Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines 2-1 Propipe HS **UPDATED**

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:58 PM
beendad
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines 2-1 Propipe HS **UPDATED**

I purchased this pipe a little over 4 months ago for my 03 wideglide. It delivers awesome performance and sound and up till now has looked great as well, however... yesterday I noticed what I thought was a reflection of some dirt in the parking lot on the rear section of the pipe. Upon closer inspection, it turns out to be a rust colored haze on the under side of the pipe. After riding it home I see that it is creeping up around the top of the pipe as well. I tried my best to clean it last night to no avail! This morning I called V&H tech dept. The guy tells me this is a common problem with this pipe as is it was made prior to them coming up with anti blueing technology! They are being very helpful so far and I have a call in to a manager in hopes of trading my megaphone for a new one. The reason for this post is to pass down some info to anyone thinking of buying this pipe. It is a great pipe, but if you purchase it, take some time to install some "chrome gaurd" which can be purchased from JP Cycles. Apparently, according to V&H, you take the innards of the megaphone apart, put 2 coatings of this "chrome gaurd" on the inside of the chrome and this will act as an anti blueing agent. There is, unfortunately, no cure for an already blued, or in my case browned pipe however. We'll see what happens with the sales manager!

Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Vance and Hines 2-1 Propie HS

same thing happened to me. I didn't get anywhere with getting any sort of free or discounted replacement... I just bit the bullet and bought a new one. The guy told me the same thing, and I did get that stuff from J&P... works great.

I only wish they would have provided such usefull information up front.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:19 PM
beendad
Road Warrior

That's what I'm talkin about! Would have been nice to know before shelling out big bucks for it! How far up the ladder did you get before giving up on them replacing?

Old 05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm curious to see how V&H handles this.
Not to change the thread, but I went thru the same kind of story with some ceramic coated Hooker Headers for my truck.
Called tech and told them what was wrong, tech guy says, "oh, yeah we've been having trouble with that same problem, seems the ceramic is too porous and allows moisture in, causing the rust."
So I'm thinking if they know there is a problem, they'll replace it/make it right.
WRONG.
Couldn't be farther from the truth.
Offer to have me send the headers back and they'd re-do them for $350!(the same cost as getting a new set done).
I told him where to get off and never bought any other part from them and advise everybody who'd listen to do the same thing.
Back to your original programing....

Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any of you guys have trouble with the clamp that goes around the muffler at the collector. ?

I did.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:31 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: beendad

That's what I'm talkin about! Would have been nice to know before shelling out big bucks for it! How far up the ladder did you get before giving up on them replacing?
not very far. If you start looking at printed material from V&H (and likely all the pipe companies), there are disclaimers about discoloring all over the place.

BTW - if anyone is interested in buying my old megaphone - you know, for the baffle most likely ... you know where to find me.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
thrillseeker
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: labfreak

Any of you guys have trouble with the clamp that goes around the muffler at the collector. ?

I did.
if you mean when taking the original off to put on the replacment... yeah, it took a little elbow grease to work it off.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:11 PM
beendad
Road Warrior

Thanks, I'll keep everyone updated when I hear back from her. By the way, what did a new megaphone end up costing you?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AARGH!

Old 05-22-2008, 11:34 AM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thrillseeker

ORIGINAL: labfreak

I did.
if you mean when taking the original off to put on the replacment... yeah, it took a little elbow grease to work it off.
No, actually, did you have any trouble with it sealing, staying tight enough? That was my problem, I had to replace it with a heftier clamp and then wrap my collector and pipes.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines 2-1 Propipe HS **UPDATED**