Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which overnight bag & sissy bar rack combo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which overnight bag & sissy bar rack combo?

Any of you out there have an H-D overnight nylon bag (kind that attaches to sissybar)? Did you go with the 22" or the 17"? Is the 22" worth $100 more in price difference?

Which sissy bar luggage rack did you guys go with? Part # & price? Pros/cons? Thanks.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which overnight bag & sissy bar rack combo?

I don't use a rack, since I ride solo. I didn't go with HD for a bag. There's plenty out there for far less price. I got a cheap one off eBay for about $50. It's huge. I just packed for MBBW this weekend, and it's only half full.

Old 05-08-2008, 04:40 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may be hard to convince since it seems that you only let stuff, besides your butt, touch your bike if it's HD brand (that's not a flame by the way - if you can afford it, go for it). Anyway, I've got the detachable sideplates with the medium low medialion style sissy bar and pad and have the luggage rack attached to it (is there more than 1 HD brand?). Anyway, like Blade, I picked up a non-HD bag a couple of weeks ago. It's 100% leather and is sort of a backpack style bag that attaches to the sissy bar. It came with a matching leather roll bag with the stuff to strap it to the top of the big bag. Holds a ton of stuff, has nicezippered pockets on each side,and is real decent quality.It also came with a nylon rain cover than can double as a dirty laundry bag.It's made by Caroll Leather and was $99 at a vendor booth at the OBX rally. I can face it out and let it rest on the luggage rack if riding 2-up or turn it around and actually use it as a backrest on a long ride if I'm by myself. Besides that, I have a leather roll bag that I could fit stuff in for an overnighter if needed. IMO, HD's and Kuryakyn's "luggage" is WAY overpriced.

Now, I'm sick though. I just looked it up online and you can get the same set for $69 from the website below:

http://www.motorcycle-luggage.com/Me...CarrollLeather

Pic doesn't do it justice by the way. Even the one on the cover of the box didn't. Looks far better in person.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/88C887848704429B89547AB2752E4FA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-08-2008, 05:03 PM
BLade1127
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

You may be hard to convince since it seems that you only let stuff, besides your butt, touch your bike if it's HD brand (that's not a flame by the way - if you can afford it, go for it). Anyway, I've got the detachable sideplates with the medium low medialion style sissy bar and pad and have the luggage rack attached to it (is there more than 1 HD brand?). Anyway, like Blade, I picked up a non-HD bag a couple of weeks ago. It's 100% leather and is sort of a backpack style bag that attaches to the sissy bar. It came with a matching leather roll bag with the stuff to strap it to the top of the big bag. Holds a ton of stuff, has nicezippered pockets on each side,and is real decent quality.It also came with a nylon rain cover than can double as a dirty laundry bag.It's made by Caroll Leather and was $99 at a vendor booth at the OBX rally. I can face it out and let it rest on the luggage rack if riding 2-up or turn it around and actually use it as a backrest on a long ride if I'm by myself. Besides that, I have a leather roll bag that I could fit stuff in for an overnighter if needed. IMO, HD's and Kuryakyn's "luggage" is WAY overpriced.

Now, I'm sick though. I just looked it up online and you can get the same set for $69 from the website below:

http://www.motorcycle-luggage.com/Me...CarrollLeather

Pic doesn't do it justice by the way. Even the one on the cover of the box didn't. Looks far better in person.

[IMG]local://upfiles/41150/88C887848704429B89547AB2752E4FA7.jpg[/IMG]
Let me make you even sicker!! [:'(] That's the same one I got from here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB1-M...8758QQtcZphoto

Old 05-08-2008, 05:32 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: BLade1127

Let me make you even sicker!! [:'(] That's the same one I got from here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SB1-M...8758QQtcZphoto
Well, it was worth every bit of $100 and then some to me. So, at $45 or $69 it's an even better deal. And, if it wears out quicker that expected, it didn't cost much. I doubt I'll use it more than twice a year anyway. Gotta figure it isn't the best price possible at a rally vendor. But the wife liked it and agreed we could both get our stuff in it for a weekend trip. And, she was hell bent on buying something before we left that place. Imagine that. That reminds me, I need to install that Gremlin Bell she bought me at the vendor across the way...

Old 05-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

You may be hard to convince since it seems that you only let stuff, besides your butt, touch your bike if it's HD brand...
When it comes to a luggage bag that I'm lucky if I use it more than twice out of the year I could care less if it said "Harley" on it or not!Just looking for the best "bang for the buck"? I'm not using it to go cross-country so I don't need anything ENORMOUS, just something that I can fit a couple days worth of clothes in along with maybe ajacket or two?

Blade1127,
Thanks man...already watching that auction...

Old 05-08-2008, 05:42 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: FXDC Rider

You may be hard to convince since it seems that you only let stuff, besides your butt, touch your bike if it's HD brand...
When it comes to a luggage bag that I'm lucky if I use it more than twice out of the year I could care less if it said "Harley" on it or not!Just looking for the best "bang for the buck"? I'm not using it to go cross-country so I don't need anything ENORMOUS, just something that I can fit a couple days worth of clothes in along with maybe ajacket or two?

Blade1127,
Thanks man...already watching that auction...
Ian, no offense on the HD stuff. Just razzing you a little but I really don't know of a thing, except for your f'ugly wing replacements that you have, oh and your pipes, that aren't HD. And I'm not saying there is a thing wrong with that. [8D]

This bag isn't huge - perfect for carrying 2 days worth of stuff comfortably. I forgot to mention that it's expandable outward with a zipper to maybe stretch that to 3 days. Maybe even 4 with the roll bag attached.

Old 05-08-2008, 05:47 PM
oldsporty1
Advanced

Bought a setup from Carrol Leather, about 5 years ago. cost about 100 bucks it still looks good and works real well. I have the tall sissy bar that is detachable and the sport luggage rack, most of the time I use the roll bag that came with it. The overnight bag is big enough to pack everything that my wife needs to take so it is plenty big enough.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Cloud09King
Road Warrior

Ian, no offense on the HD stuff. Just razzing you a little but I really don't know of a thing, except for your f'ugly wing replacements that you have, oh and your pipes, that aren't HD.
...None taken!
I've learned the hard way time & time again that 9.999/10 times you get what you pay for. I'm not "loaded" with money by no means, but will I pay $50 more for something that looks better, is better quality & possibly last longer in the end...absolutely! And the "bar & shield" imprinted on it is just an added bonus. I'm not ashamed to say that yes, I do like H-D stuff alot better than most other brands...but that's just me & we're all different. Some people don't care about "looks" that much, just "if it's cheaper than it's for me". I'm just not that way at all.Now, if I can find the same quality & nice looking product for a cheaper price, then to me "THAT'S A DEAL!"...not sacrificing quality for a few bucks difference in price. Like someone once said, "if it looks like chicken, smells like chicken & tastes like chicken then it MUST be chicken!