Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old Rider Returns with Questions on Used FDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Muzzlehead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Rider Returns with Questions on Used FDX

Hi All,

I'm asking questions everywhere as I start looking for a used FXD Super Glide.

I just retook the MSF basic skills class after having been off a bike for 10 +years and now not only am I ready to ride again, but I'm ready to buy. Currently a friend is letting me borrow a '76 650 Kawasaki to beat around on as I get some road skills back (I would prefer not dropping a $9000 + bike). I'm 6'1 190#slearned to ride in '89 owned several metric cruisers over the years.

I'd like to find a used Super Glide FDX (2003-2007).

Are their any particular issues I should be aware of with certain years?

What is considered low miles on a bike vs average miles?

If you could only ask the current owner only one questions about the bike what would it be?

Is it traditional in a private party sale for the owner to agree to a mechanical check at a shop prior to sale?

I need to get through Maryland State inspections any suggestions or warnings on this?

Some have suggested looking for oil residue in the air filter and exhaust pipe. I was also told that after market slip on pipes should not affect state inspections as long as they are baffled and the rest of the emission system has not been tinkered with.

Thanks

Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Old Rider Returns with Questions on Used FDX

Muzzlehead: I can't help you with the questions about the Dyna; but, welcome to the Forums; good luck with your search!!!

Old 05-19-2008, 06:30 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back to the road. Fortunately, what you're looking for is very doable. First, I recommend Ebay. There's some good...no great deals to be gotten on Ebay as people move from the dyna to the baggers. So if your not familiar with Ebay (most people are) or have a paypal account (very easy to use) I suggest you do so. For the year you mentioned I'd try and stay under 20,000 miles max. AlthoughI have a 2000 with 32,000 miles and I'd jump on it right now and go across county without a second thought. Most guys take good care of their bikes so usually that's not a problem. You'll pay more at a dealer for a used bike but if you know what you're looking for and depending on the dealership stock...deals can be had. The FXD is the entry model and there's "nicer" (more chrome) dynas out there...I wouldn't rule them out.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like a mirror image of me. We are the same build,I have been riding since 63 but had about a 8 or 10 year break before getting back into riding about a month ago.
I found a 2002 FXD,one owner with 7600 miles. It had lots of extras! Chrome goodies,seat,pipes,jet kit,forward controls,windshield,etc. New rear tire and battery. The guy kept a printed maintenance record. I need to put a new front tire on it soon. I found the forward controls to be uncomfortable,so I put the stock controls back on and hwy pegs. Also put the stock seat back on. He had a Sundowner seat but it seemed to position me an inch or two farther forward than the stock seat. If I find myself riding alot I may be looking for a Heritage or a Road King. As stated,check ebay,craigs list or local online sale sites. Good luck and welcome to the forum.[sm=biker.gif]
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-19-2008, 09:10 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Bought my 1st bike ('56 KHK) in '61& sold my last bike ('72 xlch) in '74. Now 34 years later I said "screw it, I'm gettin' another Harley". Found a like-new FXDBI with 10k miles on craigs list, bought it & am now in hog-heaven. Good luck on your quest.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi and welcome!

Since You are getting an almost new Dyna! I would try
to find one that is customised as You want.

Be sure to get the original pipes with.

Good luck

Old 05-19-2008, 10:46 AM
Muzzlehead
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Johan96

I agree and assume the reason to get orignal pipes has to do with inspections and emissions.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:05 PM
cfdcaptain99
Cruiser

I bought an '05 FXDI with 4800 miles with forward controls, chrome primary, chrome cam cover, and chrome tranny cover, V&H short shots, Stage 1, and RevTech tuner for $8800.

They changed the chassis slightly for '06 and added a six speed tranny, then in '07 you get a 96" motor. I like the looks of the front end better on the '06 and newer bikes. They went to beefier forks and did away from the headlight "eyebrow".
If you're looking for accesories like chrome and pipes, sometimes buying used is the way to go. That stuff all costs big bucks if you buy it yourself.

The FXD still has the handlebar-mounted speedo, which I personally don't like. You can buy an '08 FXDC (custom) in black for $12,995 which has alot more chrome and a bigger tank with a tank mounted speedo console. That's a pretty good buy IMO.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:08 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Lots of used bikes with under 10,000 miles. One big question...has the bike ever been down?

Old 05-19-2008, 04:28 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Muzzlehead

ORIGINAL: Johan96

I agree and assume the reason to get orignal pipes has to do with inspections and emissions.
Sooner or later we will have to do with inspections[:'(]