Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 05:08 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Default RE: riding in rain

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52
Don't do the rain thing here in the UK [...] Just call me wuss
I'd never call someone a wuss for making his own decision to ride or not ride. The only wuss is the guy who lets someone else make the call.

Old 05-08-2008 | 05:43 PM
grumpa
Tourer

Splatter, you so right , so right.
As far as me saying about the $20K Bike, I was hitting the high price baggers rider that shouldn't be on this forum. But your saying in the UK your paying 20K for Dyna's? I was on one forum on the VTwin Forum were one guy Bought his bike here then had it shipped over, the hold up was at Portsmouth , The bike was in a container that was in the bottom of the ship??? Now could he have been able to get it for a lot less?

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:53 PM
jnslim007
Cruiser

I say if you buy a bike to ride it then freakin ride it. Who cares of the weather. I knew I was gonna catch some rain on the way home from work this morning but I still rode. Now if its a massive storm yea its a cage but just rain..... RIDE!!!!!

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:12 PM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member

I kinda fit in to the wuss category.

For years my only transportation was a bike, and I rode to or from work in a lot of heavy downpours - Arizona monsoons. I kept a towel, a spare set of clothes and shoes at work for when I really got soaked.

I put about 2K miles a month on my bike now, and while I like to keep the bike cleaned up I'm not thrilled about doing it on a daily basis.

Luckily in Arizona, rain doesn't happen very often. When it rains heavy enough to get standing water in the road I take the cage.

That being said, I've had to charge the cage battery twice in the 4 months since I got my bike - and haven't had to refill the tank yet.

Old 05-09-2008 | 02:06 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

ORIGINAL: grumpa

Splatter, you so right , so right.
As far as me saying about the $20K Bike, I was hitting the high price baggers rider that shouldn't be on this forum. But your saying in the UK your paying 20K for Dyna's? I was on one forum on the VTwin Forum were one guy Bought his bike here then had it shipped over, the hold up was at Portsmouth , The bike was in a container that was in the bottom of the ship??? Now could he have been able to get it for a lot less?
Like your thought process Splatter

$20K for a low end Dyna like a Street Bob - if its a Road King or Glide could easily be £30K plus.

As far as the Dude on the VTwin forum goes - he might well save a couple of K on the exchange rate but not on import duty and other taxes. But hey -at our prices even a couple of K is good.

If he can keep it out of the country for a set period (not sure what it is) he can avoid the import duty and other taxes. So a UK service man based in Germany could import a bike and save quite a bit if he kept it in Germany - I think its for 2 years but don't quote me on that.

Old 05-09-2008 | 03:34 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

by the time you have apoid imort duty and vat and jumped throughtthe hoopes to get it legal for ht eUK probably looking at stil saving 20% on lsit. WHre you reall save is on accessories. Basiclay harley charge the same in pounds here as the price is in dollar in the states so a $18 set of swicth covers is £18 here which menas we pay the equivalent of $36

Bene looking on nightriders site and he will sell and ship Me a vr2 for 2/3rd the cost of just buying a vr2 here in the UK and would cost the shame in postage inside the UK as he wants to ship it over !!!!!!

Old 05-09-2008 | 05:00 AM
MOSTWANTED
Road Captain

I hate the idea of my bike sittiing out their in the parking lot in the rain all lonely while I am in here working.

Old 05-09-2008 | 08:04 AM
Afishinado
Road Master

Being a relative newbie, I've not been caught in more than a Florida sprinkle yet. I'm certain that at some point I will get caught in some real rain, when that happens, you can bet I am heading for cover. I will choose one of the other modes of transportation I have that eat much more fuel.