Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Rocker Covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:05 AM
bailer01
|
Cruiser
Default Chrome Rocker Covers

Are these difficult to install?

I have a 2006 street bob

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:48 AM
steelcowboy
Road Master
Default RE: Chrome Rocker Covers

I dunno know about the installation but I bet they are a bitch to pollish.

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:50 AM
AmericanIron
Advanced

Piece of cake to do just the uppers...if you do the upper and lower piece...its a little more involved. Get a service manual if you do.

Old 05-04-2008 | 11:04 AM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: AmericanIron

Piece of cake to do just the uppers...if you do the upper and lower piece...its a little more involved. Get a service manual if you do.
Since the Twin Cam rocker covers are wedged shaped, you could do just the uppers, but it might look a little odd to have the wider wedge on the bottom cover showing against the chrome upper. I did had mine powdercoated over the winter and changed them out, not overly difficult, but leave yourself enough time to get it right. You will want to take off the gas tank to be able to get to the bolts on the rocker covers and while you're at it, depending on the mileage, you'll want to change the breather elements out since the upper rocker is off anyway.

Here's the link to installing the S&S Chrome Rockers, the HD or others are pretty much the same:
http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instr...ds/51-1052.pdf

Old 05-04-2008 | 12:48 PM
AmericanIron
Advanced

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

ORIGINAL: AmericanIron

Since the Twin Cam rocker covers are wedged shaped, you could do just the uppers, but it might look a little odd to have the wider wedge on the bottom cover showing against the chrome upper. I did had mine powdercoated over the winter and changed them out, not overly difficult, but leave yourself enough time to get it right. You will want to take off the gas tank to be able to get to the bolts on the rocker covers and while you're at it, depending on the mileage, you'll want to change the breather elements out since the upper rocker is off anyway.

Here's the link to installing the S&S Chrome Rockers, the HD or others are pretty much the same:
http://www.sscycle.com/modules/instr...ds/51-1052.pdf
I did mine in a day. yes you have to remove the tank. Do yourself a favor and run it dry or close to dry before you take it off...its a pain when it still has a lot of gas in it. I also replaced my breather elements...the bike only had about 3K miles on it but I was in there so I did it...it was pretty cheap. Take your time...follow the manual and you should be good to go.

Old 05-04-2008 | 10:20 PM
last saint
Road Master

It's a really simple job. It's not necessary to remove the tank if you've got the right tools. You can take the rear tank bolt out, raise the rear of the tank and prop it up. This saves a lot of time. After removing the top cover, you'll have to remove the rocker assembly. Start by loosening the breather bolts first, then the rocker bolts. With the rockers out of the way, then you remove the bottom half of the box. Removal is the easy part, installing is where you really want to take your time, because the lifters need to in the lowest position before reinstalling the rocker assembly. Have the bike on a jack, drop it into 5th so you can roll the rear tire to roll the motor over to lower the pushrods/lifters. As mentioned above...get a manual. It's the absolute greatest addition you can add for your scoot. It'll walk you through everything, step by step with all of the torque specs.

Old 05-04-2008 | 11:06 PM
trampsinger
Tourer

Dude, don't listen to anyones shortcuts, follow the service manual.
P.S. You'll wanna take the tank off. Keep in mind that you do hace to remove the rocker arm assembly and pushrods.
Good luck

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:18 AM
arkieollie
Tourer

It was a day job for me (did the upper and lower). Had the service manual and followed it to the tee. Had to buy a torque wrench and I went ahead and got the chrome allen bolt kit also since I knew I would have the whole thing taken apart. Good luck.