Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:33 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG

Ok, I agree and think all signs lead to way too rich...plugs, mpg, heavy exhaust soot. At 1400 miles, do you think it's built up damaging carbon in the engine?

I'm kind of not wanting to ride it until I fix something. At 6500 feet elevation the air is leaner up here...do you think I could undo the Race Fueler and try running it without damage? If so, how do I do that? The instructions for the race fueler weren't with the bike and I can't find them online. HD part 32136-06A.

Thanks for the responses!!

Old 05-30-2008, 09:45 PM
meyergsr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kansaskid72

Ok, I agree and think all signs lead to way too rich...plugs, mpg, heavy exhaust soot. At 1400 miles, do you think it's built up damaging carbon in the engine?

I'm kind of not wanting to ride it until I fix something. At 6500 feet elevation the air is leaner up here...do you think I could undo the Race Fueler and try running it without damage? If so, how do I do that? The instructions for the race fueler weren't with the bike and I can't find them online. HD part 32136-06A.

Thanks for the responses!!
You can definetly run with the slip ons and no tuner. With the air cleaner and your high altitude you might be alright, but just spend the $89 on the xied and not have to worry. Did you get the stock air cleaner with the bike? its not that hard to swap. The dealer may have put o2 sensor eliminator plugs on the bike when they installed the race fueler? Can you follow the sensor wires to see if there plugged into the wire harness?

Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

I do have the stock A/C...I'll follow the wires when I get back to the garage tonight.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:02 PM
speedjunkie
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, since I can't read spark plugs, try this:

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm

Don't the let the bike idle too long and then check the plugs either. It will make the plugs look worse than they really are.

BTW, I considered the nightrider mod before I bought the t-max. But, it was my money and I wanted what I felt was the best for my current and future situations. Best of luck.

Mike

Old 05-30-2008, 10:09 PM
meyergsr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: kansaskid72

I do have the stock A/C...I'll follow the wires when I get back to the garage tonight.
The rear o2 sensor plugs in under the seat. The front oneis behind the voltage regulator. Follow the wires to see if there plugged into the bikes wiring harness. You could experiment with riding the bike without thefueler and the stock air cleaner. I am pretty sure the race fueler is made by the same people who make the DFO and TFI these 2 boxes use O2 sensor eliminator plugs on 07 bikes. Having your sensors disconnected usually kills the gas milage.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 AM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

Ok, checked the O2 sensors and they are both connected.

Brought up the tank a little to get access to the Injector wires to unplug the SERF and gush--Broke the end of the fuel line just raising the tank a slight bit! Fuel started coming down the tube and all over the garage floor, not real fast but a little stream. I quickly pinched it off. Got the injectors back to normal and removed the SERF. Everything is back to normal except now I'm draining the full tank of gas into a gas can sloooooowly saving that precious $4/gallon. Thento the dealer tomorrow to get a new fuel hose with that fancy quick connector on the end like the stock one. Will get new plugs too...probably some SE performance ones or something. Back the fuel will go into the tank and I'll start it up and see how it runs. I'm going to keep the SE1 A/C on for now...I want that performance gain. If it runs too lean with it on I'll order the T-Max or the XIED at that point.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:44 AM
kansaskid72
Account Retired

KBFXDLI, Just wondering why a K/N filter...shouldn't the SE1 A/C that was $140 be just as good?

Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM
madden23
Road Master

Umm.. why don't you just readjust the SE race fueler to run a little leaner, you adjust with a scewdriver, just like tuning a carb, all you can do with this kind of device is add fuel,all the pots have their minimum or o add turned all the way counter clockwise, just like a volume control, if you turn it all the way clockwise you have added 50% more fuel. Turn down the volume on that thing! You have 3 fuel adjusters 2 rpm adjusters and an accelerator adjuster on that thing, it's a very simple unit to adjust. Hope this helps. Peace.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:44 AM
madden23
Road Master

Sorry forgot to mention one more thing, make sure its plugged in properly, plug with yellow/white leads goes to front cylinder, yellow/green leads to rear. The fueler is using a loadbased algorithm that tracks exactly how much fuel the PCM is calling for and adds a fuel percentage based on the adjuster setting, as mentioned previously you can add 0-50% above what the PCM is calling for. If you turn them down you add less fuel. Play with it you cant' add less fuel than the bike is asking for stock, so don't worry about damaging anything.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
meyergsr
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: madden23

Sorry forgot to mention one more thing, make sure its plugged in properly, plug with yellow/white leads goes to front cylinder, yellow/green leads to rear. The fueler is using a loadbased algorithm that tracks exactly how much fuel the PCM is calling for and adds a fuel percentage based on the adjuster setting, as mentioned previously you can add 0-50% above what the PCM is calling for. If you turn them down you add less fuel. Play with it you cant' add less fuel than the bike is asking for stock, so don't worry about damaging anything.
It looks like you can subtract fuel on 05 and later. Just an FYI.

[align=left]E. SCREAMIN’ EAGLE PRO EFI RACE FUELER[/align][align=left]Tune the fuel flow on your EFI bike. The tuner can electronically[/align][align=left]add fuel in much the same manner as increasing[/align][align=left]jet size on a carbureted system. It allows for quick tuning[/align][align=left]for the addition of less restrictive, free flowing intake and[/align][align=left]exhaust systems. The Fueler offers “bands” of adjustment[/align][align=left]that take into account operating ranges, such as idle, acceleration,[/align][align=left]and steady speed. The Fueler is a self-contained[/align][align=left]unit that requires no computer interface. Adjustments are[/align][align=left]made by setting fuel, RPM and accelerator pump potentiometers,[/align][align=left]with changes monitored on LED indicators. Race[/align][align=left]Fueler can be adjusted to add additional fuel for ’96-’04[/align][align=left]models, and add or subtract fuel on ’05-later models. The[/align][align=left]compact unit is designed for “plug-in” installation and[/align][align=left]remains on the bike for convenient tuning. Tuner affects[/align][align=left]fuel delivery only and cannot change rev limit or spark[/align][align=left]timing. For race application only.[/align][align=left]32132-04 Fits ’96-’04 fuel-injected Dyna,[/align][align=left]Softail and Touring models. $224.95[/align][align=left]32136-05A Fits ’05 fuel-injected Dyna,[/align][align=left]Softail, and Touring models,[/align][align=left]and ’02-’07 VRSC models. $224.95[/align][align=left]32136-06A Fits ’06-’07 fuel-injected Dyna,[/align][align=left]Softail and Touring models. $224.95[/align][align=left]32173-07 Fits ’07 fuel-injected XL models. $224.95[/align][align=left][/align]

Quick Reply: Help w/diagnosis--bad MPG