Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling the tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Filling the tank.

Ya so this is prob just about as newbie as you get. First bike, first Harley..... I have filled the tank 2 times and both times the pump clicks and I call it quits. Never once when I start the bike can I get the needle past 3/4 full sometimes it looks hardly past the 1/2 way mark. I even sat on the bike to straighten it while I filled the tank. What the heck am I doing wrong? Maybe the guage mest up, or is it just me, haha?

Nick

Old 04-23-2008, 11:29 PM
amish
Road Captain
Default RE: Filling the tank.

dont put the gas pump all the way into the tank hold it just past the hole in the tank and watch the gas. when its fill up past the hole in the tank the first time i do that mabye 1 or 2 more time and then i know i have a full tank

Old 04-23-2008, 11:31 PM
ratpack enforcer
Advanced

when you fill your bike have it on the kick stand and hold the nozzle to where the end is just below the neck in your tank and watch for the fuel to reach that point then it will be full

Old 04-23-2008, 11:38 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap... I know what to do but I've been away from Calif. for so many years I forget what to call the parts of the nozzle. Anyway, you need to pull back the part that seals against the filler tube (vapor recovery system?) and hold the nozzle out just a bit so you can see the end of the nozzle in the tank and, consequently, see the gas as it is dispensed. Squeeze very gently until you see tha gas below the baffle. Then goose the nozzle a couple of times to bring the gas level to where you want it.

Would you believe I'm a service technician and teach others to troubleshoot equipment? I don't think I've ever done such a crappy job but I hope my explanation gets you on the right track.

Old 04-23-2008, 11:54 PM
coastrider
Road Master

What amish and ratpack said. With a little experience you will remember which pumps at which station work the smoothest. Some pumps are really jerky and when you are trying to top off your tank you can run into problems. You'll get the hang of it.

Ride Safe.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:02 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to spill it on my tank all the time when I first started. You get the hang of it eventually. You learn that some pump nozzles are just badly designed (or bad) but the majority work well. I fill it up as far as I can to the bottom of the metal ring.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:40 AM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member

wait a second here... pump in CA are different than pumps in other states??? have to pull some seal thingy back... weird!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:48 AM
dyna07custom
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

hold vapor recovery neck up put nozzle just below hole and watch when its full

Old 04-24-2008, 06:54 AM
BLade1127
Road Warrior

This is exactly why I enjoy the people in this forum so much. Yes, this is the most "Newbie" question that anybody could ever ask!! How to put gas in a tank? But, yet, out of all the responses, no one has said anything negative or poked fun. That just goes to show you how much class folks in the Dyna forum have. No stupid questions at all. Love it!!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 AM
brokebolt
Intermediate

I'll add my $0.02.

Yes, everthing in California is different...not better, just different. It's so they can charge more.

Yes, like what others have stated, you do need to pull back the vapory recovery boot to get the tank full. I leave the nozzle in until she clicks off then pull it back just enough to peer inside the tank;thus blocking the fume recovery return. Occationally droplets will fly out so be advised.

Also I was taught never to sit on the bike during fueling, two reasons; raw fuel can spill out onto your lap, irritate the skin (and other items of skin if you get my drift) and cause rashes, cancer and the like. Also fuel on a hot exhaust pipe 'can' ignite. I have never seen the fire but have had fuel on the leg and even after it evaporated it was itchy and red. Very annoying but cleared up with a shower and a few days. Although, I dohave a spot on my knee that was perminately damaged by kneeling in a puddle of fuel at my work. The skin is all hard and rough like an elephants skin in a circle about 2 inches in diameter. Wierd.

Quick Reply: Filling the tank.