Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:35 AM
larazauk
|
Tourer
Default Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Was out riding last weekend and came across a local HOG chapter on a ride out.

There they were going along at 50 (never seen so many fringes)waving to pedestrians with a guy at the back in a dayglo jacket and absolutely no overtaking (much shaking of heads as I overtook them at 70 on country roads )

Now each to his own I guess but to me it's not what biking's about, and I don't mind riding in groups, was a member of an mc for years, it just looked too structured, fake and no fun.

It set me wondering how many guys on HDF are active members of their local HOG group and why? maybe I'm wrong? maybe I should try it....... I might like it? [&:]

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:12 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

i have done a few rides with my chapter. but dont make it a habit.i like doing things my way and that is what i enjoy. i dont want some joker scewing up my day.some have to many rookie's and dont know what is going on and never did the group thing.there is alot more to it. than just getting in line .

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:51 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Here in the UK I, like Sporty, ride out occaisionally with my local Chapter. Actually they're a great bunch of guys and have ride outs for all different levels of experience andthey generallydon't hang around. Actually it usually ends up with one or two members getting lost or left behind - but that goes with the territory. Ienjoy the comradery and as well as theChapter meets / socialsonce a month at a local watering hole - when I get the time to go along.

However I also enjoy doing my own thing and have a neighbour who has a Harley - so we often ride out on a Sunday into the Chilterns (great scenery) to a local pub called the England's Rose for a full English breakfast. There is usually a great bunch of guys up there with a good assortment of different bikes, BMW's, Crutch Rockets of all makes, Harleys as well as some vintage bikes including group with some old Royal Enfields. All have one thing in common - the joy of biking. Also there is the Ace Cafe which has been around in one guise or another since the early fifties and has always been a great place for bikers to gather.

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:04 AM
tjmac49
Outstanding HDF Member

larazauk: Active in the Cajun Chapter; mostly middle-aged riders; we have well over 200 members who attend our monthly meetings on a regular basis; it is mostly about riding and having fun as a group; probably not attractive to everyone. I have made some very good friends - kind of like this Forums!

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:57 AM
Cornbread
Advanced

I have been a member since I bought the Bike. I don't ride with them much, because I tend to ride a little faster than group riders do and don't like all the safety rules that you have to follow just to ride in a large group (on long rides I can't relax and it's no fun). The riding part aside the group I just joined seem to really take care of each other. Their is another forum where some of the members keep up with one another every day. It is really kinda cool, like a little cyber neighborhood.

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:17 AM
bikerdog134
Road Master

im a member but dont ride with them much. i like to do my own thing. i do meet with a small group of vets once a month in the morning. we do a lunch run. usually about 100 miles.mostly i like to go solo

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:22 AM
jmpancoast
Outstanding HDF Member

I am a national member and joined my local chapter in December of 2007. Filled out the application and even paid the $15.00 annual membership fee.

I got an e-mail from one of the chapter officers in February 2008 advising me they had not gotten my 2008 application and fee. Upon inquiring, I was advised the app and money given them two months earlier only covered 2007.

Even though I am poor, the $15.00 for 27 days membership didn't change my financial situation. But it sure did **** me off. Needless to say, I have not had anymore dealings with my local chapter.

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:27 AM
petefwa
Road Captain

I've been for a couple of rides with my local chapter but it's way too structured and far too many safety rules for me.

Old 05-02-2008 | 06:58 AM
Starboard
Road Master

I got invited to one the local HOG meetings a couple of weeks ago. They seemed OK and I met a lot of great folks. I have not made any decision to join, but we have so many group rides and rallies around the area that you really don't need to belong to one group. I can pay the registration fee (same price as the club members pay) for the events I really want to attend and avoid the meeting rituals, rules and extra cost. I have no desire to become a Road Master or HOG group officer.

Old 05-02-2008 | 07:09 AM
pingman68
Road Master

I joined one back in November, only been on a couple of rides. I go if the ride sounds good and I can't get anyone else to go. They are very structured and I always feel as if I'm in some kind of synchronized swimming routine. Met some nice people.

Quick Reply: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?