Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making myself crazy over slip ons

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 09:51 PM
vegasjoe
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making myself crazy over slip ons

i keep reading i dont have to do alot but add the slip ons, and stealer says another thing, want to save as much $$$ as i can. fuel paks and this other stuff as me pulln my hair out. need to know how to or whats best plan of action and need it explained to me like am 5 yrs old plz...lol losing my mind

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
labfreak
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: making myself crazy over slip ons

You can just add the slip-ons and go...I went nuts when I first added slip-ons, but you don't need fuel mgmt systems until you open up the A/C. More air in is when your AFR gets too lean so you want to richen it up then.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:07 PM
cwalms
Cruiser

If you only add slip on's you probably don't need to get any type of fuel management device to compensate for them. However, if you add slip on's and a high flow air cleaner then you need to add some type of fuel management device because even thogh the slip on's will allow you to flow more air without the air cleaner you won't be bringing in the air to flow. Here is a great explination from Terry on why EFI bikes need to be tuned. https://www.hdforums.com/m_181817/tm.htm
Hope this helps

Old 05-02-2008, 10:11 PM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Generally speaking;
1. the bikes come from the factory a little on the lean side.
2. adding just one thing, pipes or intake will not wreck your bike, but it will not make it run richer either.
It may sound better with the slip-ons, but it's still on the lean side, maybe even leaner than with stock set-up.
3. is it a bad thing to do, not really but it's not the best thing to do either, IMO.
Just my 2 cents......

Old 05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're dealer is lying to you, plain and simple.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:12 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 39,697 Likes on 13,447 Posts

If you have an 06 or later dyna slipons will not require any add ons or changes as long as you maintain some back pressure (no straight pipes).This is a common topic on this site so you should use the search function and you will find a lot of feedback.One thing,after you change the mufflers the bike needs to be ridden several miles so the ecm can readjust.I'm conservativeso I run the screaming eagles,but the RUSH mufflers with 1.75 or 2.0 baffles seem to be very popular and sound good.

Old 05-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Fang
Cruiser

I agree with HK....because of epa regulations, our bikes are running lean right out of the crate! Adding slip on mufflers may or may not add to this condition. If you ask a good tuner, he will say your bike will be running "ok" , but it is not running right!..AND it is not running like it could be. IMHO....

Old 05-03-2008, 12:48 AM
jnslim007
Cruiser

Barney style= you get slip-ons for low cost and good to go to ride.OR You save the money you WILL spend eventually and then get the full setup you want, full pipes,Intake and fuel pak.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:19 AM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the dealer richen the fuel for you if you have stock pipes? I heard it makes it run cooler.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:26 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having done some research into this topic - but bear in mind I am no techno mechanic wizard thingy - as far as I understand it so long as you have not made any other changes just adding slip ons will not affect anything other than the bike may well bang pop and crackle on the overrun (when you shut the throttle down). It seems to be the consensus of opinion amonst those in the know I have spoken to on this subject is that there is a */- 10% tolerence on the stock ECU / fuelerthat will compensate for the fact you have taken off the stock pipes and simply added another set of louder slip ons.

Doing a Stage 1 will allow the bike to breath better (with all the obvious added benefits) and then you need change some other stuff like the fuel pack to avoid it running hot on longer runs, which is going to be better all round. Also in very hot climates I understand adding an oil cooler is a good idea as well. I too get very confused over all of this and like you can't afford to do it all in one go all of the mods and changes instantly. Also I bought my bike for cash and could not have all of the extra stuff added in on the HP loan agreement which I know a lot of folks here do.

When I started with my '07 Bobber back in September 2006 all I could afford was SE II Slash Cut slip ons. That was fine for a while and then later I saved up and had a full Stage 1 done including the carburetor solenoid eliminator. I went for slightly most expensive Kitech Fueler than the V&H one which works a treat for me. Then this year after some more judicious saving I ditched the stock ehaust system completely and added some V&H Big Radius pipes as I love the look of them. That meant adding two new eliminators for the active exhaust controls on the stock system which my Stealer threw in.

The bad news is the weather is lovely here today in the part of England I live in so I am going to ride up to me Stealer for coffee and doughnuts and a natter and who knows what else I will come home with. I'm then planning to go on to the Ace Cafe for lunch so could be an expensive day out.

Quick Reply: making myself crazy over slip ons