Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust in Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:52 PM
bartles
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust in Fuel Tank

Just bought a used 03 superglide, 14K miles on it..........discovered that tank is some
relatively heavy rust in it, stopped up fuel screen. After cleaning the tank and carb,
what can I do to prevent this from happening again? Is there a tank/fuel additive
that will stop the rust from breaking loose?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:56 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Rust in Fuel Tank

You will want to put a in line fuel filter on it, but you really have two choices. Replace the tank with a new tank, or pull the tank off and coat the inside with a gas tank sealant. You can buy the kits online for not very much but it will make a give a gel like coating to the tank to keep rust from beaking off. My dad restores antique tractors and does this all the time. I also have a 1981 Shovel with the inside of the tank coated. Works great.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:18 AM
Chipstah
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And to keep it from happening again, keep your tank topped up whenever possible, especially if left sitting for long periods of time, especially when storing it over the winter - it's the darn condensation that can raise havoc inside a tank.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:33 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: wbogley

You will want to put a in line fuel filter on it, but you really have two choices. Replace the tank with a new tank, or pull the tank off and coat the inside with a gas tank sealant. You can buy the kits online for not very much but it will make a give a gel like coating to the tank to keep rust from beaking off. My dad restores antique tractors and does this all the time. I also have a 1981 Shovel with the inside of the tank coated. Works great.
+1 on the tank coat freind of mine restored a 72 Kawi and it worked great you could not find a new tank been about 2 years now seems to be holding up fine

Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I coated the inside of an 86 Virago tank with one of the kits years ago and it worked well for a few more years until I got rid of it. I'm not sure I'd be satisfied with that on a Harley that I planned on using for years to come, though...

Old 05-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Biker Bob
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Try some #6 or #8 lead shot. You can buy a 25lb bag at most gun shop. Remove the gas tank, drain the gas, close the petcock, pour the shot in through the gas port, put the gas cap back on and shake the tank back and forth. It may take a while but it will work. The shot will not harm the inside of the tank but will remove any flaking rust and do a really good job of cleaning any surface rust. For a better job, mix some corn cob media (again found at most gun shops) into the shot. It’s just like polishing ammo brass before reloading it. BB

Old 05-15-2008, 12:31 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy a replacement tank? To prevent future rust, keep the tank full of gas especially when storing for long periods of time.