Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A day of days

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006 | 08:20 AM
iwant1
|
Tourer
Default A day of days

I don't think I'll forget today in a hurry. What a fantastic day. Today is the day that I picked up my new Harley Davidson FXDCI and rode it home.

About three months ago I decided to buy a Harley. I'd been doing the right thing and catching public transport to work after buying the wife a people mover to ship the tribe around. Anyway, after a year of that, I realized that I needed an injection of fun in my life (I think that is the definition of the mythical mid-life crisis). There have been two big issues with getting from that point to where I am now with the bike in the shed.

1. Tax and accounting - I wont bore you with the details but I've been able to organize for my bike to be purchased with pre-tax dollars. I've been talking to accountants, researching taxation law etc. to make this happen as it's a "Grey area". This took about 2 months.

2. Which bike - A common problem. I must have changed my mind at least 5 times. In the end the Dyna had everything that I wanted and the custom had those finishing touches that I was after. I don't need to tell anyone in this area of the forums why to choose a Dyna. We all know why they are a great bike. Making up my mind involved visiting bike shops, going through the posts on this fine forum, reading reviews, magazines...

But today it was all worthwhile. Got to the shop and there she was sitting out the front. Brilliant silver and Chrome - I love it. I've got about US$3000 of accessories on order but unfortunately most of them have not arrived (full set of braided lines, 10" Apes, heated grips, removable sissy bar, tallboy seat, extended forward controls). However the "go fast bits" had arrived and were fitted (SE2 slipons, SE Airfilter and download).

I went through the mandatory sales process which was pretty good, particularly compared to the production line that you get for a new car, where you are palmed off to 4 or 5 different people, and spat out at the end. I got shown the ins and outs of the various features of my bike, and as part of that, the salesman kicked the bike over. FARK ME, that sounds awesome. Man I love that sound. I had the "idiot grin" happening from that point onwards. I'm sitting here with sore facial muscles from smiling too much for too long.

At last "It's all yours" said Mr Salesman, and with that I started her up and then rode my new Harley for the first time. It was also the first time I've ever ridden a Harley having only ridden sports and dirt bikes before. Off I went down the road. yeeehaaaaa.

I was all thumbs at first as I hadn't yet memorized the locations of the indicators, and embarrassingly hit the kill switch, and of course the motor died, but within a fraction of a second turned it back on and she fired up like nothing had happened. Seconds later hit the horn by mistake instead of the other indicator. If I wasn't still wearing the idiot grin I'd have smiled with embarrassment. My god these things pull like a train. I'm used to having to rev the ***** out of bikes to get them to go but these are all glorious grunt.

My apologies for the crap picture but I didn’t get the chance to put the bike in a spot where I could take a decent picture. Will follow up with better shots tomorrow, and of course once all the cool stuff has been fitted.

I’m off to read the manual. See you on the road.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6224/687A21233C6C40E282CD92BE8D8B3FB9.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-25-2006 | 08:29 AM
streetbobjim
Cruiser
Default RE: A day of days

nice one. im waiting on my street bob, the anticipation is a killer. im sure you have a ton of fun on your bike. you chose wisely there,

Old 02-25-2006 | 12:44 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

well you put a smile on my face this morning. Great story and I hope you enjoy every minute on it.

Old 02-25-2006 | 12:56 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member

nice nice nice.welcome to the family

Old 02-25-2006 | 01:38 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

I think the dyna is the best all arond bike your gona love it . you blast around town hall a$$ though the twisties , and with a few detachables wind/backrest, and some throwover bags you can go anywhere usa

Old 02-25-2006 | 04:47 PM
grizzly
Road Master

You wont be sorry with the Dyna...... Congrats and welcome to the family!

Old 02-25-2006 | 05:02 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior

The Grin last a long,long time.. Only to be lost on rainy days...
Welcome to the familly....

Old 02-25-2006 | 05:22 PM
Shift_4lo
Road Master

Nice bike, i still get a grin every time i start up my bike.

Old 02-25-2006 | 09:27 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

Awesome man...and you made a GREAT choice on the bike model!

I smile everytime I fire it up and shake the walls of the garage.

...Now, move the bike over and make me a hamburger on that grill. [8D]

Old 02-26-2006 | 12:26 AM
iwant1
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

Awesome man...and you made a GREAT choice on the bike model!

I smile everytime I fire it up and shake the walls of the garage.

...Now, move the bike over and make me a hamburger on that grill. [8D]
Ha ha, no worries mate. I'll throw another prawn on the barby (That's cook another shrimp on the outdoor grill in yank speak)

Quick Reply: A day of days