Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal wiring on Wide Glide bars

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Internal wiring on Wide Glide bars

OK here I sit contemplating moving my turn signals from the handlebars to the front forks on my '07 WG. The problem is the internal wiring from the factory. I have taken the switch housing apart once to change out the grips but I would like to know if you did this how hard was it to pull the wires through out of the bars? I could just cut the wires and install new turn signals as a friend said to. Also what do I do with the hole in the switch housing where the original turn signals were? It is hard to cut a perfectly good wire though... [:@]

Old 05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Internal wiring on Wide Glide bars

Greg, don't know if this will help at all, but....

Last Winter, I changed my bars to a set which were the same specs as the Wide Glide, but were only 1" in diameter. In the process of trying to run my harnesses through the bars, something required me to need to pull them back out (can't remember specifically what it was). It was extremely tight and I skinned some of the wires.I had already planned to relocate my signals, so the wiring I pulled back out didn't include the signal wires.

Based on what I experienced,I would cut the wires, and solder on new ones for the relocation. I think your friend's suggestion is the way to go.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 PM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget to mention, i don't know why your switch housings would be different than those on my 06 Super Glide. My signals mounted to the bottom of the mirror stems. The holes in the housings were occupied by the mirrors. The right side signal was directlymounted tothe mirror stem. The left side had a ball mount recepticle between the signal and the mirror stem. I had to cut about a 1/2" off the threaded mirror stems in order to use the acorn nuts.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Mine are like yours. The wires from the turnsignal run up into the switch box. On my WG all the wires from the switches are inside a sleeve and then they are ran through the bars.

I did not know about having to cut the mirror stem for the acron nut, but that makes sense.

Thanks for the info.