Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 06:32 AM
hddave2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?

lol..well im not going to gloat..i have enough bad luck as it is...thanks for the reply

Old 05-26-2008, 08:14 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

John- It all depends on the dealer. When I asked my dealer about doing it he said he hadn't heard anything about it. I replied I could bring the HD instructions on the bearing. One of the mechanics replied that it was something they were supposed to keep an "eye" on and to replace if needed, at customer expense. I just went ahead and replaced mine with Torrington bearings when I put on the chrome inner primary. The whole point being that it is totally up to the dealer. I havent gotten sh*t out of my dealer ever except a little graphite in the ignition switch.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49448/869000A1E9794E11A63A7AA47F4B219D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2008, 08:22 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmpancoast

That sounds like the one.

Whether you have to worry about it or not remains to be determined.

The only reason mine went bad is because of a recentthread to which I responded. The post asked if anyone had a trouble-free Dyna. I gloated as I responded by saying 12,000 trouble free miles.

I guess I should have known betterafter a previous like situation.25 years ago, I gloated as I told someone my ex would never look like her mother. She also was out of warranty and ended up costing mea fortune.
Now that is damn funny.

Old 05-26-2008, 03:49 PM
lesrrt
Novice

Yeah, I will do myself if they clearly won't do it being that the warranty ran out. Tomorrow will be one week since dropping itoff. Funny, they said they would call later that day to give me an estimate and never did. I am not foreign to these bikes and have worked Sportsters before. Just a shame because I missed Rolling Thunder at the Pentagon; always had a great time there. I hope this problem is resolved before I get my Road King around x-mas. Road My fathers 03 back from Myrtle. Man,What a difference.

Old 05-26-2008, 04:11 PM
dyna2319
Tourer

Just started hearing some noise from the tranny on my 06 wide glide with about 9K miles. I did buy the bike new but according to the dealer mine was built after the bearing issue came up.The noise seems to go away when I put it inany gear but the tranny seems really loud now when I take off and shift thru the gears.Can bearly hear the pipes over the tranny noise. I am fortunate I took the extended warrenty and will check with the dealer on what they will do. The bad part is that I leave for three weeks next Sunday and the dealer will charge me for storage if they fix it before I return.
Is there a "better" bearing to replace this with or did the factory just have a bad run here?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:27 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought I'd read somewhere that Harley had stepped up to the plate and was doing 15k-mile bearing replacement free of charge on all the 6-speed bikes?

Old 05-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Punty
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rockon

I thought I'd read somewhere that Harley had stepped up to the plate and was doing 15k-mile bearing replacement free of charge on all the 6-speed bikes?
sure it would be the right thing to do, but Iwouldnt expect much. any idea where you read it?

I do recall reading that it wasnt all 06's but a limited # of bikes, all of which had the bearing not lined up correctly which lead to premature failure.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

I've seen it referenced in a couple places...somewhere on the Motorcycle Cruiser page...I saw it on a page last night and can't think what it was. All I know is that they said HD was really stepping up to the plate on this one, since the issue with the bearing is some sort of inherent design flaw, and that they would replace it free of charge at $15k, and that some dealerships would even pay for transportation.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:56 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's one linky...halfway down the page: "something didn't turn out quite right because Harley is telling Dyna owners to bring their bikes in every 15,000 miles to have a primary drive bearing replaced. Harley is picking up the tab though, apparently for life, right down to picking the bike up if that's required."

I've seen similar write-ups on numerous pages...also in an article on that same website regarding the '06 SuperGlide.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roa...ide/index.html

Old 05-26-2008, 06:00 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's the one about the '06 Super Glide: "All these improvements were supposed to offer greater durability and increased load-carrying capacity, but something didn't work out as planned because there is currently a service bulletin calling for owners to have a primary-drive bearing replaced every 15,000 miles. Harley has really stepped up in the matter and will pay not only for all the parts and labor, but also to have the bike taken to the dealer. Some owners see this as a nuisance, but others regard it as a free primary-drive service and an opportunity to get the bike to the dealer for regular service, as well."

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/fea...ser/index.html

Obviously there's nothing authoritative about these articles, but it's not like Harley has contradicted them or they've issued a retraction. And it's not the only place where I've seen that kind of statement.

Quick Reply: Anyone had primary bearing replaced outside 2 year warranty?