Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:16 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?

Thanks, John.
Yikes!! That could be VERY dangerous.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:18 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 05-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

I didn't get this letter or any other when I bought my '06 Low Rider.

However Isaw a letter posted on this site (and didn't save it) that was a follow-up to the one you posted.

It said that the 15,000 mile replacement was no longer necessary, and changed the interval for changing trans lube.

Anyone have that puppy?

Sammi

Old 05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
l.ray
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 07 s g c is in need of a bearing! guess i'll face the same issues?
l.ray

Old 05-28-2008, 07:13 PM
Timmer
Road Captain

John, I just had my bearing replaced for the 2nd time 3 weeks ago, 15800 miles. My warranty runs out June 8th. I asked my squealer if they would replace it again after the warranty ran out and I was told that since it would be a pre-exsisting issue, they "should" be able to replace it. So in other words, bend over & grab 'em!

Sammi, you probably didn't receive the bulletin because your bike was made after the "problem" date. I didn't receive one either. Timmer

Old 05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Timmer

Sammi, you probably didn't receive the bulletin because your bike was made after the "problem" date. I didn't receive one either. Timmer
Mine went out during the warranty period at5,500 miles.

I am also curious what happens if it goes out again now that the waranty has expired.

Sammi

Old 05-29-2008, 07:12 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

this was the after letter

[IMG]local://upfiles/9202/48DC63AD92E94A38A6755E79096644D8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-07-2009, 07:32 PM
harleyshrew
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bringing this thread back

Just reading through anything re Inner Primary bearing. Had heard about this through our forum (HDRCGB) last year and owning an 06 Street bob, I actually ordered the parts in case mine went............Pity I didnt take them to France two weekes ago, where during what was supposed to the trip I had dreamed about all my life, riding my harley to the french Alps with my good lady, the IPB went. Managed to get it fixed which blew most of our holiday money, and arriving back in England I think its gone again. First letter to HD UK pleading for recompence went out today.
Now feeling quite depressed, this is not the first problem with this bike, and although I never expected excellent reliability from the Bike I have wanted since I was 10 years old, I was hoping for a little better than this.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:47 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Ipb

John- If you wind up replacing the bearing yourself, do yourself a favor and use a Timkin bearing. I had mine replaced with the Timkin when I had the chrome inner primary installed. I just realized this is an old thread so disregard.

Last edited by dyna rider; 07-07-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: old thread
Old 07-08-2009, 02:51 AM
06WGRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 WG IPB went at 8500 miles and Out of Warranty. Here's what I did. I found all the posts regarding the issue and printed them all out in one nice neat package. I was learning that somew had no help, others had some, and others got the presidential treatment by getting new cases and bearings. I made some calls to a few local dealers and asking them if they would go to bat for me with the MoCo. All said they would but some sounded more sincere then others. The dealer I purchased the bike from actually sounded the least sincere. I ended up taking my bike to the closest dealer and spoke with the head mechanic. He hadn't heard of the problem but I gave him all the info I had and he said he would see what he could do. Regardless, I had to get the IPB replaced. I went to breakfast and cam back to the dealer to meet my ride home. My bike was up in the air and the primary cover was off and the bearing was pulled. By the time I got home the mechanic called and said the job was done, new bearing, new race and NO CHARGE. Just have all your ducks in a row and be persistant but not a jerk or they will just tell you to beat feet and don't bother comming back....ever. If you want it to be free then it's worth sucking up a bit.

Quick Reply: Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?