Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bolts, nuts, parts or pieces get loose??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:11 PM
BoomSoon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which bolts, nuts, parts or pieces get loose??

Hey I know a real simple question. But for this new rider I was curious what things are the most common on a Dyna that come loose? I know I don't need to check from head to toe on every ride but can I get some feedback on areas that are more prone to come loose, which ones to always use loctite(all?) and what needs not be touched? Thanks

Old 05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Which bolts, nuts, parts or pieces get loose??

in 7 months and 5k miles nothing on my bike has ever come loose....there was some talk of checking the belt pulley bolts on the rear wheel.... loctite jjust about anything you may find yourself unfastening then fastening back... the blue stuff unless the service manual calls for red....

if you do your own service the service manual is your friend!!! worth the 50 odd bucks to be sure you torque to specs and cover all bases while maintaining your ride.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 PM
Morloka
Cruiser

on my 1200 after a year of riding I lost 2 peg bolts on the road side(left) imagine my suprise when I down ****** and the whole assembly swung forawrd, and I also check the acorn nuts on my windshiled ever six motnhs they tend to get loose due to the vibration from the wind, just s few that I have noticed

Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 PM
Dynaflyer
Road Master

FWIW, Lost the screw that holds the BACK of the seat on. It doesn't call for any loctite but I'm considering using some.[:@]

Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 AM
GoBison
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Morloka

on my 1200 after a year of riding I lost 2 peg bolts on the road side(left) imagine my suprise when I down ****** and the whole assembly swung forawrd, and I also check the acorn nuts on my windshiled ever six motnhs they tend to get loose due to the vibration from the wind, just s few that I have noticed
+1 on the acorn nuts - heard the *tink* and then saw it roll off the edge of the tank. Poor F[sm=smiley35.gif]ER in the cage behind me prolly got a surprise.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:35 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll 2nd the rear seat bolt. Other than that the only thing to loosen up has been the oil filter, get a drip and tighten again.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 AM
20LowRider02
Tourer

Does the screw loose sitting on the seat count?

Old 05-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior

Yeah, pretty much anything w/o loctite eventually comes loose - best to go over the bike a few times a year as preventive maintenance. Over time you will begin to notice some patterns of likely culprits worth double checking after long rides. Seat bolt comes loose mainly I'd suspect because when sitting on the seat you take tension off the bolt which is usually tightened when you're not on it. Besides loctite, try tightening seat bolt when you're on the bike -- takes some contortion or sit on it backwards (ouch?). HA! Actually, have someone else sit on it when you tighten it.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

+1 on the service book. My bike is still at the dealer being repaired for the "pulley bolt experience". What I normaly check is tire pressure,bars,pegs,mirrors,shift linkage and oil before every ride. Take 10 min. before you start out and make sure to carry a multi tool with you. Good Luck and enjoy...