Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shockproof - BULL

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 AM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shockproof - BULL

almost everything on the market today .is sold buy the enemy in one form another.people should have started picking and chooseing along time ago.sorry it's just the way it is now days.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:40 AM
EVOrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 203 Posts

I agree with Dynamite for the most part.....

The primary is old low technology....nothing really special about that. Cheap fluid will do just fine in here and synthetic won't make it last any longer. Fact remains....cheap 10w30 through 20w50 as well as ATF are all ok to use. Straight weight work fine too.

The transmission is of a simple design. Any cheap gear lube works great and will work just as good as the most expensive fluid on the market.

If a person believes their Harley should have the most expensive fluid available and that their bike last longer....go ahead and buy it if it makes you feel any better. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of cars and trucks using cheap gear lube in their differentials for thousands of miles with no trouble. Same goes for vehicles with a manual transmissions.

The Twin Cam can use either regluar Dino or synthetic oil be just fine. The extra heat and the fact that many synthetics hold up much better....synthetic would probably be the best choice here. I personally would probably use the Mobile One 15w50 if it were up to me. Having said all that....there is NO documentation of any engine failure due to either if the oil was synthetic or regular dino.

No matter what is used....the motor and other various parts will still wear out.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: SK8ROD

shock proof in the trans and its made a frickin HUGE difference, likewise with MCV in the crank, after about ten miles it was a new bike, really smoothed it all out. No bull, straight up, both have made a big difference to my Bob. I'm guessing you did it wrong.... that should stur thungs up.....
OK, so now I have about 150 miles with Redline Shockproof in the tranny and still I can't tell any difference. I drained the HD Forumla from a HOT engine, it's all gone. I put in a full 32oz bottle of Redline Shockproof pink oil. It is exactly where it should be on the dipstick etc.....

I'm telling you, people spend the money and time putting in mail order Pepto Bismol and think it makes their tranny smoother, eaiser to find gears, reduces the "clunk". Sorry, on a properly maintained 07 Dyna (3800 miles now), I dont think you could tell in a blind ride test.

Crimping the inner ring under the gas cap to stop the rattle made a much more noticeable difference than this!

Guess this is an unpopular topic for the designer oil crowd. Now I've tried it. Just no Hugo oil please. My advice is a good synthetic locally available oil changed regularly (I think more often than the book) would probably be the best strategy. I can't wait to see what my dealer would say if I had a warranty issue and they found this pink stuff in my transmission. Pink oil in a Harley? Who woulda thunk?

Old 04-28-2008, 08:22 AM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: EVOrider

I agree with Dynamite for the most part.....

The primary is old low technology....nothing really special about that. Cheap fluid will do just fine in here and synthetic won't make it last any longer. Fact remains....cheap 10w30 through 20w50 as well as ATF are all ok to use. Straight weight work fine too.

The transmission is of a simple design. Any cheap gear lube works great and will work just as good as the most expensive fluid on the market.

If a person believes their Harley should have the most expensive fluid available and that their bike last longer....go ahead and buy it if it makes you feel any better. Keep in mind that there are hundreds of cars and trucks using cheap gear lube in their differentials for thousands of miles with no trouble. Same goes for vehicles with a manual transmissions.

The Twin Cam can use either regluar Dino or synthetic oil be just fine. The extra heat and the fact that many synthetics hold up much better....synthetic would probably be the best choice here. I personally would probably use the Mobile One 15w50 if it were up to me. Having said all that....there is NO documentation of any engine failure due to either if the oil was synthetic or regular dino.

No matter what is used....the motor and other various parts will still wear out.
+1 [sm=exactly.gif]

Old 04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
joe.1955
Stellar HDF Member
Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

2008 Wide Glide with 9,000 miles.

Dealer put Syn 3 in my tranny at the 1K service when I asked them to put it in the engine only.

