Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning My Scoot

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008 | 02:20 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master
Default Cleaning My Scoot

Hi - just thought I'd share this with you. As you know the weather is not always all that great here in the UK and at best our Summer months get warm and very very occaisionally hot'ish. The bit I hate about cleaning my bike is either waiting for it to dry or drying it with a shamey leather or drying cloths. The Customer Services Director at my HD Dealership and I were talking about this and he suggested buying a leaf blower to use as a bike dryer - so always a mug for a wacky idea I did and it guess what it works really great. Cut the drying part right down and I was able to get on with the serious business of making it look shiney and new almost right away. Blew the water right off and from all the little nooks and crannies.

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:04 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Cleaning My Scoot

I've been using a leaf blower for years. It works great and gets into all the nooks and crannies to get that excess water out.

Another idea is to not use water so often and use Lemon Pledge (unless of course you have excessive dirt built up). Works great!

Old 05-02-2008 | 03:29 AM
royston
Road Captain

Hi,

I know EXACTLY what you mean by living over here in the UK.
I have never used a leather or drying cloth on any of my bikes for years other than to dry ally wheels which can sometimes have a salt stain even after using a blower. A good point to mention is to make sure you get an electric one and keep it for bike use only....when I first started using one of these I used the petrol garden vac and reversed the cycle, thebike was dirtier than when I washed it....you only make that mistake once ! - Grin

I find these days that I can dry off with thew vac and then vuff with a soft cloth to get a high polish finish with only the need to re polish every two or three washes.

Cheers

Old 05-02-2008 | 04:40 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master

Yup - mine's electic and soley for use on the bike (make sure you have fitted an earth leakage circuit breaker with all that water around). You should see my none biker friends faces when they find out! Also you also have to be careful you don't blow the water up from the ground back on to the bike or you have to start washing it all over - always point it down or move the bike first.

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:41 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member

Another thing to remember is to start from the top of the bike and work your way down. Water runs downhill.

Old 05-02-2008 | 08:50 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master

Hmmmm.........that reminds me of the one about the Irish water skier - he couldn't find a sloping lake!

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:37 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Ok, I dont get it [sm=confused06.gif]. How would using the blower to move the leafs around your yard, make it no longer usefull for drying your bike?

Cheers... Ben.

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:43 AM
Gaffy52
|
Road Master

I guess royston was refering to the fact most of the dryers these days double up as a vac and shredder - so I guess on the one he was using it was easier than the one I bought to reverse the operation from blow to suc and shred. Bike's too heavy and big to fit in the vac hole anyway [sm=icon_quiet.gif]

With mine its a major re-design operation to switch so there is no reason I couldn't use it to blow leaves around my garden or dry the bike [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:47 AM
96 Wide Glide
Road Master

Ahhhh, thanks. That makes sense.

Old 05-02-2008 | 10:57 AM
wdg
Outstanding HDF Member

that is standard issue equipment lol

Quick Reply: Cleaning My Scoot