Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help to choose mufflers, this is not a typical muffler post, please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008 | 12:05 PM
Solitario
|
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help to choose mufflers, this is not a typical muffler post, please help

hello all! Im going to change stock mufflers but the problem is that here in Spain we have a lot of problems with police and exhaust sound and every 2 years we have to pass a sound level test. I am looking for a muffler louder thant stock and louder than SE street legals (wich sound more or less like stock) but nothing that rumble the earth. The problem is that there are not many harley bikes in spain so I cant compare mufflers. I like V&H slip on muffler with quiet baffles but maybe it is to much sound eeven with baffles on. I would like a deep tone and a clasic look and I thought that you guys in the states have seen many many diferent HD with diferent muffler and could help me with to choose the right ones. Thank you very much for your help! If i where in the states I will put cobra drag pipes but if i do that in Spain police will stop me in every corner... and I chose muffler instead of full exhaust system because muffler are easy to change every 2 years to pass sound test with stock mufflers. Thanks a lot!

Old 05-29-2008 | 12:25 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Default RE: need help to choose mufflers, this is not a typical muffler post, please help

That's a tuff one. Sounds like the only real way to judge the sound is to have one of thse meters and compare different systems to what the Spanish laws allow. You might find out what the exact decibel number is and e-mail this information to the manufacturers and ask for their advice.

Old 05-29-2008 | 12:29 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: need help to choose mufflers, this is not a typical muffler post, please help

I like the Vance and Hines slip ons with quiet baffels. I am headed to Germany where they also are tough on the level of sound, 95db is the loudest you can have. If it does not pass it is real easy to put on the stock mufflers for inspection and then change them back once you pass inspection. As long as you keep the revs down when police are around they shouldn't bother you.

Old 05-29-2008 | 12:36 PM
Solitario
|
Tourer

i have allready do this but manufacturers have no idea about wat a decibel is hahaha, Im not looking for something legal, because the highhest legal volumen in spain is stock hd mufflers so everything else is ilegal, so whatever muffler I choose should be ilegal (even street legals are ilegal in spain hahahaha) I just one to get more sound but nothing to loud like a full free exhaust. something between SE street legals and the old SEII. Any ideas? what doy you thing about V&H with wuiet baffles? the mufflers im think about are:

V&H slip on muffflers with quiet baffles
S&S slip on tappered baffles
or chage the full exhaust system and put V&H double barrel q series wich should be quieter than slip ons but im afraid they sound like street legals wich is not a big deal. I have never heard V&H double barrel q series, nobody has them in spain and In V&H web thers no sound clip for double barrel. I search in youtube and nothing, I wrotte V&H for a soundclip and they told me theres no sound clip available but they have a nice sound LOL very profesional answer hahahah

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:02 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Might consider the Rush Slip Ons. I don't have any experience w/them but they seem to be popular w/many on this board. They are available in many different baffle sizes w/the larger baffles being the louder, and the smaller being the quieter. You can go to their web site and hear the difference between the baffle sizes.

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:14 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

If Screamin Eagles are too loud then pretty much any aftermarket exhaust will also be too loud.

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:44 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

ORIGINAL: jluvs2ride

Might consider the Rush Slip Ons. I don't have any experience w/them but they seem to be popular w/many on this board. They are available in many different baffle sizes w/the larger baffles being the louder, and the smaller being the quieter. You can go to their web site and hear the difference between the baffle sizes.
+1.

Try the Rush slip-ons with 1.5" baffles. Listen to them here:

http://www.epiflex.com/dyna.html

Old 05-29-2008 | 01:50 PM
Solitario
|
Tourer

joe do you think that they sound lower than V&H slip ons with quiet baffles? thank you

Old 05-29-2008 | 02:02 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

I can't say, I haven't heard them.

I started with the Rush with 1.75" baffles, they are fairly loud but I wanted them louder so I replaced the bafles with the 2".

It is hard to compare volume or sound quality, it is very subjective.

I recommended the 1.5" baffles because that is the quietest they have available.

Maybe someone else has heard both and can give more information.

You could try calling Rush to see if they have decibel ratings for each baffle size.

Old 05-29-2008 | 02:16 PM
Punty
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at the peacemakers

here is some info

http://www.steelthundercc.com/exhaust_accessories.html

good luck

Quick Reply: need help to choose mufflers, this is not a typical muffler post, please help