Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:36 AM
wescoot2
Road Master
Default RE: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?

Please, lets not get involved in ANOTHER helmet debate......

It's a matter of choice, unless the law requires them........Period .....

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:03 AM
HDniteryder
Novice

Groups = [:@] A few (2 or 3) friends = Alone =

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:15 AM
Gaffy52
Road Master

Hey GentlemanBiker - love that image and sooooooooooooooo true - except you forgot to add that they are all Dentists, Lawyers, Doctors, Sports Selector, Agents and Senior Execs / SVPs from software companies.

As to the origin of the term Cafe Racer - you are spot on, have a look here - http://www.historicmotorsportshow.co...ID=@0000000467- nostalga or what!

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:20 AM
jrsmith_80
Tourer

I am a national member but I choose not to ride with the big groups or go tot he meeting, mostly because all of the meetings and rides are over 100 miles from my house and I just dont see the point. I like to ride with a couple of people and that is about it.

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:42 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

I belong to the local chapter (primarily for the discount on parts). Went to a couple of chapter meetings but couldn't get into the politics of it. I ride with friends from the gym. It's all of what you make of it. If I didn't have to wear a helmet I wouldn't...period...just my personal philosophy. I wear a beenie because I live in a state (Maryland) where the politicans believe they know what's better for you than you do for yourself...no smoking in bars...extremely restrictive CCW (consealed weapon carry) laws, helmet, etc. As for big groups...I'm not a joiner I prefer to ride with one or two friends and their ladies or alone. When did all the political correctness creep it's way into the biker lifestyle? We're attracted to it for the freedom and rebellion and then seek to destroy the very thing that attracted us to it

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:44 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member

Ijoined, but have not attended a meeting or a ride. I've heard it can be cliquesh. This summer I might volunteer to work an event.I don't know. We'll see...

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:48 AM
Ribcracker
Tourer

ORIGINAL: GentlemanBiker

ORIGINAL: Gaffy52
Also there is the Ace Cafe which has been around in one guise or another since the early fifties and has always been a great place for bikers to gather.
If I am not mistaken, isn't that the very place that gave rise to the term "cafe racer"? Pretty cool.

Whilst the guys at the ace would love to claim they invented the term. It comes form the rockers of the 50-60s and them using cafes as meeitng places and hang outs on their bikes. There were several different cafes that they used and hence the term cafe racer came about form guys building what werereally street legal racers to ride between the cafe at speed when 10 mph was still classed as the "magic ton". All the other cafes are gone and we nealry lost the ace as well but that onewas saved. I guess todays equivlanet of the cafe racer is the streetfighter which is another style of bike the English have unleashed upon the world.

What I think the ace can lay claim to is the term "ace bars" which are a set of droped bars that place the riders hands in the same place as a set of racing clip on bars would but mount using the stock handle bar mount, which in themselves came form the practice of truning you stock handle bars upside down so the rider could get lower over the tank and get more speed.I have had a couple of real cafe racers inthe past and might do one again, seen a very nice sportser based one down the ace a few times but then a true cafe racer has a british engine in it

Old 05-02-2008 | 09:50 AM
hk_shooter
Outstanding HDF Member

I belong to both national and local HOG Chapters.
I think they are all differnet, and thus differnet rules.
My local one has just undergone a major shake-up of allboard members.
It was getting a bity too 'clicky'.
All of the rides I've gone on were pretty good.
Definately found some new roads and places to visit.
As for the safety part, well let's face it, when riding in a group you must know how to do it safely.
Hand signals and somewhat slower speeds are for everybody.
Not all riders are experienced as others.
I've rode with newbies on HOG runs and also when just riding informally.
We were all FNG's at one time....

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:05 AM
liltrk
Road Warrior

I hate going to meetings at work, so I am sure not going to a HOG meeting when I could be out riding. And like George Thorogood says about drinking "when I ride alone I like to be by myself"

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:06 AM
dajam_fxdli
Cruiser

Yes, there is lot of issues with HOG chapter, myself havingbelonged to three total have come to the conclusion, Form a social standpoint they seem ok but as is stated over and over, they tend to be more social clubs than "riders" clubs. However the one I am presently a member of is a good combinatin of both, plenty of rides and yes they are really into the safety issues. Why, because our club does sponsor some huge "all" bike events and are very active in the PGR, So safety is a huge concern. Especially if you go onto to a military base. IMHO, it is what you make out of it and if you use for certain needs great, but do not discount others for joining andfinding that safety net for new riders. btw, I have been on two wheels for over 30 years and still lovespeed and twisites, which is all wrong accordiing to some but is right when you need it....

Quick Reply: Hog chapters..... who rides with them?