Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laydown license plate advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:32 PM
ScottK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How in the world do you get the old license plate holder off (not to mention put the new one on)? Do you basically just have to wedge your arm up between the fender and the tire and turn the but down there?

Plus the fact that for some reason on the license plate holder currently on mine, I can only see the top screw head, the other two aren't even visible from the top.

Old 07-13-2009, 03:57 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best laydown license plate bracket is from Hogrida.
Go to http://www.hogrida.com

Richard

Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Prodriverdon
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be able to trim around the plate to take off at least 1/4". I put on the HD lay down because it look like a solid piece.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Prodriverdon
Road Master

Yes you have to jam your arm and wrench inside the fender. Then bend the crap out of the old one.....

Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just bought Hogrida's plate bracket through PayPal. That is exactly what I was looking for. The HD layback looks like garbage IMHO. After I bought it and put it on, I was looking for something else. That is why I love this forum. great people and awesome fabricators. Now if I can just remember where I put the original packaging for the HD one...gotta get my money back...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:51 PM
lemansguy
Advanced

i just made one, cost me a grand total of maybe 5 bucks? i removed the stock setup. had some extra metal laying around, so i cut it to the same size as my license plate, i went to Lowes and bought 3 very short bolts and nuts to fit in the stock location, as well as 3 small rubber washers to fit the bolts, and 3 large rubber washers. i also bought 4 even smaller bolts to bolt the license plate to the plate, and 4 capped nuts. i measured the distance between the holes in the fender, and figured out where i wanted the plate to sit. drilled 3 holes to match up the holes in the fender, i the 3 small washers on the bolts, put the bolts through the plate, then put the 3 larger washer on next, so that they will sit in between the metal plate and the fender. i then placed the metal plate on the fender with the 3 bolts sticking through the stock bolt locations, and bolted the metal plate down. i then bolted the license plate to the lay down plate. i didnt like the plate sitting flate with the curved fender, so i bent the plate down on the sides to hug the rear fender.

its too dark out right now, but ill try and take some pics of the setup tomorrow after work. eventually i went to advance auto parts and bought a license plate frame too, i thought it looked better than the bare plate.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:05 PM
lemansguy
Advanced

i added pics of the license plate to my photo album, havent figured out how to add them to the post.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:10 PM
surreyguy
Advanced

i got this one from a company on vancouver island ,but man for the life of me i cant remember the company name.not sure if they make them in different sizes,but British Columbia plates are bigger then most provinces or states i think.if i can find it i will post it ,if u like this style.oh ya it was a bitch to change since i lowered my bike first.had to get my little girl to hold the nuts on the inside of the fender.

Attached Thumbnails  Laydown license plate advice-img_0339.jpg  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:41 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I had one from Kuryakyn and one of the studs broke and would just spin when I tried to tighten it. Have you considered side mount?