Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling the tank.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
cHiLi_11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Filling the tank.

Maaaaaaaan, you guys rock.......haha! Look now I am gonna be a pro at filling my gas tank. Still cant believe I had to ask, haha. Maybe it does have to do with the 2" tank lift.........[sm=thanx.gif].

The bike is 3 weeks old and looks muuuuch diffrent. I cant wait to show you guys pics, stay tuned!!!

Nick

Old 04-24-2008, 04:06 PM
FXDF MYK
Cruiser

20 plus years ago I would dump the nozzle before pumping, because spilling gas on my ride made me want to hurt someone, now that I am back I do the same thing. If you are unfortunate enough to have a Cali model with the Charcoal canister on it you could overfill the tank and fill the canister, which won't let your tank breath and choke your bike on acceleration. D.A. here learned this yesterday.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Grizzbare.

Is that a 105th Edition Street Bob???

MIke

Old 04-24-2008, 05:28 PM
Lone Watie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing I do is get out my aviation style checklist for the procedure that follows

- I keep the bike to left of the pump, hole closer to the hose
- I have 2" lift, +1 for me on greater accuracy with gauge
- I get a handfull of papertowels ready
- remove the nozzle from the pump and cover the end with the towels to avoid the left over from previous use spilling out before I get the nozzle in the hole
- +1 on keeping the nozzle just inside the tank - allows me a greater capacity fill up
- fill till it clicks (works here in VA, although nozzle not all the way in), or fill till I see it full
- Give it a couple extra pumps after fills up
- shake the tip a couple times to knock off the drips (if you shake it more than twice you're playing with it pal)
- put the towels back over the end, and in one graceful, sweeping motion move the nozzle away from the bike
- put the cap back on
- put the checklist away

Just kidding on the checklist, but not on shaking it more than twice
Sounds complicated, but it's not. Have had pretty good success - no spillovers recently.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM
the metal
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just do like captain america and use my glove to handle any drips out of the nozzle.

for some reason, i never forgot that scene.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
stagolee
Road Master

Up here in Northern Cali the Chevron stations have a vapor sleeve that doesn't reach so far down, so it takes less effort to pull the foreskin back.

Also, the triggers on the Chevron handles are less 'jerky' than at other stations, so you can squeeze off just a little or a lot depending on how hard you press.

So... try Chevron stations.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:46 PM
Shizims
Tourer

Whew... Glad somebody else had this problem...

My first fill up for Fat Bob resulted in his right side getting a nice gas bath...

Not to self remove sunglass so I can see down in there a little better. I tried to "top off" with an "all or nothing" gas pump and got a nice splash of gas all over the tank.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Righteous
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always filled my bikewhile sitting on the seat, butnever thought about what would happen if there was a spill I might have to rethink that.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:35 AM
brokebolt
Intermediate

I tried filling with the pump on both sides of the bike. I think I like the pump on the right side so as the hose does not touch the bike, seat, tank, bars, or anyother part of the bike. I have seen some of the sleeve cleaning nose junkies that use the station I use. Also it makes it easier to work the pump. Reason you ask...I had a pump handle stick open one time years ago at a Chevron station. Gas went everywhere; about 2 gallons flowed like a river all over the ground. I dropped the handle and ran like a B*%#h.

After talking to a pump technician he suggested that next time that happens just shove the nozzle back in the cradle. It will shut off the pump and thus no fuel will flow. We have the flapper in the top of the craddle. I konw some other states are still using the old hand flap across the pump handle so for you guys you would need to craddle it and then spin the lever...I do beleive. Something to keep in mind.

Also California state law says all refueling stations must have working compressed air, water, and window washing equipment...does this include paper towels? I would think so but everytime I hit "that station" the paper towel dispenser is always empty!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:36 AM
Grizzbare
Tourer

It is a 105 FXDC superglide custom. I like the copper top

Quick Reply: Filling the tank.