Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob front end chatter???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:37 PM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Fat Bob front end chatter???

1000 mile should include adjusting stearing head nut which should take out the chatering, the famous front end clunk will arive if not done. I think the brake clicking is normal, mine does it too and it doesnt seem to hurt anything. I also upgraded to the SEHD oil, seems to be ok, 10,000 mile adjust the steering again, it can be just the top nut which is 50 lb t, mine was at 25 at 10,000. or the full adjustment on the washer. I dont think the upgrade is aplicable for the bob front end.
Also the front fork oil change only cost me about 90 bucks, you dont have to pull the front end apart if you know what you are dong, just pull the front wheel, I had mine changed out around 7grand.
And the floating are sort of a PITA on bumps.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 PM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: wrobo13

UPDATE!!!!!!

Took the bike in and had the tech ride it and listen to the front end- during the 1K service on Saturday. The stealership (the tech) told me the noise was perfectly normal!!!!!!!!!! That was at the dealership I bought it from which is about 60 miles from my house. I think I will take it to the local dealership and see what kind of bs they give me about it. Although this is my first Harley, I have spent over 20 years on motorcycles, dirt bikes, snomobiles,etc... Front end chatter on a $16K motorcycle that has 1000 miles on it is not normal right????

Tell me if I am crazy...

Okay, we need to make sure we are not confusing the two items (clunk and chatter). These are two seperate items.

The 'clunk' occurs from the fork stem that HD has a service bulletin out that replaces a washer and confirms torque spec. This usually only makes the sound once when applying pressure to the front brakes each time the brake is applied. The Fat Bob is not included in this service bulletin however because it already has the upgraded washer.

The 'chatter' occurs at the sliders and it is a repetitive chatter that occurs under low speed braking when using the front brake. This occurs because of the fork oil being so thin that it produces almost no damping factor which causes a bouncing vibration at the springs that produces the chatter.

I can't stress it enough.....have them take the forks apart becauseyou are sure that there is something wrong and you'd like to have it looked at and if it's not too much trouble please replace the fork oil with the heavy duty grade when they put it back together. You can't ask them just to change the fork oil because the stock oil is not deemed to be a service bulletin issue so they would charge you full rate (heavy duty fork oil + labor....$$$). If they take the forks apart to look into any mechanical problems like you complain about, they can only look at itas a warranty issue therefore not charge you labor. You just pay the difference between what the stock fork oilcosts and what the heavy duty oil would be ($9). This is what I did and it has fixed it 100% and it has stayed that way over the next 7000 miles. Once they put it back together and you pick the bike up, they will tell you they couldn't find anything wrong but low and behold the chatter is gone (as long as they put the heavy duty fork oil in). Hmmmmm.

And finally to your question. I will call you crazy if you don't do this. If you do get this done and it doesn't work, you'll be out $9 and you can call me whatever you want......but I'm really not worried about it cause I know the result.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
sideshow bob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problem with my 06 street bob and since I had had it in the past on a sportster I went straight for it .....all it was , was the head stock bolt at the top of the forks needed tightening, you have to unscrew the chrome cover and get a big socket and wrench to fit the bolt head give it about a half in" turn and street bob is your uncle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52858/2C3F48EC7F92426E803DE00EF85B0E78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 06:26 PM
TARTAN2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: db252

ORIGINAL: wrobo13

UPDATE!!!!!!

Took the bike in and had the tech ride it and listen to the front end- during the 1K service on Saturday. The stealership (the tech) told me the noise was perfectly normal!!!!!!!!!! That was at the dealership I bought it from which is about 60 miles from my house. I think I will take it to the local dealership and see what kind of bs they give me about it. Although this is my first Harley, I have spent over 20 years on motorcycles, dirt bikes, snomobiles,etc... Front end chatter on a $16K motorcycle that has 1000 miles on it is not normal right????

Tell me if I am crazy...

Okay, we need to make sure we are not confusing the two items (clunk and chatter). These are two seperate items.

The 'clunk' occurs from the fork stem that HD has a service bulletin out that replaces a washer and confirms torque spec. This usually only makes the sound once when applying pressure to the front brakes each time the brake is applied. The Fat Bob is not included in this service bulletin however because it already has the upgraded washer.

