Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

theft protection, how to secure effectively????

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008 | 06:46 AM
danielt
|
6th Gear
Default theft protection, how to secure effectively????

Hi,

I have ordered a 2009 FXDL to be delivered in Perth, Western Australia in September.
It is no news that bikes are being stolen everywhere. The Low Rider comes with a security system. I am not sure how good it is.....I intend to buy an "Abus" chain with an integrated alarm in addition to the factory alarm.

Does anybody have any advice as to how one should secure a bike in a way that is most effective.....?? any products I should look into???
Also, which part of the bike should I chain to a permanent object????

hope that question is not too ridiculous.......

Daniel

Old 05-10-2008 | 06:56 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser
Default RE: theft protection, how to secure effectively????

ORIGINAL: danielt

Hi,

I have ordered a 2009 FXDL to be delivered in Perth, Western Australia in September.
It is no news that bikes are being stolen everywhere. The Low Rider comes with a security system. I am not sure how good it is.....I intend to buy an "Abus" chain with an integrated alarm in addition to the factory alarm.

Does anybody have any advice as to how one should secure a bike in a way that is most effective.....?? any products I should look into???
Also, which part of the bike should I chain to a permanent object????

hope that question is not too ridiculous.......

Daniel
As far I am concerned, you can't. If someone want's it bad enough, they'll find a way.
Just gotta make it so inconvenient for them, they find a "softer target" with less
chances of getting caught ( or shot ), instead of yours.
Kinda sucks, but that's the way it is.

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:28 AM
Splatter
Road Master

Yeah, yeah, bike theives can always get it if they want it, but you have a right to have your bike stolen by a competent professional -- security measures weed out the idiots.

First -- what do you chain up? Everything is the best choice, but can get a little impractical. Generally make sure the chain goes through the frame of the bike. If it goes through a removable part (like a wheel) someone can just remove the part and take the rest.

Consider the kinds of attack that are used on a motorcycle: First line of defence is against the "roll away" attack -- where they just roll the bike off. You counter that with your fork lock. With the fork locked, the bike will only roll in circles.

Next is the "hotwire" starting the bike up and riding it off (won't work so well if your forks are locked ) Your factory security system will handle that -- bike won't start without the RFID present.

Next is the "carry off" where a group lift your bike and throw it in a van or truck. That's where your chain pays off. If you're locked to a fixed object, then you can't be carried. The fixed object is best if it's truly fixed and the chain can't be lifted off (e.g. if you lock to a parking meter, a carry-off crew only has to lift an extra foot or so to get the chain off.)

Naturally, you want to combine all the techniques -- they overlap to make it harder for the idiots to steal your bike. But there's going to be a limit -- there are only so many things you're going to be willing to do every freakin' time you walk away from the bike. So then you deploy the best defence -- good insurance. And try not to get your personality so wrapped around a material posession that it controls you.

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:30 AM
WildBillAce2
Road Master

+1

I use the fork lock, a heavy cable lock, and a disk rotor lock for the rear wheel.

Old 05-10-2008 | 08:36 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member

I have alarm with siren,harley secure safe sticker system (a set of ifrared visible tattos) and a disc brake lock which is best put on a rear disc, complicates matters it for any theif. If your going to lock a wheel lock the back one since then the theif has your drive strap and stuff to deal with.I've heard high-tek theifs can freeze a lock or chain with co2 and just shatter the tempered steel.

Old 05-10-2008 | 09:56 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member

insurance to cover cost of replacement....

Old 05-10-2008 | 10:25 AM
dyna rider
Club Member
Veteran: Army

J&P cycles offes a disc lock that has 120db siren built in. I've heard it is super sensative. That in conjuction with a chain and factory security system should do the job.

[IMG]local://upfiles/49448/025B54B2227547C4AD0B7B2BBB098493.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-11-2008 | 08:35 AM
FatHogRider
Cruiser

+1!

ORIGINAL: rounder

insurance to cover cost of replacement....

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:59 AM
SFD_207
Cruiser

1. Always park under video survailence when possible.
2. Factory Alarm & Siren with the pager. Maybe add a proximity alarm. Is Lo-Jack available for bikes??
3. Fork Lock.
4. Chain to Fixed Anchor points.
5.Make it look likethe most undesirable bike on the planet. Awful Paint and Keep it filthy.
6. Chain a Vicious Rottie to it. (you may want a sidecar to tote him around)
7. GetGOOD Insurance.

Outside of that... I dont know what else could be done...

Had to throw a little humor in there....
ILock the forks &have the factory alarm, Smart Siren II, and the Smart Pager II. For long trips to unfamilar areas, I'll bring the chain and lock.