Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasy goop on Voltage Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:21 AM
Arcane
Road Master
Default RE: Greasy goop on Voltage Regulator

If it is a heat conductive grease (heat sink) it seems like it would be found on the regulators of all the HD bikes using that series of regulator. I think that wescoot2 is probably right; it is something that the front wheel picked up and threw on the regulator. If it looks like dirty Vaseline then it sounds more like lube from the front end of a recently lubed car.

Arcane

Old 04-30-2008 | 08:31 AM
wescoot2
Road Master

Checking the service manual, I see no reference when installing a voltage regulator to applying any type of grease.

Respects,
Ed

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:18 PM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

never seen or heard of grease being used on a hd regulater.there a throw away item.but as was suggested check the backside see if its cracked or blowed out if it is chances are its done for

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:23 PM
Cannons Custom
Advanced

I agree. My bets on steering head grease.

Old 04-30-2008 | 09:26 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Ok Look under your front fender and see if it looks like it is slung up on the underside of the fender.

Reason i ask is i have the same issue and i for the life of me can not figure out where its coming from. Saw it last year and again now. Now signs of axel grease leaking me and cpl techs and the shop looked it over and can not figure it out.

Old 05-01-2008 | 05:29 AM
04fxdwgi
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: SeeNoSun

I noticed a greasy goop on the bottom of my 07 Street Bob's voltage regulator tonight. It looks like dirty vasoline. I can't see any leaks from the oil filter which is located directly over it. I can't see any oil coming from the various drain plugs under the bike. I'm totally confused where this greasy goop is coming from.

Any ideas?
Probably ran over a glob of grease on the road and tire flung it up on regulator. Trucks are
always dropping the stuff off the the 5th wheel and it sticks to everything.

Old 05-01-2008 | 07:13 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: USMC7236

Do you change your own oil? When removing the oil filter the oil drips all over the voltage regulator. It could be just residue from this.
+1 I use an old pop bottle when changing cut in half and put under filter let it run into drain pan

Old 05-01-2008 | 06:29 PM
SeeNoSun
|
Tourer

ok - its just crud from the road. There is a bunch of it under the fender too.

Thanks to all for the help

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:05 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

I believe it is a collection of excess electrons. This is generally caused by running the engine at very low rpms.
You need to run that baby down the highway and around the twisties in excess of 4500 rpms. If you do this on a regulor basis
(5000 rpms is better) you will probably never see this buildup occur ever again.

On the other hand, it could just be crud picked up off the road. Have you run through any pigshit, as of late?

DougJ

Old 05-01-2008 | 08:17 PM
SeeNoSun
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DougsDyna

I believe it is a collection of excess electrons. This is generally caused by running the engine at very low rpms.
You need to run that baby down the highway and around the twisties in excess of 4500 rpms. If you do this on a regulor basis
(5000 rpms is better) you will probably never see this buildup occur ever again.

On the other hand, it could just be crud picked up off the road. Have you run through any pigshit, as of late?

DougJ
hmm .. I have been running around Manassas and Leesburg lately. All kinds of crap on the road out in the sticks!

Quick Reply: Greasy goop on Voltage Regulator