Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDWG carb or efi?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:17 PM
hrchdog
|
Tourer
Default FXDWG carb or efi?

Looking at an 03 wideglide with carb. Is this a good model or should I look for one with fuel injection?

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:21 PM
Punty
Road Warrior
Default RE: FXDWG carb or efi?

theres nothing wrong with carb'ed models. Actually I find they are cheaper and easier to work on.

the choice is yours good luck

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:45 PM
Tattooedlife
Cruiser

Depends on your preference. EFI has less start up problems. Carb'd bike takes longer to warm up. I like the sound of the carb'd bikes. And couldn't afford a new bike with EFI. I have no problems with my carb'd fxdwg. It is a little cold blooded on start up when its cool out, but other than that , no probs.

Old 05-28-2008 | 05:54 PM
RKLeo
Road Master

Ive had both and as some have mentioned, carbs are easy to work on.
I resisted EFI but now I love it. Hit Start and GO.

Also if you travel through different elevations the EFI adjusts itself. A carb bike in Florida might have a rough timegoing tothe Rocky Mountains without an adjustment

Overall, I like them both

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:43 PM
hrchdog
|
Tourer

I think I can wait a couple minutes for warmup on a carbed WG. I will have to change the bars to a T type, will this require new cables? Sorry for my ignorance, I worked on the metric bikes for years but I always wanted a harley. Now the time has come to finally get one. Other than exhaust and intake what are some other recommended mods?

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:52 PM
hedquistk
Intermediate

Carb all the way and forever.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:32 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

It's not just warming up that EFI excels at, I never have vapor lock issues or hard startingin hot weather eitherlike I have hadwith carbs. I would never go back to carbs now that I have an EFI.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:57 PM
subculture08
Tourer

The guys I ride with gave me crap about getting EFI. But it did not take long for them to see all of the benefits, different elevations, warmup etc. Now they all say they will get EFI on there next bike.

Old 05-28-2008 | 08:07 PM
ken10652
Cruiser

I own an 02 Wide Glide, great bike and I love the carb. Other things to think over would be a windshield, some kind of bag either saddle bags or a sissy bar attach road bag. The tool bag in front under the light looks great and carries the allen wrenches ect. I didn't go for the saddle bags because I just couldn't get over the blocked off look, that plus the Stealership wanted 700.00 for the Dyna Wide Glide bags, hell for that I could get the whole cow and eat for 6 months before I get the bags. Be safe, enjoy the ride.

Old 05-28-2008 | 08:13 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

carb vs efi is personal preference. I think the efi is a little more rider friendly but the EFI is much more expenseive to modify then to rejet the carb.

Quick Reply: FXDWG carb or efi?