Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration free. Front isolator problem fixed.Pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 09:48 PM
Mr. Moto
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vibration free. Front isolator problem fixed.Pics

I had the isolator changed at 18,000 and the bike runs smoother. The Indy shop tech who has a Super glide said Dyna’s have a tendency to go through&nbsp\\;isolators.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Expy,for a $100 it's got to be worth a shot,im busting to do it,but the bikes in Tn.&amp\\; i'm in Liverpool.
Brit.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Old 06-21-2008, 10:33 PM
Street Bob Daryl
Novice

I got my bike back today.&nbsp\\; It's much better.&nbsp\\; It now has what I'd consider normal Dyna vibes at decel, but I can now run my bike at 65 in 6th gear without it rattling my teeth out of my head.
&nbsp\\;
Epxy - Do you get some vibes at decel with the fix?&nbsp\\; I do.&nbsp\\; But, again, I *think* that's normal.&nbsp\\; I'm just not sure because I've never had a Dyna (always had softails).

Old 06-22-2008, 05:42 AM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Daryl, I still get have some decel vibes before my bike gets warmed up. Once its warmed up it&nbsp\\;mostly goes away. I consider my vibes normal and like it. Before the fix it was uncomfortable and now it runs like a Dyna should.

Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM
rok312
Tourer

Hey expy - thanks for this thread. My bike vibrates quite a bit in the lower RPMs but I never thought much of it (except it kind of bugged me that 5th gear was smoother than 6th). Hey, it's a Harley, right? Anyway, after seeing this thread and the new vs. old pictures, I went out and took a look at my front isolator. Turns out there was not a gap b/w the engine mounting point and frame mounting point as you described. Even at that point, I thought maybe it was fine, because I really didn't feel it vibrated that badly. But since this is the last season for my warranty, I figured what the hey, and took it into the dealer. I figured they would come back and give the "its a Harley", to which I would reply, "you're right - thanks for checking anyway". However, to my surprise, they said it was showing signs of tearing and should be replaced. Well shucks. So I've got a new isolator on order that they will be replacing on warranty. I'll be real interested to see the difference! Thanks again, man!!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:46 PM
expy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Good to hear rok. I think this makes 4 of us that got it replaced under warranty. I'm still cruising smoothly with my replacement.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 PM
1nuckenfut
Cruiser

&nbsp\\; This has been an excellent thread. The kind of info that can only be shared on a forum. Thank you Expy. This sounds like it should be a recall part for HD. It just doesn't seem like anyone should have to pay for this regardless of being out of warranty. Anyone had a discussion along these lines with thier dealer?

Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: dynaglider

ORIGINAL: GREENOHAWK69

ORIGINAL: Wyde Glyde Bry

ORIGINAL: dynaglider

Stock Dynas vibrate. Always have. Softails vibrate less or in a different way. I think it is a legitimate question to ask why someone so fixated on vibration would buy a Dyna.
I think it is obvious expy is talking about vibration that is out of the range of what should be expected with a Dyna. It is possible for a bike - even a Dyna - to have an issue that might cause it to transfer too much engine movement through the frame and into the pegs, bars, and seat.

+2...Exactly. That is why I had the front AND rear isolators replaced. Took care of the weird vibration and shaking I had going on at 60mph, but went away at 65+. This was done on a '97 Wide Glide with 38K miles. Do not know if they were replaced before I bought the cycle.
I think what set me off was some posts in this thread referring to the Dyna motor mounts as a "pos" or as a defective part. Now, several of you have smoothed out your ride by replacing the OEM part with a new OEM part. My point has been that the parts are the best they can be given the difficulty of the problem and the limitations of mass production. And that these parts wear out at an accelerated rate because of the hostile environment and extreme loads under which they work. And also, that each of us has our own threshold of what is too much vibration. So the point at which a motor mount is considered worn out varies with the rider. After all, some people rode earlier models with no rubber mounts and no counter-balancers at all.
&nbsp\\;
I agree with dynaglider on this one.&nbsp\\; There is only so much weight and shaking the rubber can take before it's done. Too bad there aren't any aftermarket poly urathane mounts out there. Maybe if we hound Energy Suspension enough they will start producing them.

Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 PM
dynaglider
Tourer

ORIGINAL: ackman1968
Too bad there aren't any aftermarket poly urathane mounts out there. Maybe if we hound Energy Suspension enough they will start producing them.
Energy Suspension claims two advantages for urethane over rubber (1) better resistance to oil, road salt, ultraviolet, and dry rot and (2) and less deflection under greater loads.

These traits should increase the longevity and reliability of a motor mount. But I think you will find that urethane does a poorer job of isolating vibration which, after all, is the point of this thread.

The OEM motor mounts are an engineering trade-off: decent isolation of motor from frame with only so-so longevity.

So for people sensitive to vibration, the moral of the story is to replace your motor mounts as soon as they begin to deform. The first time or two, you will be able to do it under warranty. After that it is on your own dime. (Or trade for a new or different bike.)

Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

Just wanted to post an update. Mine was replaced last week. I've put over 200 miles on it since then and the difference in the vibration is night and day.
Normal vibes in decel and at idle while warming up. Other than that I think the bike is running great. Thanks Expy!

Quick Reply: Vibration free. Front isolator problem fixed.Pics