Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 11:17 AM
bravens1
Cruiser
Default RE: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

I belong to 2 HOG chapters......they are what they are; a place to socialize and talk about anything including motorcycles, politics, or the weather. I get to meet others from completely different ethnic backgrounds, differnt types of employment and interest. The members that want to twist the grips just do that and others do what they want to do as well. Each of the 2 chapter has 500+ members (mix of some of the same folks), but I really only ride with about less than 10 of them from both chapters. They are who I "click with" and we like to twist those grips (probably a little faster) than some of the other members. In many ways, it's just like this forum! But by far the most appealing thing to me about the chapters that I belong to is we support the community, charities, military (esp the military!!!), and each other. I went down pretty hard 3+ yrs ago and many of those chapter members called me (daily), came by to check on me (daily), kept my spirits up, and was just there when you needed a friend. Again, they are what they are.....people who ride bikes. Now I need a hug....

Old 05-02-2008 | 12:46 PM
Ribcracker
Tourer

I think what doesnt help is unlike all other types of bike clubs, HOG as a factory backed owners club means anyone can join just buy paying their subs.So unlike 99% of other clubs where its the person thathas to be acpeted and havethings in common with the people already in the club, HOG is made up of people whose only thing is common is they own a harley, hence thecliques form as people then meet others who share the same inntrets as well as own a harley. As said I hope the UL is different to the chapters in the states but here it seems to be full of people who only want to be bikers on the weekend like putting ona fancy dress to go out in and take it off when they get home agian. Yeah maybe I am biased , don't help coming from amore comitted and hardcorebackground, but I just see them as fakes trying to be soehting their not and trying to buy what I had to earn.

Old 05-02-2008 | 01:00 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HarleypsychRN

When did all the political correctness creep it's way into the biker lifestyle? We're attracted to it for the freedom and rebellion and then seek to destroy the very thing that attracted us to it.
+1
imo, too structured, fake and no fun, where do I sign up? [:'(]

Old 05-02-2008 | 02:16 PM
arnold
Road Master

Not just no, HELL no!
For all the above neg reasons and then some.
Rode on a H.O.G. run w about 200, (seemed like thousands).
Bigest cluster truck ever, no brotherhood there, you break or fall to the side no one even noticed. Fortunatly my ride didnt break.
Front capn did fine, rear gaurd was just there, mass insanity anywhere in between.
And yes, there are lots o nice folks riding H.O.G., there are also lots o folks w absolutly no clue.
And on the hwy I dont run 50, or 60, or usualy 70, stager, space out just a tad, and MOVE on.
And I will ride side by side with someone who knows what they are doing and can hold a line, all that kinda puts me out of that "realm".
I also dont have 5 lbs of meaningless crap hanging on my 'vest', err, jacket, er, vest, or whatever the hell that **** is.
P.P.S. I dont have 1200 bucks of designer leather 'I wear this now n then' ****.
To all H.O.G menbers this bitch does NOT refer to, dont take offense.
I do like H.O.G., just not the chapter crap.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:02 PM
tjbintz
Cruiser

I really like the HOG group rides; I then know where not to ride - anywhere they are going. I'm not a member of HOG because of too many newbies on bikes. It's a shame that HD gives out a free one year membership to anyone that buys a bike. It makes the RUBS think they are badazz bikers belonging to a club. I've had to go to the local dealer on many weekends and all I see are the HOG members hanging out eating hot dogs and drinking sodas. Even if I spend an hour inside, by the time I leave they are still outside walking aimlessly about or huddled in their little clics. My best rides are with my GF, and one BRO and his wifey. We have the best of times and that's what it's all about.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:27 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior

Groups = [:@] A few (2 or 3) friends = Alone =
This is pretty much my feeling, too. I went to a HOG meeting once, and the folks were fine, it just wasn't for me. But then, neither are the big rallies. You won't catch me at Daytona or Sturgis, at least not during bike week. As I type this, folks around here are all headed to Panama City for the big weekend, but I'm just not into crowds, and I hate traffic. I have no problem with HOG groups...to each his own.

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:04 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

I dont subscribe to the heard mentality be it hog or a mc , I have no need to be validated that yes I truely do ride a motorcycle , one of my friends kept after me to ride with a local hog group so I said okI will try it and if I like it I will join . so on saturday morning I roll up to the dealer ship and the first thing I hear is you wont be able to stay with the group riding that sportster , if you need fuel we wont wait , ok thats fine with me so after everybody suiting up in there pirate suits we roll , go 30 miles and stop for a smoke break and potty break , go another 30 miles another smoke break and potty break , go 10 more miles and stop to eat head out maybe making it 20 miles and a stop for a potty break , smoke and cold drink damn it is just to hot at 75 degrees wearing all this dead cow stuff which at that time im thinking the gas in my tank is gonna go bad before I run out .the whole time we are actually riding there is some dumb **** who keeps cutting inside of me on the turns and I have to brake to keep from running over him . so I am fed up and take the opportunity to buy fuel and tell the road captain I am heading out and thanks for the intersting ride . I got away from those friggin idiots pointed the bike south and rode 200 miles to memphis bought a bbq rode around grace land and headed home . I suppose Imjust not cut out to be a social butterfly , I do ride in a few poker runs that benefit local charitys.

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:19 PM
Scooter Wench
Road Captain

I detest this bias against so called RUBB's just because they make a decent wage, are professionals, live in a nice home, and only get the chance to ride on weekends or on vacations. Excuse the hell out of them for working for a living, having a white collar job and being successful at their chosen career. I don't see how this makes them any less of a biker. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. My first husband was an officer in the Outlaws. Been there, done that and all that it entails. I'm still in contact with him to this day. When I met him I was riding a Honda 400, worked in a bar and barely had two nickles to rub together. I'm probably the only chick you'll ever meet who had the ***** (was stupid enough) to ride a Honda into a 1%er clubhouse yard. In retrospect I'm lucky my OM had the clout he did as otherwise they would have probably torched the thing while he and I were out having breakfast and getting a motel room. LOL

Move forward 25 years. I am a professional, I am successful, I live in a two story home with a pool and jacuzzi in the back yard, two nice cars in the driveway and two Harley's in the garage. I can now finally afford and have the time to do what I truly love. How does this make me any less a biker now than I was then? Only difference is that I now ride my own. In fact I may be more of a biker now than I was then. So don't judge the whole crate by a few bad apples. The majority of riders I know in our local chapter put thousands of miles on their bikes every year riding all over the country. Yeah there are newbies, but you know what? We were ALL newbies at one point in time. Ya gotta start somewhere!

(Rant over)

Old 05-02-2008 | 05:04 PM
jwb47
Road Warrior

I really dont think it has as much to do with a persons income as it does there attitude or intent.

Old 05-02-2008 | 07:25 PM
arnold
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jwb47

I really dont think it has as much to do with a persons income as it does there attitude or intent.
yeah, ditto.
its not the money or "other life" that matters. Lots of folks have 'paid their dues' and are successfull with a few bucks to spare.
Lots of my friends have moved up in life and ride less than in the past, I dont think any less of them for that. I myself was off the scoot for several yrs because of health issues.
Its who you are, not who you think or try to look like you are.
It shouldnt need any splainin Lucy, it kinda like 'why do you ride a HD when there are faster better?'
If you have to ask I aint gonna waste my time explaning.
Money is never a bad thing to have.
Wench, it doesnt sound like you need to prove anything

Quick Reply: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?