Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector changes on 06s

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel injector changes on 06s

Yeah, they pretty much will have to, especially since the MoCo has said it is putting the bigger injector on the rest of the 06 bikes they build. Pretty much says...hey these dont work right, so if they bitch enough, put the big ones on!

Old 02-25-2006, 12:42 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What we need to find out is if the maps are changing for BOTH the base map AND the stage 1 map. In my situation I have the stage 1 download, if I get the swap done and have the new base map loaded I would then presumably need to get the stage 1 again as well but it would need to be a new stage 1.

Before I even think about doing this I need to know for sure if HD is changing all of the maps.

Plus these new injectors don't mean more fuel. They simply spray the fuel in a different pattern. The amount of fuel is based on the map, not the injector. At full duty cycle a given injector may be able to spray more fuel but again that is all based on what the map (computer) is telling it to do. Larger injectors are generally used when more fuel is needed at very high rpm levels where smaller injectors physically cannot flow enough. I'd be willing to bet that for the stock 88" engine that the 8 degree injectors are plenty large enough at all rpm levels.

I just wish we knew the real technical reason why HD is making this change. All this speculation just serves to get people worked up and worried, including me. 1 week ago we were all happy without a worry on our mind, now all of the sudden this bulletin has got us all worked up. In the meantime I have a perfect running bike with not a problem in the world, what should I even be worried about???[&:]

Old 02-25-2006, 12:53 AM
grizzly
Road Master

4. Update the ECM calibration. For those motorcycles
equipped with P&A Screamin’ Eagle 1450cc or 1550cc
Performance Kits, refer to h-dnet.com for the correct calibration
P/N.

Thats from the serv bull. It leads me to beleive that if you are stock, they will simply update the map, and if you have the stage one they will reload that map.

As far as amount of fuel...the ECM tells the injector how long to stay open. It does not "meter" the amount of fuel per say. Six holes spraying from the new injector at the same PSI as 3 from the original, with the same map leaving either injector open the same amount of time will push more fuel. The 06 models have a smaller injector. That along with the already lean condition is a reason for the bulletin in myopinion.....

Old 02-25-2006, 01:01 AM
grizzly
Road Master

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

I'd be willing to bet that for the stock 88" engine that the 8 degree injectors are plenty large enough at all rpm levels.
I am not trying to be a *****, but a MoCo tech thought that as well, and now there is a service bulletin addressing it.....

Old 02-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to run it by my dealer tomorrow. I have my 1000 mile service schedule for a week from now. I'm actually getting the popping, cold start issues, stumbling, etc. One thing that happened to me today was it staled. I was running low on gas and thought maybe as I started to go the fuel slooshed back causing the starvation? It started right back up, and yes, I was in 1st from the light. Not another occurence the rest of the day. I wonder ???

Old 02-25-2006, 01:07 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: grizzly

I am not trying to be a *****, but a MoCo tech thought that as well, and now there is a service bulletin addressing it.....
I'm not trying to argue either. I'm just thinking out loud. I think the bulletin is more geared towards the starting and low rpm stuff which this new injector and map must take care of.

As far as top rpm goes, they would know well before hand what the full duty cycle of an injector is and would not put an undersized injector on the engine. That goes for all manufacturers everywhere. All cars for example have appropriate sized injectors for the engine as delivered from the factory. In this case I would suspect that the 8's are more than capable of delivering the fuel needed for top end rpm, what they must have a problem with however is the angle of the spray for low rpm's. Beyond that I haven't got a clue about anything.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:17 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Yes, I was pondering the same notion. What if I get these injectors and down the road find out I was better off with the original ones. And then, the "old" style we have now is obsolete and can't be had. Here's something to sit on the toilet and think about, EPA crap is all around us, HD is stopping the sale (and some dealers stopped the installation of) their slip ons, and I'm sure more go fast goodies to come. I doubt the MoCo would stop the SE slip ons under it's own accord. It's a profit stream that just dried up on them! What if these injectors are some how tied to the new EPA constraints. Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side. I hate to have the injectors switched just to find out that the old ones are built better to handle power upgrades or something of the sort. I don't know. I'm just throwing crap out there to think about.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:24 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: grizzly

Six holes spraying from the new injector at the same PSI as 3 from the original, with the same map leaving either injector open the same amount of time will push more fuel.

You're assuming that the 6 holes on the 25's are the same size as the 3 holes on the 8's. The 6 holes might be smaller by half and in the end just spit out the same amount as the 8's with 3 larger holes. The 25's may spray the same amount but just in a different pattern. See what I mean, there is not enough information out at this point to make an informed decision one way or another.

Sure we could say "just trust the MoCo" but hey they've been wrong before on things (tranny recall sound familiar??)...

Old 02-25-2006, 01:26 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

Yes, I was pondering the same notion. What if I get these injectors and down the road find out I was better off with the original ones. And then, the "old" style we have now is obsolete and can't be had. Here's something to sit on the toilet and think about, EPA crap is all around us, HD is stopping the sale (and some dealers stopped the installation of) their slip ons, and I'm sure more go fast goodies to come. I doubt the MoCo would stop the SE slip ons under it's own accord. It's a profit stream that just dried up on them! What if these injectors are some how tied to the new EPA constraints. Maybe the grass isn't greener on the other side. I hate to have the injectors switched just to find out that the old ones are built better to handle power upgrades or something of the sort. I don't know. I'm just throwing crap out there to think about.
All very good points...I'm gonna go sit on the toilet and ponder.

Old 02-25-2006, 01:31 AM
phreak
Road Master

Never leave the dealership without your take-offs.

If you believe that maybe, possibly, someday in the phuture you might want to revert any of the changes that have been made to your bike, it's nice to have a garage phull of the stuff that came off.

Quick Reply: fuel injector changes on 06s