Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Street Performance Mufflers - Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:25 PM
badbs101
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Street Performance Mufflers - Mini Review

I put on my SE Street Performance Slash Out Mufflers yesterday. It took me about 1.5 hrs total and was pretty easy overall. I'm a good but slow mechanic btw so the job can probably de done much quicker. The hardest part was removing the old slip-ons (wiggle/pull, wiggle/pull) which took a seemingly long time and then lining up the new ones because when I torqued on the clamp bolt the muffler had a tendancy to twist.

When I first started up the bike, I was pretty unimpressed with the sound. I wanted mufflers that were a little louder than stock and these were a little louder. I am happy to say that after a few rides they have begun to burn in and are louder and deeper than stock but not very much.You can even smell the packing material burning when you're sitting at a light.I expect them to burn in even more in the future. Loud enough for me although I do wish they were even a tad louder but no worries because I leave for work at 7:00 am and don't care to annoy the neighbors. My wife videotaped me riding away before and after the SE slip-ons were installed and they definitely have more of a louder rap to them when accelerating. Nicer sounding overall and deeper but only marginally.

The good news is that my butt dyno tells me I have picked up a few ft/lbs of torque in the lower-mid range just like the HD graph points out. It's subtle but noticeable.

Tentative thumbs up on these to anyone who wants a nicer sound without upsetting the neighbors. The improvements these mufflers make to sound and power aresubtle but definitely there.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:50 AM
badbs101
Road Master
Default RE: SE Street Performance Mufflers - Mini Review

I hope my review didn't come off too negative because I really do like the mufflers overall. They are louder and deeper than stock, especially under load. I just wish they were a smidgen louder.

Anone else happy with their newer SE mufflers?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Two Feathers
Tourer

Thanks I've been thinking about those also.
I dont want loud either, so I think I will look at these more carefully now.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM
DynaDan
Tourer

Nice review. We might all be riding around with those if all this EPA, and local noise ordinance BS continues[:@]

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
BluBob
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am running a set of these and after about 2500 miles I think they are louder than when I first mounted them. I live in a "quiet" neighborhood and would not want to subject my neighbors to anything louder. They are a good choice for someone who wants more performance, better look, and a little more sound. My gripe with them is really directed at HD for marketing them under the deliberate confusion with SEIIs. I think a lot of guys buy these pipes thinking they are going to set off car alarms with them. Good news for potential buyers is that you can find these on Ebay cheap. Don't pay more than $200 for a pristine set. I was one of the suckers who bought mine from the dealership when I picked up my bike after having forwards installed.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:08 PM
badbs101
Road Master

Iexpect mine to be louder after they're fully burned in too. I've already noticed an increase in sound after a few short rides. I think some folks pull them off after initially starting the bike;post a bad review; and sell them on ebaythinking they won't get any louder. I must admit the initial start-up sound was pretty lackluster. Some burn in should remedy that a bit. Under load is where they are louder and deeper.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser

i've had mine for about 2000 miles and they definately have gotten more of a rumble, but still niceon the hiway. i did pick up a bit of a pop on decel. i'm not too worried about that. i have a k&n OE muffler. i think it breathes a bit better than the stock. i just recently had the 150 dollar stage 1 download. some say it isnt needed for this setup but i think it helped richen it up a bit. i really do like the SE mufflers.on my old harley i had a set up pythons and i really grew tired of the crack and noise, and it really would popon decel. these are just what i'm looking for. as a matter of fact i hope they dont get much louder than they are now.

scott

Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
IRideMyOwn
Novice

Even after 200 miles on mine, I notice that they are louder and deeper. they did set off a car alarm ...which I wasn't expecting. I read a lot about these before I bought my bike, so I had the dealership put them on before I even rode the bike. I hope they do get deeper sounding as time goes on.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: badbs101

I hope my review didn't come off too negative because I really do like the mufflers overall.

Not at all. Just confirmed what I had already heard about them. I understand they are right for some - but they aren't for me. No offense.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to hijack but can anyone compare these to the D&D fatcats with the quiet baffles?

Quick Reply: SE Street Performance Mufflers - Mini Review