Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector changes on 06s

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 06:12 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: fuel injector changes on 06s

Looks like I'm unexpectedly getting my injectors swapped to the 25's.

I took my bike in this morning to get my diamondback clutch cable installed (a cable which has been backordered since July 05 when I originally ordered the bike). I had the cable, among a ton of other parts, added into the purchase price of the bike along with the labor. So I took it in free of charge for them to install it.

Well I mentioned the bulletin and pulled it out so the service manager could look at it. He said they'd read it over and let me know. I called back just a little bit ago to find out how the cable install went and to see what he thought about the bulletin. (For those who actually care about the cable install it went fine.) He said that they went ahead and ordered the injectors and that they'd have them probably within the next 6 days. So I'm just leaving my bike there (since the weather blows around here) until they complete the install.

We talked about the injectors and he stated that they did NOT flow more fuel, only that they spray it at a different angle. Which, if you read my previous posts, is what I had pretty much figured all along. With that we don't think that there is actually a calibration change, only that the bulletin makes sure that you "update" the calibration by making sure that you have the correct calibration in place. All of that however will be verified when they do the actual install and subsequently check the computers.

Now, I was not having ANY issues whatsoever like some of you others are having with surging and such. Hopefully that will still be the case once the swap is done. If for any reason my bike starts acting up after these injectors are swapped then I'm going to put the old ones back in.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: PowerCobra98

He said that they went ahead and ordered the injectors and that they'd have them probably within the next 6 days. So I'm just leaving my bike there (since the weather blows around here) until they complete the install.

Now, I was not having ANY issues whatsoever like some of you others are having with surging and such. Hopefully that will still be the case once the swap is done. If for any reason my bike starts acting up after these injectors are swapped then I'm going to put the old ones back in.
Mine were ordered last Wednesday the 22nd and they still haven't come in. I'm sure they are on back order like everyone else. I don't think you will have the old injectors to put back in as I would presume since this is a warranty repair they will keep the old parts and they may even have to send them back. I guess we will find out shortly I hope. My bike does have the problems described in the bulletin so I hope this takes care of it.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:54 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

He said that they went ahead and ordered the injectors and that they'd have them probably within the next 6 days. So I'm just leaving my bike there (since the weather blows around here) until they complete the install.

Mine were ordered last Wednesday the 22nd and they still haven't come in. I'm sure they are on back order like everyone else. I don't think you will have the old injectors to put back in as I would presume since this is a warranty repair they will keep the old parts and they may even have to send them back. I guess we will find out shortly I hope. My bike does have the problems described in the bulletin so I hope this takes care of it.
You're right, I won't have them to put back on. I called back and asked and they said that since it's a warranty repair that they have to send the parts back to HD.

From what I've read it seems that mostly the only bikes displaying eratic behavior are those in the Touring family like yours. Like I said, I have zero issues. Mine's been perfect from day 1. The only reason I'm really letting them make the swap is because if all the 06 bikes from February on are getting these 25's then I figured I might as well have them too.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 PM
JonHanna
Road Master

I spoke to my local dealer on the phone today about this. The service manager told me that they are gonna change them out in for specific batches(according to the bikes serial number). I will have to call back tomorrow and see if mine gets the new injectors. What if those bikes that are not gonna get them are having problems? Will we have to plead for them?

Old 03-03-2006, 12:04 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

You're right, I won't have them to put back on. I called back and asked and they said that since it's a warranty repair that they have to send the parts back to HD.

From what I've read it seems that mostly the only bikes displaying eratic behavior are those in the Touring family like yours. Like I said, I have zero issues. Mine's been perfect from day 1. The only reason I'm really letting them make the swap is because if all the 06 bikes from February on are getting these 25's then I figured I might as well have them too.
I got a call from my dealers service department shortly after I got home from work and my injectors arrived today so I guess they weren't on back order. It only took 8 days to get them. My dealer told me the same thing about having to return the old injectors as yours did. I have an appointment Monday at 10AM to have them installed. What's funny is that I decided to go for a short ride tonight since I haven't had a chance to ride since Sunday and the bike started on the first try. That's the first time it has ever done that from a cold start, go figure. I agree with you on having them replaced even if you are not having any problem since they are now putting them on all big twins, the only thing is that old saying which says, (If it ain't broke then it don't need fixing).

Old 03-03-2006, 12:11 AM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain

the only thing is that old saying which says, (If it ain't broke then it don't need fixing).
Trust me...that's been on my mind for the entire week. I keep having another saying pop into my mind, "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it."

In other words after I get these swapped I'll probably end up having problems. If that happens I'll just be mad at myself. [:@]

Old 03-03-2006, 12:20 AM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Q_Bik

I need to come clean here. Sme of this has gone beyond me. I am a adequate "wrench' in the sense I can disassemble and assemble most mechanical things. I operate equipment and heavy trucks and do the preventive type maintenance and wear out replacement work on them.

That being said all the talk on the 8 degree vs 25 degree injectors has me baffled.
serts?
maps?
Stage 1 Stage 2.

can someone on this forum direct me to a site where I can get more versed in all this. I wouldn't presume to have it all explained in a post as iIam sure it is mentioned in a multitude of posts and responses.
Everything you need to learn is posted on this forum. Use the search feature and try to read up on some of the older threads. There is a ton of great info here. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it's really not. It just takes time to absorb it all.

SERT - Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. Tool sold by HD. Comes with 130 page manual, hardware to link bike to computer. Allows you to adjust the settings in the ECM and tune your bike with a computer.
Map - Software settings inside the ECM. You use a SERT to create a custom map and upload it to the bike. Map controls timing, fuel mixture, etc.
Stage I - Usually a stock bike with Screamin Eagle Slip ons, and a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner.
Stage II - Same as Stage I but with a 1550 displacement kit and possibly a cam.

Hope that helps some.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:19 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my understanding that the Stage II kits are Stage I kits plus camshafts, regardless of displacement. Then there are also Stage I and Stage II 1550cc kits. The only difference being that the Stage II kits include new cams.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
spongebob
Intermediate

hi guys
spoke to my dealer in england said i was having cold start problems showed him
the injector bulliten (which he,d not seen) and he said no problem.ordered the new injectors
now i,m just waiting for the call

Old 03-03-2006, 11:29 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts

JamieWG
Everything you need to learn is posted on this forum. Use the search feature and try to read up on some of the older threads. There is a ton of great info here. I know that sounds like a cop out, but it's really not. It just takes time to absorb it all.

SERT - Screamin Eagle Race Tuner. Tool sold by HD. Comes with 130 page manual, hardware to link bike to computer. Allows you to adjust the settings in the ECM and tune your bike with a computer.
Map - Software settings inside the ECM. You use a SERT to create a custom map and upload it to the bike. Map controls timing, fuel mixture, etc.
Stage I - Usually a stock bike with Screamin Eagle Slip ons, and a Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner.
Stage II - Same as Stage I but with a 1550 displacement kit and possibly a cam.

Hope that helps some.
And IF you need more information, try here... https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_241/tt.htm

It's all set up in catagories to make it easy for you, such as FUEL, DRIVELINE, ELECTRICAL, GENERAL, DIAGNOSTICS, OIL AND CHASIS

Quick Reply: fuel injector changes on 06s