Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake and clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008 | 10:05 PM
blacked out
|
Cruiser
Default brake and clutch

got a stupid questions forgive my ignorance ...... I have some black levers I would like to install on my 2008 street bob the clutch and the brake is this a hard job and i do have them service manual and can't seem to find it in there.

thanks again

gordo

Old 05-19-2008 | 05:59 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: brake and clutch

These levers are pretty easy to change.

The clutch side:
[ul][*]On the left side of the frame, slide the rubber boot up the cable to expose the adjustment.[*]Loosen the jam nut, then turn the adjustment nuts to shorten the length of the cable housing.[*]Use a pair of external snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring from the pin on the clutch lever.[*]As you remove the lever from its perch, you will see another pin which secures the cable to the lever. Slide this pin from the lever.[*]Install the new lever in the opposite order of the above[*]Turn the adjustment to lengthen the cable housing. You should endup with about 1/8" of play in the lever when properly adjusted.[/ul]
Note: You may want to get a couple new snap rings from the dealer as the old rings stretch easily and may not be suitable to reuse.

The brake side:
[ul][*]The brake lever is removed the same way as described for the clutch lever.[*]Be careful of the brake light switch which is recessed in the brake side housing. It is very easy to break.[/ul]
Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:29 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

New levers should come with instructions. I just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago. Much easier than it looks. Basically, do what jmpman said. I also used a marker to make a mark on the clutch adjustment nut and counted how many turns to loosen it and turned it back the same number of turns to tighten it - then fine adjust from there. If you don't have a pair of snap ring pliers, get some, it will make this and other jobs easier. I picked up a pair of Craftsmen that are reversible so I can use it on both types of snap rings. It also came with interchangeable tips so I can use it with different size rings. If you aren't too rough with the snap rings, you should be able to re-use them. As for the brake lever, be careful as jmpman said. Not too difficult though but work it such that it slides out fairly easily. If you find yourself forcing it, it's probably not in the right position to come out. You can use the new lever as a reference to see how it is positioned in there and you'll see how to move it to get it to slide out. Took me about 20 minutes to swap mine out and most of that time was dealing with the clutch cable.

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:35 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

The more you do the more you learn pretty soon your the pro!

Old 05-19-2008 | 08:01 AM
blacked out
|
Cruiser

you guys rock thanks for the info

gordo

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:48 AM
nycfxdl
Tourer

jmpan is right on the money with instructions

Replaced mine with a black slotted from DS a few weeks ago. Pretty easy only took 10 min.