Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Turn Signal Relo Kit on 06 Wide Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 10:05 AM
FastPitchFan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Turn Signal Relo Kit on 06 Wide Glide

I'm considering the H-D Front Turn SignalRelocation Kit, P/N 68564-06,for my 06 Wide Glide. The parts guy at the local dealership said the installation requires removing the tank to route a wiring harness. I 've had a few other people tell me it doesn't require removing the tank. So, before I spend the money, I'm wondering if there is anybody out there that has done the installation and can tell me how it was. The wires for my current signals go through the bars.
Any help would be appreciated, especially any how-totips.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: Front Turn Signal Relo Kit on 06 Wide Glide

There is two ways to tackle this project:

1. Cut the wires and tuck them away. Pull the plugs from the back bone and disconnect them form the wire harness. Cut these plugs off as close to the wire sheeth as possible. Buy two new turnsignals and mount them and install the old plugs on the new wires. Run the plugs as neat as possible back to the neck.

2. Remove the handle bars completly from the bike. All the plugs for them can be found in the back bone. There is a loop that is wire tied behind the battery box to allow you more length to get to all the plugs. Take the handle bars complete with switches to a work bench. Remove the wires from the plugs for the turn signals (there are three wires each) and then slowly pull them through the sheeths. Reinstall the wires in to the plugs. Then reinstall the bars back on the bike. Install the turnsignals and rerun the wires.

I have watched someone do this but have yet to do it on my bike. I will be doing it the first way I mentioned. I picked up a set of brand new turnsignals of ebay for $45....

Good luck...

Old 05-23-2008, 10:19 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

When I relocated mine on my 05 WG I did not have to remove the tank. I did have to find a place for the extra wire length, but that was no big deal. No rewiring was involved at all.
On mine the wires are run back under the tank through wiring channels, and the wire can be pulled back some by removing the seat and tugging the wires at the turn signal endto see which onesthey are, then gently pull back towards the seat. It was all of an hour start to finish.
Since your wires are currently in the bars you will need to cut and resplice them some where. If you have to pull them out from under the tank,you can pull a pull wire in there placeas you pull them out, and use it to put them back after you splice. Still an easy project, unless the 06 is drastically different from the 05.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough call. If it were me, I'd leave the wiring in the bars in case you ever decide to go back. Pulling wires through the bars is a time consuming bitch. Were I to do it myself, I'd splice into the harness under the tank and run them myself to wherever the relo kit designates. That said, I bet you can remove the tank bolts and lift the tank as needed to get to the harness.

In any case, I wouldn't pay the dealer's price to do it. Grab a soldering iron and a service manual. You'll save a ton of ca$h and still have the manual and tools when it's done.

I didn't like the bullets either and installed Kury LED mirrors, so the wiring didn't change much.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:01 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ktm_scott

Tough call. If it were me, I'd leave the wiring in the bars in case you ever decide to go back. Pulling wires through the bars is a time consuming bitch. Were I to do it myself, I'd splice into the harness under the tank and run them myself to wherever the relo kit designates. That said, I bet you can remove the tank bolts and lift the tank as needed to get to the harness.

In any case, I wouldn't pay the dealer's price to do it. Grab a soldering iron and a service manual. You'll save a ton of ca$h and still have the manual and tools when it's done.

I didn't like the bullets either and installed Kury LED mirrors, so the wiring didn't change much.
Did you need to add a load equalizer? I've been thinking about the lighted mirrors & the Kury's look pretty good.
GPM

Old 05-23-2008, 02:00 PM
ehc0720
Tourer

I have an 06 WG also. I swapped out the mini-apes for the street slammers and had the turn signals moved at that time, at no extra charge except the $29 for the relocation kit.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Shrug
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grandpawmoses

Did you need to add a load equalizer? I've been thinking about the lighted mirrors & the Kury's look pretty good.
GPM
Nope. Wired them straight up to the old harness. As long as your other lights are not LED, you'll draw enough current across the relay to maintain a decent flashing cadence. The HD LED mirrors look better, but not enough over the Kurys (to me) to warrant the additional cost.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:57 PM
doulos
Cruiser

I would get kuryakyn silver bullets and mounting kit #2390. The H-D relocation kit sticks the signals too far off the forks for my liking.