The 'chatter' occurs at the sliders and it is a repetitive chatter that occurs under low speed braking when using the front brake. This occurs because of the fork oil being so thin that it produces almost no damping factor which causes a bouncing vibration at the springs that produces the chatter.

I can't stress it enough.....have them take the forks apart becauseyou are sure that there is something wrong and you'd like to have it looked at and if it's not too much trouble please replace the fork oil with the heavy duty grade when they put it back together. You can't ask them just to change the fork oil because the stock oil is not deemed to be a service bulletin issue so they would charge you full rate (heavy duty fork oil + labor....$$$). If they take the forks apart to look into any mechanical problems like you complain about, they can only look at itas a warranty issue therefore not charge you labor. You just pay the difference between what the stock fork oilcosts and what the heavy duty oil would be ($9). This is what I did and it has fixed it 100% and it has stayed that way over the next 7000 miles. Once they put it back together and you pick the bike up, they will tell you they couldn't find anything wrong but low and behold the chatter is gone (as long as they put the heavy duty fork oil in). Hmmmmm.

And finally to your question. I will call you crazy if you don't do this. If you do get this done and it doesn't work, you'll be out $9 and you can call me whatever you want......but I'm really not worried about it cause I know the result.

This noise was doing my head in so thanks for the heads up !

How hard is it to change the oil myself ??

Old 05-19-2008, 08:08 PM
wrobo13
Intermediate

DB252,

I'm sure you are right about the oil. I will try and swindle the dealership into looking at the front endand kindly ask to replace the oil with heavy weight while they are in there.

Thanks for the help-

Old 04-03-2010, 01:11 AM
mayneman
Cruiser
Default Thanks~!!

Originally Posted by sideshow bob
I have had the same problem with my 06 street bob and since I had had it in the past on a sportster I went straight for it .....all it was , was the head stock bolt at the top of the forks needed tightening, you have to unscrew the chrome cover and get a big socket and wrench to fit the bolt head give it about a half in" turn and street bob is your uncle.

[IMG]local://upfiles/52858/2C3F48EC7F92426E803DE00EF85B0E78.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks for the info on your experience. I had the same problem with my 1999 Wide Glide, I did exactly like you suggested and it completely fixed the problem.

Thanks again!! You may have saved me a bunch of ca$h!!

Old 04-03-2010, 02:05 AM
hdcnner
Cruiser

if you change the fork oil....

i would change the springs also....
i put progresive suspension springs in em.....
steering and ground contact is much better and breaking is also better!!!
and this mod is not an expensive one!!!!!!

Old 07-23-2012, 08:18 PM
FatBob11FXDF
Intermediate

I went around and around with my dealer about this. It is the front brakes and it makes this noise because the disc are free floating and when depressed they chatter. Trust me I went to several HD dealers and actually contacted the President of Harley via email, and he sent the head east coast tech out to my dealership. He rode my bike and assured me it was normal. Still after paying 15,000 I didn't think I shouldn't hear anything when applying my brakes and stressed that fact to the Pres and the head tech, so for my trouble they put on a set of Rush Slip-Ons and a stage 1 air cleaner at no charge.

So now I can't hear my brakes.

Last edited by FatBob11FXDF; 07-23-2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 PM
Broken Wing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FatBob11FXDF
I went around and around with my dealer about this. It is the front brakes and it makes this noise because the disc are free floating and when depressed they chatter. Trust me I went to several HD dealers and actually contacted the President of Harley via email, and he sent the head east coast tech out to my dealership. He rode my bike and assured me it was normal. Still after paying 15,000 I didn't think I shouldn't hear anything when applying my brakes and stressed that fact to the Pres and the head tech, so for my trouble they put on a set of Rush Slip-Ons and a stage 1 air cleaner at no charge.

So now I can't hear my brakes.
Okay, now that's funny as #ell! It's like having the doctor stomp on your foot when ya' tell him yer' elbow hurts.

I've got the exact same braking chatter ('12 Fat Bob). I'm thinkin' crown bolt too. Prolly hit the dealer to torque it.

Last edited by Broken Wing; 07-23-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:07 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Before you do anything else check and adjust the fallaway as per the w/s manual. This has causes a load of clunks and rattles on Fat Bobs due to incorrect adjustment from the factory.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob front end chatter???