Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help With Forward Controls, Bars and Braids

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Fuente
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Forward Controls, Bars and Braids

I have a 2005 Super Glide Custom that I absolutely love. The only drawback is that the bars cause me to pull forward slightly, but just enough to cause mild discomfort, more than I would like. I rarely use the highway pegs, but when I do, the comfort seems to be there but the 'forward pull' is even worse.... obviously with your feet forward more (either highway pegs or forward controls) your seating position is a bit more 'inclined'. Am I on the right track so far?

If I could draw it up, this is what I would like and would appreciate some info on how you would handle it:

* a riser or new bars to gain that 'pull-back' ever so slightly.... maybe a few inches would be perfect. If bars, which ones would you recommend? If a simple riser, what is the cost and labor in comparison to new bars?

* braids..... I have lowered turn signals on the front, and there is barely enough cable as it is, so I am assuming that it would be necessary, and perhaps the best look anyway, to just get braided cables for everything up front. It seems logical that to place a riser or new bars would also be the time to switch out the stock, black hoses for the better and cleaner braided cables. Agree?

* lastly, forward controls: Does this change the game regarding the above, riser/bars and braided cables... with forward controls as opposed to the stock mid controls? I like the mids because I seem to have better control of the bike, but do you who use the forward controls also feel the same.... and it just took some time 'to get used to them'?

With a bad back, I am concerned of the forward controls causing me to sit more on my tailbone.... does this occur?

Honestly, a very funny and ridiculous site is when a very short person is on a big Harley with forward controls and he looks as if he is straight-legged riding the bike. I'm 6'0" tall, so I don't think that would be an issue with the forward controls on my Super Glide. As it is, I think I am at the limit with the mids.... but it is not uncomfortable since I don't do long riding.

Any help is much appreciated. I purchased some things at Sorgy's and saved some money... and I often purchase at Chicago Harley for parts since it is 20% msrp, free shipping, and no tax... small handling fee is not much.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:22 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need Help With Forward Controls, Bars and Braids

I'll bet that if you get a small set of risers it will solve your problems. New bars that pull back on their own would also do the trick but they would cost more than just risers.

I have a terrible back and the surgery scars to prove it. Forward controls will put you in pain, I would stick with mids. Just use highway pegs if you want to stretch out sometimes while riding. Mids keep your feet underneath you more and allow you to put weight on your feet and legs and take some off your back. Of course the choice is yours.

Anytime is a good time to get braided cables. Again, the choice is yours on when to do so.

You could also just try rotating your current handlebars back a little bit and see if that helps at all. Depending upon where they're at right now you could possibly get 1/4" or so more towards you and that might be just enough for you. New risers would do the same because the higher they are the more straight you'll be if your bars are positioned correctly.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:37 PM
wild wally
Road Master

if it were me, I would go from the stock 1 1/2" riser to a 2" riser, and bend the handlebars towards you slightly. That way you could do it your self without recabling anything, and get about an inch of extra reach, which will make a big difference. Any more rise, whether from a taller riser, or bigger handlebars, will be quite a bit of labor.

Wally

Old 02-17-2006, 03:48 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Look at the risers on a Lowrider. For '04, the Lowriders had the same handlebars as a stock FXD, but were just mounted on higher risers. I had a set of straight risers which were then switched to pullback with the stock bars and wiring, everything fit with no mods, unless you want to change things. Not sure about the '05 line, but you could ask the dealer, they should know, don't think they changed anything up front. Wiring harness for the Lowrider and the FXD are plenty long.

Recommend unbolting the handlebars and laying them down on a towel or blanket across the gas tank. At that point the stock shorty risers can be unbolted and changed w/o any real problems. Tighten them down finger tight, remount the handlebars to make sure they sit square in the risers and then bolt everything down snug with a torque wrench. It is about a 45 minute project even if you aren't that adept with tools, no handlebar disassembly, pretty straight forward. I did this and rode for the better part of a year before swapping them out for my current set of T-bars.

PowerCobra is right about the foot controls, I'd leave the mids alone and put on a set of adjustable highway pegs to stretch out. I have the forward controls on my bike but left the mids in place as it gives me another place to move my feet while riding.

Old 02-17-2006, 04:22 PM
PowerCobra98
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Recommend unbolting the handlebars and laying them down on a towel or blanket across the gas tank. At that point the stock shorty risers can be unbolted and changed w/o any real problems. Tighten them down finger tight, remount the handlebars to make sure they sit square in the risers and then bolt everything down snug with a torque wrench.
Glad you spelled that out, I was actually thinking of putting on a small set of risers myself and was wondering what I would do with the bars but just figured I would lay them on the tank or something. Turns out I was right. Thanks!

Question for you, do risers come with new bushings or do you use the old ones? Is it a better idea to replace the stock bushings with something else? If so, what?

Old 02-17-2006, 04:58 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it were me i would go with HD fat drag bars they pull back and have holes to run the wires inside the bar. im gonna put the fat mini apes on my street bob they are sweeeet but cost a bit more (of course)

Old 02-18-2006, 11:55 AM
wideglide06
Intermediate

I am 6'1" and had the same problems/concerns with my 01 FXD Super Glide, back problem and felt mid-controls gave me more control. I rode a 02 FXDWG for an afternoon and was convinced the forward controls were not as much of a problem as originally thought. The only issue was bumps, you take the jolt to your spine instead of in your legs. Anyway, the decision was made for me. I changed out the bars to mid ape hangers with 3/4" chrome risers, chrome handlebar clamp, forward controls, braided throttle cables and brake line. When the tank was removed, the wire bundle was dressed out of the frame backbone and triple trees for needed length. I found the forward controls were more comfortable and I slowed down more for bumps, railroad tracks, construction etc. I have moved up to a 06 FXDWGI and still feel the forward controls provide the best riding comfort for me.

My 2 Cents

Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

Although I could have left the stock bushings alone, I replaced them with the red polyurethane bushings which dampened what little vibration I did get a little better. Either would be okay, but since the bars are off, it's a good time to do the bushings and add a set of chrome riser bolts also.

Old 02-18-2006, 12:22 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member

The T-bars on a Glide look great, I agree that the wiring can be a time consuming prospect and run some dollars if you don't do it yourself. It's actually a pretty easy project if you take your time, it's not something that will take an hour or two, plan on at least a day for the "unexpected" delays. You can do better price-wise with non HD bars. The Street Slammer HD bars are $329.00 and you can do better with either Wild One's or Carlini bars, better looking and a lot less expensive in my opinion. My personal preference is the Chubby's from Wild Ones', that's what I have, were about 1/2 the price of the HD bars.