The transmission sounded like marbles bouncing around in a tin can whenever I accelerated, and finding neutral was a pain. I switched to Spectro 6 speed tranny fluid and noticed some improvement, but the noise was still there.

Then I switched to Redline Shockproof and the noise was gone. It has a very high "cling" factor, coats and stays on the metal parts and doesn't throw off the way thinner oils do. Now that it has gotten hotter in the Phoenix area - near 100 degrees - I occasionally get a light chatter from the tranny in the heat of the day.

Yes there is still a loud clunk when going into 1st gear, but that doesn't bother me. Neutral is a breeze to find.

Until they come up with something better, I am sticking with the Redline Shockproof because of the performance - not the brand. I run Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 in the crankcase and theengine is noticibly quieter and cooler than dyno oil or Syn 3. I still run Formula + in the primary.

I don't recommend anything to anyone else unless I notice a real improvement, and I recommend Redline shockproof in the tranny to everyone I ride with.

Just my experience.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:42 AM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

technicley the Pink shock proof it too heavy for HD trans anyway, let me rephrase (WRONG) lube.
if you look at Redlines own site you can see that the medium shock proof is the correct fluid for the job. My gearbox was noisey for 500 miles when new and then went totaly quite! It dose not matter what i run in it, its quite. but Im trying the Belray trans lube next time anyway.

as for the engine oil, if you dont have heat gun or some sort of thermal imaging device you wont see any different just riding it. all the oils job is to lubricate and with most synthetics protect the parts with additives that are placed in the oil.

I dont belive in the Amsoil extended driving on my HD, the oil gets changed at 3 to 5 K nomatter what, the engine oil gets dirty from the combustion and from the outside air and I belive the running over 5K on any oil is detremental to the engine. and the additves burn off all oils after 5K miles.

Just maintain your ride and regular intervals and it will be fine.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

I changed to Shockproof a couple of oil changes ago. The only difference I have noticed is the neutral light now works right. Before it would come on at every shift and sometimes stay on while in 5th and 6th gear. Now it only comes on when it is neutral. So this stuff must be slipperier then the HD dino oil, because whatever was sticking has stopped sticking.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dynamite17
I'm telling you, people spend the money and time putting in mail order Pepto Bismol and think it makes their tranny smoother, eaiser to find gears, reduces the "clunk". Sorry, on a properly maintained 07 Dyna (3800 miles now), I dont think you could tell in a blind ride test.
So, what you're saying is people have tried it; reported their results and they're wrong. You, on the other hand, have tried it; reported your results and are right.

Got it.

Old 04-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Splatter

ORIGINAL: Dynamite17
So, what you're saying is people have tried it; reported their results and they're wrong. You, on the other hand, have tried it; reported your results and are right.

Got it.
Interpret it as you wish, I am reporting my results. Wish it were better after buying it, shipping it, and changing it.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:11 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 569 Likes on 396 Posts

ORIGINAL: mentor70

technicley the Pink shock proof it too heavy for HD trans anyway, let me rephrase (WRONG) lube.
if you look at Redlines own site you can see that the medium shock proof is the correct fluid for the job. My gearbox was noisey for 500 miles when new and then went totaly quite! It dose not matter what i run in it, its quite. but Im trying the Belray trans lube next time anyway.

as for the engine oil, if you dont have heat gun or some sort of thermal imaging device you wont see any different just riding it. all the oils job is to lubricate and with most synthetics protect the parts with additives that are placed in the oil.

I dont belive in the Amsoil extended driving on my HD, the oil gets changed at 3 to 5 K nomatter what, the engine oil gets dirty from the combustion and from the outside air and I belive the running over 5K on any oil is detremental to the engine. and the additves burn off all oils after 5K miles.

Just maintain your ride and regular intervals and it will be fine.
I agree , heay shockproof istoo heavy.You may actually lose a minute amount of power due to drag. If ya want something a littleheavier than stock,ya might want to use amsoil 75-110. gear lube.

Quick Reply: Shockproof - BULL