Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

riding in rain

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008 | 07:53 AM
Cornbread
Advanced
Default RE: riding in rain

Last year, there was a bad rain storm that covered virtually all or WI., IL. and IN. Rain was so hard the cagers could'nt see and were slowing down to a crawl. Thatkept theleft lane wide open for me and I made great time all the way from Madison WI to Champaign, IL. The only problem I had was going through a construction zone. There was this real low dip in the road, which came out of nowhere and amounted to about a 12" deep creek cutting straight across in front of me. Scared me at first because I have crossed a flooded bridge before in a 1-ton and was almost swept away. Anyway, when caught off guard I try and to keep from making any panicky decisions so I just eased off the throttle and held on. The bike didn't even know or care about the water. It kept on going justas ifthe roadwas dry as a bone. I on the other hand discovered that rain gear is made for rain coming down not water coming up. I was soaked nearly to my waists.Between those stupid rain pants and my forward controlsI just scoopedup all the water that my front tire splashed up. Needless to say my fear quickly became anger. I don't mind getting wet if there is no way to get out of it but If I spend time and money trying to keep from it and then get wet anyway, well that is when I lose it.I would just as soon get wet to begin with and have it done with. Needless to say my rain gear gets used very seldom anymore. I just get wet and dry off when the sun comes out.

Other than that little story the only thing I can say is rain puddles in your eye sockets without a full face helmet or a good pair of goggles.

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:00 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52

Don't do the rain thing here in the UK- strictly a fair weather biker, too much chrome to clean. Also when you get to my age and you go to the garage on a nasty day you go car / bike - nope car! The other really good reason is that in the winter if even threatens to be midly icy the local councils grit the roads which contains salt which is death to a Harley - its garaged in the Winter and turnedloose on fine Spring, Summer and Autumn days. Just call me wuss
yep ya big southern jessy

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:09 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

If you do it year round in Ohio Road salt/Brine needs to get cleaned off daily or corrosion will be a problem

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:29 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Too freakin A I do - did camping once and it was hell. I sure do like my creature comforts

One more thought I ride for fun and if ain't fun I don't do it! Got nearly 4K on the clock in 18 months though.

Cheers
Wuss

Old 05-08-2008 | 08:49 AM
twofish
Road Master

I don’t do rain anymore if I can get out of it, (retired) been wet to many times.
However pushing $4.00 a gallon I see how I could put up with a little rain.
Rain suit time.

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:18 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

Little rain never hurt anyone...makes you a better rider actaully!

Old 05-08-2008 | 09:45 AM
wescoot2
Road Master

A cager came up to me at a gas station.....and asked the following question.....

Hey, what happens when it rains........I just smiled and said, I get wet.

Now I'm not gonna say on a rainy day, that I gaze out the window and think to myself, Gee, what a beautiful day for a ride. But if the weather report says there is a 50% chance of rain, I look at it like there is a 50% chance that it won't rain, and I take off, of course the rain suit is packed away just in case......LOL

A little more caution of course is necessary, not only because of the weather conditions for you on the scoot, but because I have found cagers to be even LESS observant.

Respects,
Ed

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:02 AM
Lopoetve
Road Master

Too freakin A I do - did camping once and it was hell. I sure do like my creature comforts

One more thought I ride for fun and if ain't fun I don't do it! Got nearly 4K on the clock in 18 months though.

Cheers
Wuss
4k in 18 months?

I put 1.5k in 3.5 weeks.

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:05 AM
SpeedMK
Cruiser

Don't do the rain thing here in the UK- strictly a fair weather biker, too much chrome to clean. Also when you get to my age and you go to the garage on a nasty day you go car / bike - nope car! The other really good reason is that in the winter if even threatens to be midly icy the local councils grit the roads which contains salt which is death to a Harley - its garaged in the Winter and turnedloose on fine Spring, Summer and Autumn days. Just call me wuss
I with you on this. Why ride a $20k+ bike in the rain when you don't have to?

Old 05-08-2008 | 10:10 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SpeedMK

I with you on this. Why ride a $20k+ bike in the rain when you don't have to?
Thanks Speed - I was beginning to wish I'd kept my big mouth shut on this one [:@]- can't all be big bad **** bikers who spit nails!

Quick Reply: riding in rain