Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaming about a FXDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
chuckyj95
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dreaming about a FXDX

Hay everbody I have been doing some research and am looking into getting a FXDX or aFXDXTin the fall of 09 or spring of 10 (thats weird to right). I want to make sure that I have all the info togetter first. Is there any good sites about and that are dyna spasific. Also in your opinion is it worth looking at a 10 year old bike or should I what a little longer and get a brand new bike. With exseption EFI how many other things have changed. O and way in hell did they stop making the sport dyna's this would be so much easier if they still made the brand new ones.

Thanks
Chuck

Old 05-21-2008, 02:51 PM
wafu321
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Dreaming about a FXDX

'05 was the last year for the FXDX so you could be riding a 4 or 5 year old bike.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
DrSmaggs
Tourer

I have a 2005 FXDXI They pop up every so many years

Old 05-21-2008, 03:08 PM
SK8ROD
Banned

just get a Harley as soon as you can

Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
chuckyj95
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: SK8ROD

just get a Harley as soon as you can
They cost to dam much to just buy a harley and I am too tall for a sportster or I would buy a 883R this year. I do have a nice bike I just want a crusier next and the more I look every thing is so ganeric compared to a harley.

Old 05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

Just wait till you can afford what you really want. Thats what Im doing and I think someone else should have to wait like me. Im in hell.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:39 PM
chuckyj95
Intermediate

Ya thats what I am doing just trying to research it to death

Old 05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 274 Posts

I could have bought new (still can...) but wanted something more versatile and with better handling potential than "stock" because I planned to build up the engine...ended up with a super clean low mile FXDXT. I gotta laugh when even HD mechanics ask "What kinda Harley is that?" or "Where did you get the little fairing?"
If I were to buy again I would be looking for an '02 FXDXT; would settle for an '01, which I have. There's lots of HD's out there that are garage jewelry; low miles and clean; you just gotta look hard and move fast when "it" is found. As far as specific sites; I haven't found any other than boards like this. The FXDXT was made from '01 to '03, and the FXDX from '00 to '05. The '01's and later have the better suspension and brakes; after '03 HD quit using the timken bearing on the drive side of the crank; it's considered required on serious motor build-ups. The front forks are adjustable for pre-load and compression/rebound dampening. The '01 and later shocks are adjustable for pre-load and rebound dampening. The frame is the same 28 degree rake as the standard FXD. I spent a lot on mine, but have exactly what I want and haven't seen another like it yet. Any specific questions?

'01 FXDXT
some aluminum and some composite
103 by HQ
goes good
handles ok
620lbs wet weight

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/723B82975F494036AC3C73B921D038E9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32069/7865B37A38C141928922B54AD9142557.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-22-2008, 03:19 PM
gar4mayor
2nd Gear

i just happened to stumble across mine at a dealership earlier this year. from what i read here and heard at the dealer, the FXDXs didn't sell too well so they became the Street Bobs. it is kinda cool having a bike no one else has. most of the time people think its a modified night train.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:51 PM
DynaRoyce
Advanced

Well Bro, I always say if you can't dream, you can't live.

The dealer I bought my FXDC from had a pretty nice little '03 FXDX, and I was really leaning toward it. If I wind up having to replace mine, I think I too would seriously consider going this route. Here's why:

- Twin brakes up front. My FXDC seems to stop reasonably well, but it would unquestionably stop better with twin rotors up front. And, it's not like a Dyna...any Dyna, is a light bike. Twin front brakes aren't even available for the '08 yet - probabably won't be for a while, if ever. I saw one cat post here who used the sliders off of a VRod and did it, but that seems like a rather pricey way to go. But, doable.
- You can find EVERYTHING to mod the hell out of anything from 00' to '05.
- Do not fear the carb-fed 88, my friend. Harley made several million of them, and they seem to work fine. In fact, some prefer them because the fuel injection induces a higher idle. You have many, many fine options for carb upgrades, as well.
- Do not underestimate the value of an adjustable front-end, if you find one of those.
- Do not fear buying a five, six or ten year old Harley. Anything that's worn out can be replaced. Besides, we all know the girls with laugh wrinkles are more fun!

Again, I was really tempted to run with the one my dealer had. But, after I considered all the mods I wanted to do, I realized I was looking at more ca$h than a brand new one, which is how I went. I would go in the direction Sharkey has (very, very nice job on that, bud!!), but with some slight differences.

Keep throwing pennies into that jelly jar on your dresser and keep your Dyna in sight! We'll be here for you when you score one.

RBN

Quick Reply: Dreaming about a FXDX