Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:47 PM
0ut1aw
Tourer
Default RE: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Alone or with a small group of my friend. HOG is just not my kind of people, at least not in that setting.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:03 PM
lewistg
Cruiser

I am a HOG member. I like the idea that HOG brings and I have a HOG patch (Kuwait Chapter, got when deployed). But I rarely ride with them due to alot of the reasons mentioned. I usually have a different schedule than them, and they're mostly in the 50's. I mostly ride with my dad, but he's old school (been around harley's my whole life). When I do ride with them I generally get aggrevated with all the speed up- slow down, pointing at every piece of sand or dust on the highway. I choose to do my own thing. (just with the HOG patch)

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:10 PM
dizzy1450
Tourer

I joined my local chapter last week. Went for a poker run and really enjoyed the ride. I learned about some back roads that I didn't know about. I was lucky becuase our road captin was more interested in riding that socializing. I joined because I wanted to ride with a group of people. My friends are not bikers. So, my observation confirms what's been said already. HOG rides seem to be more about socializing than riding. And I don't like that. Main reason is that I'm 35 and the youngest person I saw on the ride was easily 10 years older than me. Honeslty I just don't have anything incommon with them. Right now, I'm not sure weather I'll attand another ride.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:10 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior

Depends what I'm in the mood for.

I belong to my local chapter... did 2 rides in 6 months.

I also ride witha Honda group. The formation thing bores me a little.

I also ride wth 5-6 friends sometimes.

I also ride with one other bike. I find this fun.

I prefer riding alone and do so about 50% of the time.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:37 PM
Elginator
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: arnold

Not just no, HELL no!
For all the above neg reasons and then some....
...I also dont have 5 lbs of meaningless crap hanging on my 'vest', err, jacket, er, vest, or whatever the hell that **** is.
P.P.S. I dont have 1200 bucks of designer leather 'I wear this now n then' ****.
To all H.O.G menbers this bitch does NOT refer to, dont take offense.
I do like H.O.G., just not the chapter crap.
I believe in "Live and Let Live" and I don't really get the implied distain some have for others who are different from them. If I have a patch on my vest that says I helpedsome disabled children, why does that bother anyone else?

And I don't understand the emotional tone of several of these posts.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:43 PM
domenicp7
Outstanding HDF Member

I am to young to join our local chapter. I am not 50 yet. I don't drink and every picture in their website revolves around drinking. Great message they are sending.

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:13 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

Don't know about any other chapters but all our rides are alcohol free until the ride ends at the destination. After that, everyone is an adult and can drink if they so choose. Most of our rides begin very early in the morning and go about 100 miles so alcohol really isn't an option at that time of day nor for that long of a ride.

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:31 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

Yeah but Karen, the bikes have to be ridden back home yet!

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:39 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

I just got my first Harley last week. I was given the info on HOG and how the first year is free, yada yada. It's all in the "dust bin" now. I bought a cycle, not a life style. I think my service manager friend told the "motorclothes associates" that, (my attitude)as they didn't really try selling me anything like I was told they are supposed to do. I have a pair of coupons for a free T shirt I didn't even use yet. Maybe next weekend, my wife and I will be in the same town the dealer is at for a wedding. When we were in Vegas this winter I did buy a HD Vegas T shirt. Haven't worn it yet. It's my only Harley shirt. Or only harley "anything" for that matter, besides, um, a Harley. NO you won't see a Harley decal on my truck either. Maybe I;ll get a license frame for my Harley that says "My Other Motorcycle Is Paid For".
My own opinion is HOG mainly exists to get people to hang out at the dealership more, to look at the dealership as some kind of personal club house to hang out and end up buying more shirts, chaps, boots, undies, whatever else they sell these days. HEY didn't they used to sell Harley cigarettes too?? Pretty sure they did (go to work trivia buffs!).
Gilly

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:42 PM
Gilly
Road Captain

That's the other thing. Even if I were going to do anything, you're still "just" a national member, for what that's worth (A magazine I guess), your local 81, errr, Hog Chapter still want's their dues. Plus I wouldn't know which to join, there are 2 dealers, errrr, chapters about 20 miles away, but I went to a GOOD dealer which is about 50 miles. Worth going to to buy a bike, but not for a "meeting".
Gilly again

Quick Reply: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?