Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel injector changes on 06s

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:31 PM
grizzly
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: fuel injector changes on 06s

Well, your definately running lean with them. Jamie and I have similar symtptoms. I would be so bold to say most bikes have the symptoms He and I are seeing, some just dont notice it. They are:

Stock set up- slight surge at low rpm, however bike accelerates well and runs well at speed. lean from the factory.

Basic Stage one upgrade including: SEII slip ons, Factory down load, High Flow SE A/C- bike runs to lean. Decell pop. Runs hot.

What I beleive we have come up with is the down load was formulated utilizing the SE AC, and the HD Slip Ons. HD slip ons are nearly as restrictive as Stock pipes.
SOLUTION- keep down load and Slip ons, but go back to the stock AC, restricting air flow and fattening up the mix. This nearly got rid of any decell pop. It occurs sometimes, but very rarely. Bike also does not get quite as hot. Still, it is on the lean side, as they are stock from the factory to begin with. I beleive this is why Jamie and some others opted to go with a SERT or other device in order to have more tunablity. Both for now and future upgrades. I did not go with the SERT( I may later ) due to the fact that it runs well this way. IN fact like I said earlier, some dont see any of these symptoms, as they are not bad. But, if you have rode a lot of Harleys, you can detect it a little easier. Regardless, it is not so lean as to damage anything.

Unfortunatly, some bikes are just running like crap. DynaBob for example is having a hell of a time with his bike. I dont know why, perhaps a bad sensor? Bad batch of 8 degree injectors? Plain ole unlucky? Not to sure. I was happy with mine after going to the stock AC with the pipes and D/L, since I was no longer haveing the cold start issue popping or any of that. At slow speeds around 25MPH in 2nd I do have a slight surge. The only thing that really pinches a nerve with me now is this injector issue. If indeed it is to fix the problem peolple like DynaBob are having, Why are they putting this injector on all bikes even though some are running fine? Am I just lucky right now and I am going to have probs with the injectors in the future? If HD is going to apply these injectors to ALL Dynas now, why in heck do I have to have certain "symptoms" to get the injectors? Obviously there is an "across the board" problem or they simply would not apply the mod to all the newly produced bikes. Perhaps my slight barely noticable surge at low speed should cause more alarm than it currently does?

Am I off base there? I have decided to wait and see if this 25 degree injector mod helps, see what "symptoms" it actually cures, and then go from there. Although it is on the lean side, I dont think I am to lean currently. Like I said, bike runs great. We will see if she runs to hot this summer. Its just the slight surge, and the "WTF factor" of this Injector issue.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:01 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: grizzly

I have decided to wait and see if this 25 degree injector mod helps, see what "symptoms" it actually cures, and then go from there. Although it is on the lean side, I dont think I am to lean currently. Like I said, bike runs great. We will see if she runs to hot this summer. Its just the slight surge, and the "WTF factor" of this Injector issue.
Good idea......I spoke to my dealer service mgr. and he said to wait until this thing plays out before you stage 1 your bike. He also said it's best to wait until you have at least 1500 miles on the engine because some engines run differently after break-in and you shouldn't dyno an engine until after because you might have to do it all over again. He did say the SERT was the best way to go because then they can dyno the bike and make it run fine specific to each engine and what you put on it. So, I bought my pipes and ordered my SERT but will probably wait until Winter to do the complete job. Worst case scenario the new injectors cost $180 for the pair if HD won't pay but I think they will. My bike only pops when its below 45 degrees out. So I want to see how it runs this Spring first. But, I am doing the whole job at one time...pipes, SERT, injectors, A/C, and dyno tune. Otherwise why screw around and only do it half way?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:25 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My SERT came today. Already hooked it up to the bike and tested it out. No probs yet. The Stealer says they contacted the moco about my request for new injectors and they'll call me in 10 days. I had the recall work done this week and picked my bike up today. I'm very disappointed in my dealer because they tried to hit me up for $35 for warranty work. I refused to pay and the service manager refused to come talk to me. They just waved the charges. It was a small shot at some free money. I'm tempted to call the moco and report them, but I guess I better wait and see how this injector thing works out before I totally burn that bridge.

