Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire and rim swap opinions???

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 12:18 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire and rim swap opinions???

I am thinking of changing out my stock spokes off my street bobfor a set stock rims off a Dyna Glide and need some opinions. I like the spokes but more difficult to clean but they may fit the style of bike better than the rims. With a good polish the rims would shine up nicely but just not sure of the look. I put the front rim on and want some advice.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: tire and rim swap opinions???

The rim shown would look better in bright chrome IMO. Ditch the black calipersfor chrome ones and put on polished rotors. But whatever you end up doing, your scoot is knarley. BB

Old 05-23-2008, 12:50 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LIKE THE SPOKES BETTER. ARE THOSE CHROME? IF NOT I WOULD NOT DO IT.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:02 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser

I am also looking at the fact of serviceability. Rim's = No tube so you can plug and go, easier to clean than spokes as well and the tires on the rims are like new with less than 1500 miles on them. The spokes aren't stainless and after one year are showing signs of rust on them as well as in the seems of the spoke rim. The swap won't cost me a dime other than the labor and it's half done. I think I can get the polish after these rims and really make them gleam.

I still want opinions but I have a feeling I can't pass up the chance and I could always go back to spokes later with the twisted look. I have been thinking of going with a 60 spoke rim and hub assembly anyway which would have these laying in waste. In my opinion Harley should have put a 60-80 spoke rim with twisted spokeson the bob from the get go instead of a 40 spoke but I guess $17,000 wasn't enuff to do that. LMAO!

Old 05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
ehc0720
Tourer

Take a look at the Renegade wheel called the Scottsdale. Solid one piece wheel made to look like a spoke wheel.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:52 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser

The deal was too good to pass up. I loved my spokes but cleaning them and keeping them rust free was beginning to burden me. A swapped out the spokes off my street bob for the custom rims and tires on Dyna Glide. The tires were like new with less than 1200 miles on them and it didn't cost me a dime. I had been doing some work for a friend on his bikes upgrading parts and exhaust and stuff and he made me a deal in trade for payment.

What do you guy's think. I had a hard time convincing myself to give up the spokes but in the long run I feel likeI'll be better off and they are growing on me.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:37 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe i think they look great,you certainly got a good deal, and after all its your bike. Iknow where your coming from with the spokes i,d rather have paid more and had stainless rims and spokes from go, i,ll probably go that way when funds allow.
Your bike as a whole looks great, maybe a new camera to really show it off ?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:50 AM
2007fxdb
Cruiser

I bought a set of the dyna glide stock cast spokes and powder coated them white and they look bitchen. I got a while blakc and white theme going on. Onlu chrome is Bars and exhaust hopefully soon to change to fix.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:30 AM
woolf
Intermediate

I just swapped the other direction. My cast Superglide wheels for street bob spokes. Personally I like the spokes, but that's just one man's opinion.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:45 PM
joeld0803
Cruiser

Well I was hoping to get more opinions on this swap. It's a done deal now and I am working on spraying the rough casted areas to match the color of the paint job. I finished part of the front wheel today. I'll take pics when I am done with a better camera. Like I said before....I loved the spokes but would have ended up going with a 60-80 spoke wheek eventually so I wasn't satisfied with the 40 spoke rims and the spokes being zinc coated and not stainless were already showing rust. As for the pic........
Theproblem with the better camera is that when I pasteit in photo bucket it is so large on the post that it takes up too much room.
Can anyone tell me how to edit the photo size in photobucket so that the pic comes out smaller on the posts?

Quick Reply: tire and rim swap opinions???