Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob front end chatter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
wrobo13
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob front end chatter???

Tech guys out there,

When I brake a little hard, mostly using the front brakes around 15 MPH coming to a stop, the front end chatters a little. Also, anytime I hit the front brakes, they seem to make some ticking noise, as if the brakes have an ABS feel?? Any suggestions. Im taking it in for the 1000 mile service next SAT, I think I will tell the stealership about it and see what they come up with.

Thanks-

Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 PM
dleeds
Cruiser
Default RE: Fat Bob front end chatter???

I don't have any chatter that I've noticed, but I do have the ticking sound from the front brakes. I asked the dealer about it and was told it was normal while the brakes are wearing in. I don't think that's what it is because after 1200 miles it's still there, and I use my front brakes alot. I think alot of Fat Bob owners hear the same thing, somone (I forget who or what thread) said it was from the rotors on the front have way more holes in them than most, and there are 2 of them. I guess it's as good a reason as any, as long as they work.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wrobo -

I know EXACTLY what your talking about since I had the same thing every time you slowed down using the front brake. I would also get it going over the lane bumps on the freeways or just rutted out road. It's the stock fork oil. It's crap. Upgrade to the Screaming Eagle Heavy Fork Oil and it will take care of that and reduce front end dip drastically. Now, just having them replace your fork oil can be costly in our bike so the trick is to take it in for the problem and make sure they take a look at all of the internal components. Let them know to put in the heavy fork oil instead when they put it back together and you'll pay just the difference in the cost of the oil over stock........basically just a few dollars and that problem will be gone.

I talked about this issue in an earlier thread but just go get this done and you'll see. Update us with the results.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 AM
Lineskinner
Novice

My fat BoB Is only three weeks old and it chatters also when braking. was going to call dealer this weekend.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
db252
Road Captain

Really, just upgrade the fork oil as I talked about above and that issue will be gone. They should have put that oil in from the start.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:31 PM
wrobo13
Intermediate

DB252,

I agree 100% with you. I was watching close today when riding home from work and noticed the front forks vibrating up and down a bit while braking hard. I think with the upgraded fork oil will be the fix.

Should the stealership do that or are they going to give me the run-a-round, I mean, the bike has 950 miles on it...and it seems the front forks are failing already.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:04 PM
streetbobby
Advanced

Im so glad to hear others confirm this.....Ive been pulling my hair out trying to get to the source of the clicking noise and the shudder. The stealership told me the ploblem was in the steering head.....but they wouldnt call it warranty....because I have done all the service so far. My next project will be heavy fork oil replacment.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:41 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

OK fork oil,but about the clicking noise when you brake my stealer /sales rep guy said the clicking is caused by the holes on our front discs. there are more of them than what is on the back disc for instance. I think that clicking noise will stay until the discs are changed out. hopefully that willbe a long time from now!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:37 PM
db252
Road Captain

If you are under warranty, and I know you are wrobo, all you have to do is tell them there is a noise coming from your fork sliders that isn't right. They will have to disassemble them to look inside but nothing will be wrong. Just be sure to tell them that you would like for them to use the heavy fork oil when reassembling if they have to take them apart (hint - hint)

Another thing that people hear a noise coming from the front end is usually the front rotors if they have floating rotors like our Fat Bob. Why it is completely a different noise that what we are talking about here, it is not uncommon for some to have it. I don't for one. Oh, and the rear rotor is not a floating rotor so no noise.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:09 PM
wrobo13
Intermediate

UPDATE!!!!!!

Took the bike in and had the tech ride it and listen to the front end- during the 1K service on Saturday. The stealership (the tech) told me the noise was perfectly normal!!!!!!!!!! That was at the dealership I bought it from which is about 60 miles from my house. I think I will take it to the local dealership and see what kind of bs they give me about it. Although this is my first Harley, I have spent over 20 years on motorcycles, dirt bikes, snomobiles,etc... Front end chatter on a $16K motorcycle that has 1000 miles on it is not normal right????

Tell me if I am crazy...

Quick Reply: Fat Bob front end chatter???