Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shockproof - BULL

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
Id.Fat Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Red Line HDSP in my trans and noticed a difference in sound right away! Now after 1500 miles the trans shifts like butter...where before it didn't like second gear up or down! Not my imagination cuz it took a while! The Mobile 1 VT is good to a much higher temp, so that's why I use it! While I'm babbling, I use the HD filter cuz it is a true 5 micron nominal filter...the only one I know of! When that engine fires up...I know that all my bases are covered best I can do! That warm fuzzy feeling abounds!
Sometime...when yer a long way out at night on a lonely road...you'll think of all the dish water you dumped in yer bike...mark my words!

Old 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
Junkster
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love old dead oil posts. Most important key is its in there. To each their own.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:14 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Your conclusions are hardly scientifically validated, but my gut tells me you are correct. That said, only the best goes into my Wide Glide...

Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I switched to Pepto Bismol a few years ago after reading near-miraculous anecdotes here. I didn't notice a big difference in the Dyna, but the Road King definitely showed improved shifting characteristics, and easier Neutral finds from 1st or 2nd

Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 PM
Puffdaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lightweight bob
Red Line's website states that V-Twin transmission oil is the same as shockproof heavy. I
could not find "medium" - only heavy, light and ultra light. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Fwiw - I run Red Line mainly because my godson is a dealer - get the long deal. But you
can find the V-Twin Power Packs online for $100 delivered. Just remember that six speed
primarys take 38 oz. so an extra quart of primary oil is needed
. Included in the pack is five
qts engine oil, qt. tranny oil, qt. primary oil, FI cleaner fuel additive, funnel, and a cap. Add
it up and it's not any more expensive than other synthetics. Is it better? Well, if you have
a sport/race bike like a Ducati or Aprilia that came with Shell Advanced Ultra oil made in
Germany, the only oil sold in the USA that meets that spec is Red Line - check with Pro
Italia Motorcycles if you doubt me. My 2 cents.
This is NOT true! It takes less than a qt for the primary on current 6 speeds! I put about 28oz.
BTW, I got the PowerPack last year, and shortly after filling the primary I got a leak. Went back to HD and it went away. The RL got thin when hot and weeped out when parked. This is not bad that it seeps into every nook and cranny, but I got tired of puddles staining my floor.
I like the SP trans fluid. I still have another 4k or so before change, and I'll stick with it. In the motor, I went with Lucas Syn since it is locally available.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:37 PM
RAWHIDE07
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 40,079 Likes on 13,529 Posts

Bacon grease in all three holes is the only way to go! Problem is though that dogs and fat chicks follow you home.

Last edited by RAWHIDE07; 05-03-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:28 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cant speak to the redline pro's and cons as its nto available here locally.

but as for the "designer" oils. well let me tell ya when i first got my currant bike last summer it had just gotten fluids done in all 3 holes, the shop put HD formula plus in it and the trans rattled and chattered like it was full of marbles, next oil change i drained it and noticed it had ALOT of metalic dust particles in the oil. put in some "designer" royal purple max gear 75w90 and the chatter was gone leaving only an audiable "click" when shifting, finding neutral was a breeze too. on the last service i did before startign this season noticed there was not any noticable metal particles when draining it. so between the quieter running, better wearing*less metal **** in the oil at change time* and better resistance to heat i'll be sticking with my royal purple "designer oil"

as it was stated if your only putting on a coupel thousand miles a year it really doesnt matter much what ya use, but when your like me and use your bike as primary transport 8-11 months of the year logging 30k+ a year a better oil is very important.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:26 AM
lightweight bob
Road Master
Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Puffdaddy
This is NOT true! It takes less than a qt for the primary on current 6 speeds! I put about 28oz.
BTW, I got the PowerPack last year, and shortly after filling the primary I got a leak. Went back to HD and it went away. The RL got thin when hot and weeped out when parked. This is not bad that it seeps into every nook and cranny, but I got tired of puddles staining my floor.
I like the SP trans fluid. I still have another 4k or so before change, and I'll stick with it. In the motor, I went with Lucas Syn since it is locally available.
Red Line has the 38 oz statement posted on their website. I've got a five speed and
just parroted what they have there - my bad for not checking as not all primarys take
the same. Some do call for 38 oz. though.

Last edited by lightweight bob; 05-07-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added info