Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Muffler autopsy

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Limey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Muffler autopsy

What was the first year they put catalysts into the muffler? I'll have to find some without.

Old 04-29-2008, 07:23 PM
DougsDyna
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Limey

What was the first year they put catalysts into the muffler? I'll have to find some without.
I didn't have any in my 06 Dyna mufflers.

DougJ

Old 04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Limey
Tourer

There are catalysts in both my 06 mufflers, and as far back as 97 they were putting a cat in one muffler but not the other.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:24 PM
cornishman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RAWHIDE07

I advise against the mod.Used slip-ons are cheap and can be resold,if you buy a set and don't like them you can return to stock.Modified stock mufflers would be hard to sell.
Used stock mufflers are cheaper. I have V&H slipons at the moment and even with the "quiet" baffles in they're very loud and I will get a ticket for it here in the UK if I'm caught. I was hoping that modified stock mufflers would be less anti-social and will definitely stop me getting a ticket.
Hi Limey, i,m in the UK as well.I have Shortshots with"quiet" baffles and found them a little too loud for the same reasons as you.
I havemoddified them by the same principle as you see on aftermarket cans ie a removable baffle that sits inside the "quiet" baffle.
Dead easy to make and takes that top edge off the sound (the raspy bit) i,m real pleased with the mod.
The performance feels at least the same,the tone maybe slightly deeper,i,ll let you know the dyno figures soon.
I,ve seen this used on other pipesin fact the pipe i used came from a BMW R1150R Remus muffler.
The pipe is 1 1/4" outside diameter, 2 1/2" long, with a bracket welded to the end with a 1/4" unc hole tapped in ittofasten inside the V&Hquiet baffle. The maximum length you could go to is 5" which could drop the sound more i,m not sure.
I drilled a clearance hole in the V&H baffle opposite to the existing hole with the backing nut as this makes any removal easier in the future.
I used the original V&H stainless fixing screws.

[IMG]local://upfiles/32129/569FF6791BD045E398E5D9EBF70F79CB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/32129/4C9FE6D96256465290861017DD5AF2E7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm new to the group, first post.

I was hoping to see details of disassembling HD mufflers. Specifically those on the FXDF (which I picked up last week). It appears that removing the three rivets by clipping the ends inside the mufflers then grinding the remainder off w/a dremel toolthen pulling the baffle out is all that is required. Can anyone confirm this?

My plan would be to either modify the existing baffles or replace w/something like this:

http://www.bigcitythunder.com/pages/product-fit.html

Likely this would be a short term fix.

I've been riding a 1994 FXDL w/Bub Chamber Maid pipes and they ae just fantastic, absolutely the best sounding pipes around and the torque chambers really work great. Sorry, but the pipes on my new FXDF are just way too quiet. I am one of those that believes the louder the better.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 AM
Limey
Tourer

ORIGINAL: cornishman

I advise against the mod.Used slip-ons are cheap and can be resold,if you buy a set and don't like them you can return to stock.Modified stock mufflers would be hard to sell.
Used stock mufflers are cheaper. I have V&H slipons at the moment and even with the "quiet" baffles in they're very loud and I will get a ticket for it here in the UK if I'm caught. I was hoping that modified stock mufflers would be less anti-social and will definitely stop me getting a ticket.
Hi Limey, i,m in the UK as well.I have Shortshots with"quiet" baffles and found them a little too loud for the same reasons as you.
I havemoddified them by the same principle as you see on aftermarket cans ie a removable baffle that sits inside the "quiet" baffle.
Dead easy to make and takes that top edge off the sound (the raspy bit) i,m real pleased with the mod.
The performance feels at least the same,the tone maybe slightly deeper,i,ll let you know the dyno figures soon.
I,ve seen this used on other pipesin fact the pipe i used came from a BMW R1150R Remus muffler.
The pipe is 1 1/4" outside diameter, 2 1/2" long, with a bracket welded to the end with a 1/4" unc hole tapped in ittofasten inside the V&Hquiet baffle. The maximum length you could go to is 5" which could drop the sound more i,m not sure.
I drilled a clearance hole in the V&H baffle opposite to the existing hole with the backing nut as this makes any removal easier in the future.

Hi Cornishman, thanks for that, it looks pretty simple and very neat. In fact given how small they are I'm amazed they actually affect the sound at all. I don't suppose you'd fancy creating another pair would you? As somebody who's never welded in my life I'd happily pay for them.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Did this quiet them enough to pass inspection? I know if they pass GB inspection they have to pass Germany's.

Right now I have some Big city thunder quiet baffels on order. Will post how they are.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Limey
Tourer

This wouldn't make them pass the UK test. To pass that you need a valid British Standard number stamped on the mufflers, i.e. stock mufflers, so I'll probably have to put them back on for the test. Quieter baffles will make me less likely to get pulled over by the police and given a ticket though. I've a feeling that the tests and regs are even tougher in Germany, some towns even ban bikes at night, strange in a country that has no speed limit at all on the autobahn.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

This wouldn't make them pass the UK test. To pass that you need a valid British Standard number stamped on the mufflers, i.e. stock mufflers, so I'll probably have to put them back on for the test. Quieter baffles will make me less likely to get pulled over by the police and given a ticket though. I've a feeling that the tests and regs are even tougher in Germany, some towns even ban bikes at night, strange in a country that has no speed limit at all on the autobahn.
You got that right. I bought some Vance and Hines slip ons in case I fail I can then switch to the stock mufflers for the inspection. Last time I was there (2002-2005) they did not care what we had on our bikes. They knew we were only stationed there temporary and would not be staying.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
cornishman
Road Master

Hi Cornishman, thanks for that, it looks pretty simple and very neat. In fact given how small they are I'm amazed they actually affect the sound at all. I don't suppose you'd fancy creating another pair would you? As somebody who's never welded in my life I'd happily pay for them.
I,m sure i could make something up.I,m not sure if your baffles are the same internal diamentionsso to be sure i would need a baffle to work,if that sounds ok let me know and i,ll sort it.

Quick Reply: Muffler autopsy