I'm planning to do a data mode run tomorrow and see how the bike looks on the SERT. After that, I'll create a custom map. It got too dark to get it all finished today. BTW - You can get the CVO injectors for $57 each from Zanottis. They are easy to install.

Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
JonHanna
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man Jamie that sucks... I would have freaked out if they would have tried charging for a recall. Some dealers just think most people out there are just gullable(sp?)! And like they don't have enough money.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Original Junior
Road Master

Well today was beautiful so I went riding (I'm working on 3 hours sleep & ripped fuel, still have 8 hrs of work left). I stopped by the dealer and talked to them about the injector TSB. He said they have not done any yet but recommended I get it done. I'm taking it in Saturday to get the 1000 mile service completed. They said to remind them to check it out and they'll submit the warranty work. So far this dealer has been outstanding, I just hope it continues. Anyway, the techs were convincing in the going forward on the injector swap. I'm still a little hesitant but the warmer it gets outside the hotter I notice the bike is running. I got caught at a freight RR crossing so I shut her down while I waited the 5-10 minutes. When I went to start her back up it took a couple tries! Hopefully they will see what I see and order up new injectors for a swap. Then, hopefully, the new injectors solve the issues. Still not a major issue but we'll see after my roundtrip to Daytona and back next week.

Old 03-01-2006, 07:55 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser

My bike starts first try and is running great with the old injectors. Should I request the 25 degree injectors because the 8 degree injectors will eventually cause motor problems? Also, are the 25 degree injectors now inadequate for the SE 103" motors and are there new injectors coming out for them?[sm=confused06.gif]

06 FXDBI

Old 03-01-2006, 08:46 PM
fshhnt1
Intermediate

maybe there should be a class action suit (safety)

Old 03-01-2006, 09:37 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jamie, I'm going to be following in your footprints on the SERT when I get the cash. Please keep us posted on your progress.

On the V-twin forum, there's a few posts that switches the sert interface to the air/fuel ratio screen and change all of the grids from 14.7 to 13.9. Wonder if it is simple as this??? Do tell when you get a moment.

My dealer did not bite on the injector thing last Saturday while it was in for service. The head wrench took it out for 20 minutes and reported that the bike was running very well. I did mention the low speed surge but that didn't seem to matter. Oh well, might have to but em myself.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 PM
rastas
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bob is in 4 fwd cntls today.rang them last week about injectors,they had only just recieved sb M-1185 and were unsure .but today i asked if he was going to change injectors 4 me and he said no worries got 6 sets on order call u in 3-4 weeks on back order.also getting them to fix clunk in front end when front brake is applied.and the stand was not hitting rubber stopper on frame and damaged paintwork ,they also said they would fix.

Old 03-01-2006, 11:25 PM
JamieWG
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fl_799

Jamie, I'm going to be following in your footprints on the SERT when I get the cash. Please keep us posted on your progress.

On the V-twin forum, there's a few posts that switches the sert interface to the air/fuel ratio screen and change all of the grids from 14.7 to 13.9. Wonder if it is simple as this??? Do tell when you get a moment.

My dealer did not bite on the injector thing last Saturday while it was in for service. The head wrench took it out for 20 minutes and reported that the bike was running very well. I did mention the low speed surge but that didn't seem to matter. Oh well, might have to but em myself.
On the '06 Dynas the procedure is a little different. Instead of just fattening up the AFR tables, you need to change the millivolts settings for the O2 sensors. The ECM reads the sensors, then it fattens up the mix on it's own. If you just dump the AFR tables to 13.9, the bike no longer operates in closed loop mode. Soon as I get time and good weather, I'll create a map then let you know how it went.

Quick Reply: fuel injector changes on 06s