Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Left turn signal turns on the hazards?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Left turn signal turns on the hazards?

So my 2007 Street Bob developed an issue this morning. When I turn on the right turn signal, everything works like it's supposed to. But when I turn on the left turn signal, the Hazards(both signals) turn on along with the Security light(the little red key on the dash). I'm currently running the stock front turn signals, but I have deleted the rear turn signals and I'm using a Kuryakyn Panacea tail light with integrated turn signals for the rear(it's been on there for about a year with no issues). I'm pretty sure that ifI bring it in to the dealership, that they'll instantly blame the Panacea, so I thought I'd try to doa little of my own diag before I brought it in. Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions for me?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:16 PM
socobandit
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Left turn signal turns on the hazards?

not sure since its been a year with the rear light, but w/o an equalizer for the led's, might've taken out the turn signal module

Old 05-19-2008, 08:18 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: socobandit

not sure since its been a year with the rear light, but w/o an equalizer for the led's, might've taken out the turn signal module
The Panacea comes with a load equalizer. Any other ideas?

Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser

It is unlikely the Panacea damaged the TSSM. LEDs draw less current than bulbs, and load equalizers function to increase the current drawto fool the TSSM. Otherwise the TSSM will sense the lower current andwill think a signal bulb is burned out and will increase the flash rate of the signals to about twice the normal rate. From your description, it sounds like a fault in the TSSM. You should check fault codes and see if any TSSM codes show up. I'massuming the TSSM is basically unchanged from 2005 modes.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: GaryInSanDiego

It is unlikely the Panacea damaged the TSSM. LEDs draw less current than bulbs, and load equalizers function to increase the current drawto fool the TSSM. Otherwise the TSSM will sense the lower current andwill think a signal bulb is burned out and will increase the flash rate of the signals to about twice the normal rate. From your description, it sounds like a fault in the TSSM. You should check fault codes and see if any TSSM codes show up. I'massuming the TSSM is basically unchanged from 2005 modes.
What is the TSSM and how do I check it for fault codes?

The flash rate is the same as normal, BTW. It just flashes both turns when you hit the left one.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
GaryInSanDiego
Cruiser

TSSM = Turn Signal/Security Module. As the name implies, it controls the security system and turn signals. It is a small encapsulated electronic module, and I'm not sure where it is located on a SB. On my 05 lowrider, it is located in the electronics bay on the left side below the seat. You may want to get advice from a SB owner, but if it is like my 05, there is a procedure for checking any fault codes that have been recorded by using the turn signal switches. The codes are displayed on the odometer. The turn signal switches and the lamps connect to the module through a single connector. It is easy to replace and setup. If you don't have a service manual, it may be best to just take it to the dealer. Any dealer tech should be able to check the codes in his sleep in 2 minutes. If he tries to blame the Panacea, try another dealer.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 AM
hawkdsl
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I'm sure the 07 computer (tssm) might be different, but heres how to get the codes for an 02 (tssm is the same on all bikes, but there might have been changes to it sense 02):

press and hold the odom/trip switch (black rubber button on the side), and turn the ig switch ON. Each time you press the button, the screen will read DTS; code # or CLR if there is none.
If all that is clr (4 or 5 clicks to show them all, i forget which). Try this:

set run/off switch to OFF

turn the ing key: ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON
press LEFT turn switch 2 times: the flashers will flash - 1 times> worldwide tssm, no security. 2 times> North American Domestic. 3 times> All others (European/HDI).

Press RIGHT trn sig 1 time: Lights will blink once.
Press RIGHT trn sig 1 time: lights will flash 2 times
Press RIGHT trn sig 1 time: lights will flash 3 times
Press LEFT trn sig 1 time: LIGHTS WILL FLASH THE ERROR CODE(S); There will be a long (5 second) pause, and the lights will repeat the codes until you CLEAR, or turn the ing off

To clear the codes, press and HOLD LEFT trn sig for 4-5 seconds: lights flash 2 times to show all clear

turn off the ing.

Yea, its a cluster of a way to get the codes, but it works (or might for your 07).

CODES (number of flashes the lights give): Example- FLASH FLASH pause (1.5 seconds)FLASH = 21, etc.

11: bat volt high
21: left turn outputfault
22: right turn outputfault
25: ignition enable output high
31: Alarm output low (if you have one, other wise, clear and forget)
32: Alarm output high (If you have one, etc)
34: Starter output high
35: Accelerometer fault

Let us know if you try this.

If I where you, I'd pull off the seat, and check the wires that run inside the little area under the seat. You'll see two connectors that go to the rear lights in there. Make sure nothing has
worn through the wire insulation. The other (harder) place is the wires that run through the back bone under the tank. Check the wires that come out of the instrument panel at the neck
area. Wiring is a major pain, but 99% of the time, its something simple and easy to fix... when you can find it.

Hawk

Old 05-20-2008, 09:08 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i bet it is the load that the hazards give off... a usual turn sig with pulse at around 9v so your load equalizer is prob taking that into consideration, your flashers being that they are a slower flash and have a longer light time, always hit a consistant 12v. that is why your load equalizer is not resisting the flow... just a light, nothing to worry about, turn the bike on and off and you will be fine, how often do you pop on your hazzards?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:18 AM
RAPTORAZ
Advanced

ORIGINAL: JRK5892

i bet it is the load that the hazards give off... a usual turn sig with pulse at around 9v so your load equalizer is prob taking that into consideration, your flashers being that they are a slower flash and have a longer light time, always hit a consistant 12v. that is why your load equalizer is not resisting the flow... just a light, nothing to worry about, turn the bike on and off and you will be fine, how often do you pop on your hazzards?
I'm really not concerned about the Hazards. But I'm sure the local law enforcement would like me to have a left turn signal. I'll look in my shop manual today to see how to check for codes.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:29 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

check your conections in the tail light... if that is not it your main conector is right behind where the battery box is, you should be able to hook a circit tester to that and check to see if short is from the rear wheel well or upper part of the bike... your left signals are 5 and 3 on the plug with 5 being your possitive, just touch the leads of the circit tester to 5 and 3 and read if you get pulses going up to around 9 V that is the right one and your short is in the wires from your fender to the light... then you can test it at the tail light to see if your short is from the tail light to the signal... if so just replace that piece of wire and you are golden... i had this happen this week and i just bypassed the tail light and rand wires right from the main plug and back... let me know if you have any issues you want to be looking for a Violet wire and black... let me know if you have any issues i can help ya out

Quick Reply: Left turn signal turns on the hazards?