Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:28 AM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG

True the adjusters will add or subtract fuel,depending on which way you turn them,but since it's load based you can't make it run leaner than stock, if they are turned all the way counterclockwise you are adding a 0% addition to stock demands all the way clockwise 50%, I was just trying to reassure him how easy it is to adjust, so technically you can really only add fuel above stock demands, yoo cannot make it less with this device..

Old 05-31-2008, 03:28 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done. Got a new fuel line at NAPA...exact copy FI line as the original and just put on the original clamps and heat shield over it. $5 NAPA vs $47 Harley Dealer. I was actually going to get one at the dealer but both in town had NONE in stock and would have to order. After hooking up the new line I did all kinds of little tests to ensure nothing leaked...it's on there solid at both ends. May someday go with a stainless steel braided hose if anyone knows of one that fits.

I took off the SERF. Cleaned the black off all the plugs and inside the exhaust a few inches. Regapped the plugs; they are fine now and looking new. Fired it up and it runs smoother now I think...idle more stable, still great throttle response, and after a good warmup I took it around for a ride. No pops on decel, solid power (no less or more than before) and smooth all the way through the power/torque bands.

I think I'll leave it this way for a couple tanks, checking the plugs each fill-up for signs of leanness, and see what MPG I get. I can't see any reason todo anything more if it's not lean now, it runs great!

On my former bike('05 VMAX) I had a K&N with full race exhaust and never had to jet because the altitude here took care of it for me. Now, that was a carb bike and at Sea Level I would have had to upsize the jets. With FI on this Bob, I'm not so sure?

For those with the SERF...I couldn't even get to the adjusters...do the halves just pry apart?

One SERF on sale now, cheap...pm me if yacould useone

Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 PM
madden23
Road Master

Philips screw on backside.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:34 PM
flynavy
Road Master

hang on there, bros.....

I would NOT install an XIED if the bike is already running rich. The XIED will richen his mixture even more than it is now in open loop.

At that altitude, install a K&N filter, remove the fueler, and go. Betcha anything you will increase mpg by 5-7 miles and your plugs will be less black after a nice long highway ride with your new set-up

Try it...

Old 05-31-2008, 07:46 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

Again, out of curiosity, why replace the $140 Stage 1 SE/AC with a K/N filter? Is there a big advantage over the SE one?

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM
meyergsr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kansaskid72

Again, out of curiosity, why replace the $140 Stage 1 SE/AC with a K/N filter? Is there a big advantage over the SE one?
I wouldjust run the SE filter till it gets dirty or the rubber starts to fall apart, then replace the element with the K&N part # HD-0800 that fits the SE backplate $48 at easternperformance.com

Old 05-31-2008, 08:14 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,807 Likes on 2,543 Posts

The K&N filter is more durable and allows a tad bit more air. I also removed the SERF on my 05 FXDLI and installed a DFO from Techlusion, keep in mind I don't have O2 sensors in the exhaust. IMHO the DFO is user friendly

Old 05-31-2008, 08:23 PM
meyergsr
Cruiser

I agree the K&N is more durable. Flow is a little better with SE.Here are some published flow rates for air cleaners.

HD stock - 171CFM
Stage 1 Big Sucker - 200CFM
Stage 2 Big Sucker - 250CFM
Kuryakyn Twin Velocity - 270CFM
E-3014 = 248 CFM RK-3009 kit
E-3037 = 301 CFM RK-3910 kit
HD-0800 = 231 CFM SE replacement
Doherty Powerpacc - 287CFM
SE Air Cleaner - 287 CFM
Zippers - 321 CFM
Woods Carbs - 4 models 235CFM upto 340CFM
BC Overflow - 800+CFM

Old 05-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Street Bob Daryl
Novice

It definitely sounds like your bike is running rich. I have a buddy with an '05 Road King and we rode from Fort Walton Beach, Florida (home) to Brunswick, Georgia last weekend. He got an impressive 26 mpg. He put some kind of custom made/one off pipes on it awhile back. I told him over a month ago the thing was running too rich, as you can smell it when it's idling. I think he's finally convinced. lol

Old 05-31-2008, 09:47 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

Hey my garage doesn't smell like gas anymore with the bike there, back to the normal old garbage smell from the cans! There weren't fuel leaks, but I think it was so rich it eminated gas smell before.

Quick Reply: Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG