Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:39 AM
grumpa
Tourer
Default RE: riding in rain

$20K motorcycle???? who rides a $20k Bike ?????? Damn must be nice to be in the UK, Hay a friend of mine is selling his house north of Donigel, Ireland. 4 bedrooms.Plus over looking a bay.(?)

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:50 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Either gas isn't high enough yet or I don't need to be anywhere bad enough to take any "planned" rides in the rain. I rode all the way to Myrtle Beach last year in the fall. 6 hour ride and rained all the way. It was miserable, bike looked like it had been dredged up out of a swamp somewhere and my 2 buddies that were riding with me, behind me, tried to brake at a yellow light and skidded all the way through the intersection. We all had on rain gear but there are parts of you that will always get wet if it's raining bad enough or you ride long enough. Looking back, we all agreeit was a foolish and dangerous thing to do, especially since we had access to a trailer and the women followed us all the way in a Suburban that could have been pulling that trailer. One of my buddies WAS just so hard core he wouldn't let himself show up at a bike rally with a trailer. He's softened that view now.

Riding to work and back should be fine if you can stand it. But you'll find yourself constantly cleaning your bike unless you just absolutely don't care. Sorry, call me a wuss too, but if I can't enjoy the ride, I'll take the cage.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:55 AM
Starboard
Road Master

I got caught in a thundwerstorm during a country ride two days ago. I was in a t-shirt and jeans and I was dry by the time I got home. Washed the grime off with clean water and will touch it up this weekend. A great ride!

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:57 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Either gas isn't high enough yet or I don't need to be anywhere bad enough to take any "planned" rides in the rain. I rode all the way to Myrtle Beach last year in the fall. 6 hour ride and rained all the way. It was miserable, bike looked like it had been dredged up out of a swamp somewhere and my 2 buddies that were riding with me, behind me, tried to brake at a yellow light and skidded all the way through the intersection. We all had on rain gear but there are parts of you that will always get wet if it's raining bad enough or you ride long enough. Looking back, we all agreeit was a foolish and dangerous thing to do, especially since we had access to a trailer and the women followed us all the way in a Suburban that could have been pulling that trailer. One of my buddies WAS just so hard core he wouldn't let himself show up at a bike rally with a trailer. He's softened that view now.

Riding to work and back should be fine if you can stand it. But you'll find yourself constantly cleaning your bike unless you just absolutely don't care. Sorry, call me a wuss too, but if I can't enjoy the ride, I'll take the cage.
Way to go 2007fxdc [sm=smiley16.gif]

Old 05-08-2008 | 02:19 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member

ORIGINAL: SpeedMK

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52

Don't do the rain thing here in the UK- strictly a fair weather biker, too much chrome to clean. Also when you get to my age and you go to the garage on a nasty day you go car / bike - nope car! The other really good reason is that in the winter if even threatens to be midly icy the local councils grit the roads which contains salt which is death to a Harley - its garaged in the Winter and turnedloose on fine Spring, Summer and Autumn days. Just call me wuss
I with you on this. Why ride a $20k+ bike in the rain when you don't have to?
I don't.. I ride the $8000 bike in the rain....

Old 05-08-2008 | 02:38 PM
MMH
Tourer

ORIGINAL: grumpa

I wear out back clothes, Got into it when I seen a cowboy in Wyoming ride up to a bike show in Casper WY in a snow storm.He was on a Chopper, wearing a Freckn cowboy hat with ear muffs.Then in my horse days I found they are the best wind and weather breaker , So I wear down under OUTBACK , We have a Outlet storein OXFORD PA, $150 jacket for $75 I wear the PAC-a-roo parka oil skin #2407, just add extra layers if riding under 30 degrees. WWW.OUTBACKTRADING.COMIt has a hood and its folds into it self and makes a nice back pack. i paid $70, been wearing it for 5 years. Riding the bike or driving a team, when it get dirty hang it out and hit it with a garden hose.
This way you still look cool in the rain, I have been thinking on a pair of oil skin pants to have in the saddle bags. and I'm going to start riding with the model wearing #2401.
Sounds like good stuff!

Old 05-08-2008 | 03:16 PM
grumpa
Tourer

Looking at the model #2099 chap"s,, Is that a Camel 's toe I see there. Out back traders in the oil skins.

Old 05-08-2008 | 03:35 PM
tazman509
Road Captain

I used to never start off in the rain. Now I catch myself sometimes starting in light rain. Only so much time to ride. Not gonna let a little bit of rain stop me. You just have to slow it down a little and pay attention to detail.

Old 05-08-2008 | 03:38 PM
Gaffy52
Road Master

ORIGINAL: grumpa

$20K motorcycle???? who rides a $20k Bike ?????? Damn must be nice to be in the UK, Hay a friend of mine is selling his house north of Donigel, Ireland. 4 bedrooms.Plus over looking a bay.(?)
Pretty much everyone who buys a new bike in the UK rides $20K bike - do the maths -my bike cost me around £9.5K new and hasroughly £2.5K of extras now so that makes the bike worth approximately£12K. With an exchange rate of $1.98 to£1 that works out be $23,760. Go on any UK Harley dealer's web site and check out the cost a new bike here (or even second hand ones) and then do the maths and its real easy to ride a $20K bike without being rich or flashy. I saved long and hard for mine so I am going to look after it.

Old 05-08-2008 | 05:03 PM
Splatter
Road Master

ORIGINAL: toecat2000
Any thing I have to worry about maintenance wise with the bike?
thanks
Nothing you can't fix with a hose and a bucket of soapy water.

I actually think my bike runs better in the rain.

The only really important advice I can give is when you see a puddle keep in mind that you don't know how deep it is.

Quick Reply: riding in rain