Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accessories fuse blown 7 times in 1500 miles

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Axman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accessories fuse blown 7 times in 1500 miles

I have a "small" problem with the accessories fuse. The one controlling turn signals, brake light and so on.

So far I am up to 7 fuses and I always carry a couple extra ones in my pocket. There just is something wrong with using hand signals when I have a brand new bike.

I have a theory what it might be, I have tried to find something in comon and the only thing I can think of is this: It happens when I use my turn signal and I cancel it at the same time as the automatic function for this kicks in and cancels the signal. I am not sure this is the reason but it has happened twise when doing this that I am sure of and I think there are several times more that this was the situation.

What do you think, could this be the reason and if this is the case, what is the fix?

The bike is a 2008 Fat Bob that I got in october 2007.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:22 PM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Accessories fuse blown 7 times in 1500 miles

Did you make any changes or have anything added ? Obviously, you're overloaded somewhere. Better take it to the Stealership and have 'em look at it (unless you're one of those techno-guys) maybe a bigger fuse...but be carefull...I'm NOT one of those techo-guys

Old 05-11-2008, 02:43 PM
jsinger
Advanced

You definitely have a short somewhere in that circuit , if the bike is still stock take it back to the dealer

Old 05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: jsinger

You definitely have a short somewhere in that circuit , if the bike is still stock take it back to the dealer
+1 you probably have a pinched or chafed wire in your system/harness. Take it back.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
dynasty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm too lazy to look it up but if the overload happens as you described it i'm thinking control unit. i just don't know if it would be a seperate component or part of a larger one.

good luck

Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 AM
84FXRP
Novice

I see your bike is an '08 - this seems to be a warranty issue.

Start with the cheap stuff first - carefully check the wiring harness for shorts.

Have you made any electrical mods to the bike?

Have you made any mods that moved the wiring.

How long ago did it start?

Are the shorts happening more often?

More likely to blow the fuse when wet?

Old 05-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Axman
Advanced

Sorry, I forgot to mention a couple of things.

I left it at my dealer twice and they took a look at it but could not find anything wrong. They triede overloading it, took it out for a run, checked cables and so on but could not find anything. But when I left it there I had not yet came up with my "theory" so they have not checked that yet. I have to test this myself as soon a I get some more fuses. It sure is a warranty issue, but when they can not get the fuse to blow whatever they do it is kind of hard fixing it.

The first time it happened was after 400 miles and I had just washed the bike. I figured it was because of water so I let it dry and because of the weather I could not use the bike anyway for a couple of weeks. Then I got only a couple of miles and another fuse blew. Left it at my dealer and they could not find anything wrong. During the next 300 miles or so i blew another3 fusesand I began to think that it happened when I canceled the turn signal at the same time as the bike canceled it. Since then I have trying to avoid that situation and during the last 800 miles 2 fuses has blown and I THINK this was when cancelling the turn signal as described above. I had the bike checked again at the 1000 mile service but they could not find anything then. One fuse blown since then.

All suggestions are good ones currently. Thanks for the help!

To answer 84fxrp:

No electrical mods

No mods moving the wiring.

See the above description for when it began.

No, less often since I tried to avoid cancelling the turn signal.

It was wet the first time it blew, the other six when it was dry without question.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:43 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

i bet you have a short in it under the dash maybe your dash is bolted down and pinched a wire,,, it could happen

Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

or it could be one of the turn signal sockets bad does it do specifically on 1 side or the other? Have you blown any bulbs? have you removed lens there still could be water inside.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:03 PM
cfdcaptain99
Cruiser

Did you have any accesories added like detachable docking hardware? You definitely have a short somewhere. The rear turn signal wires run beneath the fender back to the taillight assembly. If one of those wires is out of place, the tire can rub on it causing a bare spot. The reason I asked about the docking hardware, is that the wires get re-routed through the turn signal stems. Just a thought??? But don't try a bigger fuse! You'll end up frying wires or worse... burning it down.

Quick Reply: Accessories fuse blown 7 times in 1500 miles