Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys keep your cool????

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts
Default How do you guys keep your cool????

I am not a violent guy, in fact I am a pretty mellow easy going guy.

Everytime some idiot pulls out in front of me, my blood freaking boils. I find myself shouting at them, reving my pipes, and intimidating the hell out of them while making them feel like an idiot!!!
Is it the leather?? The 45 Glock in my vest?? or maybe its the bandana squeezing my brain.
Or all of the above combined with the power between my legs just kicks the testosterone up a few notches.

Today was a bad riding day for me. Before work, during lunch, and after work, I was cut off, and pulled out in front of twice.
The last one, the stupid old lady didnt even look at oncoming traffic. She never even turned her head my way. She just pulled out on a main road only a fewyards in front of me. I had to lock em up.

So tonight, I go for a nice mellow ride. Its a beautiful night, with no traffic. I amabout 3 or 4 blocks from home in the neighborhood on a narrow two way side street. A car about a block ahead is coming toward me. As it gets closer the driver decides to turn on the high beams right into my face. I am completely blinded so I calmly respond my flashing my high beam back.
They dont turn them off!!!! Instead, they veer into my path as to intimidate me!!! I am still completely blinded. I could not even see the curb and had to slow to almost a complete stop. After they pass only a few inches from me..........I lost it.

I swung the bike around and gave chase with my high beams in their rear mirror. They get on the main road and begin to speed up. I stayed right on their *** at almost 100 mph. When they realized they couldnt out run me, they pull off into a well lit public shopping center. I pull up right next to them and look in the driver window...........

Its a teenage girl[:@][:@][:@]

I just yelled at her, DONT EVERFU#$KING BLIND A MOTORCYCLE RIDERAGAIN!!!!!.........ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL SOMEBODY????
She burst into tears while apologizing as I rode away.

I actually felt bad that I scared her when I got home, but ########! These people dont realize how vulnerable we are on two wheels. I would like to make it home to my son every night. I just get so pissed off when these things happen.
I am also pretty happy that 5 guys with guns didnt jump out of the car. I know my reaction was stupid and careless so please save the lectures. Hopefully this young chick will never do that again.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
yorgo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you guys keep your cool????

Wow. You gotta keep your cool. Realize that most people don't actually see you or may be just entertained and not paying attention. Yes, those times it happens you wish you had a freakin handlebar mounted RPG but its better to just let it go, slow down, move out of the way or whatever defensive manuever the situation calls for. I used to get pissed when boneheads would cut me off but over time and many miles later I realized I was just putting myself in more danger by acting like an angry nut.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get used to it. The last bike I had it seemed to me that every single time I went for a ride, someone would turn left in front of me. During the day I always ride with my highbeams on, and do so at night unless there is oncoming traffic. I ride very cautiously due to past experiences.

I wouldn't feel bad about reaming that teenage girl a new ***. She's a young, inexperienced teenager who was probably talking on her damn cell phone when she nearly ran you off the road. I don't know that I would have given chase like that. Had something happened to her at those speeds, you most likely would have been held liable, but I do know how you feel. I also try to make eye contact with drivers whenever possible. For example, at a stop light or four way intersection I always hesitate before pulling into the intersection. I try to make sure the other drivers see me and know my intentions.

Be careful.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:34 PM
keirmc
Intermediate

I ride the 405 in from Long Beach to the Westside of LA 4 days a week. Most days some driver does something crazy. Many times I get passed in the car pool lane by another biker zooming by. Once recently a ninja passed my on the left in the car pool lane! I find I can't really afford to get angry and lose my focus on my own driving. That's all that stands between me and the pavement.

I sympathize with you but I've learned that car drivers, for whatever reason, do dumb stuff. My job is to take care of myself. In the end I know I will lose any confrontation with a car. On a bike being right doesn't count for Sh*t!. Staying alive is what matters.

To me riding a bike is like playing sports. You have to maintain your composure so you can react quickly. My .02.

Ride safe.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:41 PM
tomato
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Teenage girls are the friggin' worst. I believe they think that guys won't mess with them, so they don't consider consequences. I'd estimate that 80% of my close calls (on bikes and in cages) have been with them...

Old 05-09-2008, 11:45 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

i was tooling along down the road one day and I guy runs a stop sign so he can pull out in front of me. I have to hit the breaks pretty hard to avoid him. So theres a red light about a hundred yards down the road so i pull up next to him. His window is down so i look at him and say "you know you ran that stop sign, pulled out in front of me and cut me off". He says, "It's cool man I ride". I say, "so that makes it ok to run a stop sign, pull out in front of me and cut me off?". He says, "F*** You" the light turns green and he takes off.

Mind numbing! Makes you want to hurt people sometimes.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior

Heres what a sober chick did today at the bar! Yeo drove ovr the curb and right on in with her car! Stupid! Thought it was the brake she said! Now its an open bar!

Old 05-10-2008, 01:42 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i understand you completely. i'm the most level headed, happiest person i know. i've come to beleive that when some one tries to kill me on my bike it is a premeditated attempt to take my life, so i treat it accordingly. whoever says that violence doesn't solve anything has never raised a hand in anger.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:26 AM
skiahh
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: TIDE

I am not a violent guy, in fact I am a pretty mellow easy going guy.

Everytime some idiot pulls out in front of me, my blood freaking boils. I find myself shouting at them, reving my pipes, and intimidating the hell out of them while making them feel like an idiot!!!
Is it the leather?? The 45 Glock in my vest?? or maybe its the bandana squeezing my brain.
Or all of the above combined with the power between my legs just kicks the testosterone up a few notches.
hmmm.... well, that crap doesn't work with me. Pipes, shouting, tailgating etc. Just makes me think someone's more stupid than the mistake I may have UNintentionally made, compared to your intentional "mistakes". And as for making them feel like an idiot, that's only in your mind.

Someone pulls that crap with me and they may wind up a lot closer to my 7000# of steel and iron than they want.. your testosterone, leather and "power" between your legs is absolutely no match for 2, 3, 4 or more thousand pounds of car. Some day you'll meet your counterpart in the road rage category and he'll win. Unless you shoot him first.

And yeah, you should feel proud of yourself... manly, even, for berating a teenage girl. She learned nothing from your actions except that there's people more irresponsible out there than her.

Old 05-10-2008, 02:56 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Know what you mean - I have lost it on a couple of occaisions with other inconsiderate car users over the years. I have always pulled back before any physical violence though as I don't believe that actually solves anything except maybe makes you feel better. In my opinion most people know when they have been stupid and its embaressment that makes them behave afterwards in the way they do. Some times though you just can't help that initial knee jerk reaction.

Quick Reply: How do you guys keep your cool????