Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I HATE Harley Dealers!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 05:46 PM
Scramboogie
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I HATE Harley Dealers!!!!!!

So I go into my local Dealer to have a new front tire installed and a safety inspection done.&nbsp\\; Well I walked out of there a whole lot lighter in the wallet and with new things that they originally said would be fine for the inspection.&nbsp\\; After they had my bike held hostage in the garage the service manager comes out and said that I would need a new rear tire and brakes as well.&nbsp\\; Now I know that the rear tire wan't near new, but still had some tread left and I think could have made it to the end of the season.&nbsp\\; Does anybody in NY know if the tread depth is supposed to be measured at 2/32 on TOP of the tread bar?&nbsp\\; It's not that I'm wanting to overlook safety to save money, but I fear the guy was feeding me a load and the tire really did have an acceptable amount of tread left.&nbsp\\; This bait and switch crap when they have your bike apart is the type of stuff that gives HD a bad name in the motorcycle world.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:05 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: I HATE Harley Dealers!!!!!!

I'm right there with ya man I loath going to the local stealer and usually save that for the "last resort".The type of stuff you mention and the typical dealer mark up combined with some sleazy marketing practices have kept me off of Harleys for years and will most likely keep me from buying another one.BTW. 2/32 actually 1/8" above the TWI is plenty of tread depth you were robbed.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:10 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most people around here go to a custom bike guy instead of the Harley Dealer. He can get all the HD accessories and gives a discount off everyday and has one of the best mechanics around.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:12 PM
GoBison
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your experience.... You should also post the Dealer info in the "BAD Dealers and Experiences" thread so other folks can read about it.&nbsp\\; Here's a link to that thread:&nbsp\\; https://www.hdforums.com/m_231961/tm.htm

Old 06-08-2008, 07:38 PM
man4mopar
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

&nbsp\\;So you had a 1/8" of tread left in the most worn spot of the tire? That is about right for a dealer or any shop to recomend&nbsp\\;or get one&nbsp\\;thinking about a new tire. 1/16" is the legal amount of tread depth, so I can understand them recomending one. They don't know your riding habits or how you pay attention to your bike.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;Say no to the brakes and tire if you want to get everything out of them. Not sure what the dealer did wrong unless they said you absolutely had to have the tire and brakes done, or they went ahead with the work with out your knowledge or consent.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:00 PM
fr21555
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Consider yourself lucky that they consented to work on your bike. The local dealer here (in NH) won't work on bikes 10+ years old, even if they sold it!
&nbsp\\;
My brother stopped at same dealer a few years back, on his way to Laconia. He needed a tire and rides an 82 FLH. Not only would they not replace the tire because it was a Shovelhead- they asked him to remove it from the lot, fearing oil might drip onto their parking lot.
&nbsp\\;
This is the kind f stuff I remember before I think of buying anything from them. Luckily, the independent shops are friendly and have a better attitude in most cases.
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TWI,that's tread wear indicator is typically at 1/16" he had 1/8" plus that, he had 3/16" most new tires only have around 1/4" to begin with.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:40 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

WoW!........A bad name in the Motorcycle World........Dammmmmm!&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; [8D]

Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
arkieollie
Tourer

I bought a SE 180 tire and went to the dealer here in town to put it on and the head tech said he wouln't install it because it wouldn't fit!!!!&nbsp\\; I had to bring it up the road TO ANOTHER HD DEALERSHIP (about 1.5 hours away) and they installed it with no questions asked.&nbsp\\; Makes me wonder sometimes.&nbsp\\; By the way that 's the only service I have ever had done on my bike.&nbsp\\; I stay away from dealerships for that very reason........
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;

Old 06-08-2008, 09:37 PM
arkieollie
Tourer

ORIGINAL: arkieollie

I bought a SE 180 tire and went to the dealer here in town to put it on and the head tech said he wouln't install it because it wouldn't fit!!!!&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I had to bring it up the road TO ANOTHER HD DEALERSHIP (about 1.5 hours away) and they installed it with no questions asked.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; Makes me wonder sometimes.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; By the way that 's the only service I have ever had done on my bike.&nbsp\\;\\\\\\; I stay away from dealerships for that very reason........and do all the work myself!
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;
&nbsp\\;\\\\\\;

Quick Reply: I HATE Harley Dealers!!!!!!