Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5000 Mile Service

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Default RE: 5000 Mile Service

Good for you man. I believe everybody should at least know how to do preventive maintenance on their vehicles. Even if it takes you all day to do it you will be learning and each time you do it, it will get easier/quicker. In the long run, just changing your own oil will save you a big pile of cash. And later if you are flush enough to have someone else do it, at least, you'll know how to do it.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:46 AM
misterkidgo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you do to prove you did the 5000 mile maintenance to keep it under warranty?

Is it just receipts?? Are there any other DIY/warranty considerations?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts

Keeping receipts can't hurt but I believe just noting it in the service record part of the warranty or owners manual is sufficient. If you have the receipts, hang on to 'em until it's out of warranty.
I suppose there is a litany of considerations regarding DIY/warranty maintenance. The major ones being ones mechanical capabilites and willingness to learn from mistakes (and there will be mistakes). Regarding oil changes, use the right oil for the application, replace gaskets/o-rings on drain plugs and don't overtighten the plugs when replacing them (just snug 'em up...there is an o-ring that'll do the sealing as the plug is seated). I was around when a friend of mine changed his oil for the first time (2003 FXSTI). There was some of that liquid sealant with teflon on the threads of the plug as well as the o-ring. I don't know if that is factory or not. We had some available so he used that when installing the drain plug. Get a couple of cans of brake cleaner...that stuff comes in quite handy for cleaning parts and the surrounding area on the bike when servicing it. Oh yeah, if ya ain't got rags/shop towels, get some. Old socks and t-shirts are my standard rag. I recycle my oil at a local auto parts store with a recycle oil tank. Whoever it is that runs the recycle program provided (free) some 5 quart size reuseable plastic bottles to store the old oil in until I bring it in for recycling. They accept the old oil filters too, just drain 'em for about 24 hours before you turn 'em in (less mess for them). On an old bike like mine (1979), the drain plugs use gaskets, not o-rings and I just check 'em to see if I have to replace them first...usually they will last for many oil changes because I use the solid copper ones.