Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best handling dyna

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:07 PM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
Gotta disagree a little here. Some people feel the wider tires will track a little better. You get a drag bar instead of apes or buckhorns. PLUS (and this is a big one) you get dual front brakes!!! You can always buy slimmer tires if that's what you want when it comes time to change them. Good luck fitting dual disks on any other dyna without spending some serious dough.

...now this is assuming the the Fatbob in question was purchased with mid controls and not forwards.
I almost think the FXDF's front tire is too fat...something a little narrower would be ideal for me. The brakes are a definite plus....but what I was thinking last night and you picked it out as well....this is assuming he goes with the mid controls.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:12 PM
notfried
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't have a dyna but am getting one in the next couple weeks and here's my opinion.

i have ridden a few different types of dynas and the FXR handles the best to me hands down...and i ride 110 miles of twisty county highways every day to and from work...the FXDX if the second best handling that i've rode and that's what i'm lookin' fer now...well actually an FXDXT

Old 02-08-2009, 05:13 PM
50cal
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Got a couple of crotch rockets in the stable and gottta say my Fat Bob handles almost as well in the twistees... to the point that I'm tempted to hang off the side and drag some metal.

Old 02-08-2009, 05:20 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by notfried
i don't have a dyna but am getting one in the next couple weeks and here's my opinion.

i have ridden a few different types of dynas and the FXR handles the best to me hands down...and i ride 110 miles of twisty county highways every day to and from work...the FXDX if the second best handling that i've rode and that's what i'm lookin' fer now...well actually an FXDXT
This could be beaten to death and has been for years. The great FXR was the best handling HD ever to roll out of the MoCo. But the FXR is NOT a DYNA!
I agree that as far as Dynas go, you simply will not find a better handling bike than an FXDX or FXDXT. The suspension was and is head and shoulders above the rest (as far as out of the box.) Unfortunately, they quit making the FXDX in 05. It had the best ground clearance and lean angle of all the dynas.
So if you don't mind a used bike, go with an FXR or a Dyna FXDX if handling is your main concern.
As mentioned before, in 06, the Dyna frame was redesigned and beefed up. All of the 06 and up Dynas handle fairly well, but can be made much better with some tweaking.
The FatBob does have the most potential out of the box. With dual disc brakes up front and mid controls, with some well thought out modifications, it can be made into a beast. The Superglide, Street Bob, Custom or any of the Dynas with 29 degrees of rake is going to be a contender with some work.
If I were a younger guy coming off of sportbikes, I would definitely have to consider the new 1200R sportster. That bike looks like it would be an absolute blast to ride and from the specs and reviews I've seen, it has the power to back it up. With an inverted front end, ground clearance and lots of performance oriented goodies plus with a pretty descent price tag....it's worth checking into. If you can get your hands on one, because as I understand there's a very limited production run here for the states.
In ending, it's really all personal preference and what someone feels comfortable with. Also take into consideration a rider's skill level. After all, what good is an amazingly well handling bike if the rider can't take it to it's potential?
I'm sure there are those on here that would disagree with some of my opinions and some that will have even better advice to offer. This is just my 2 cents.

D

Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by last saint
This could be beaten to death and has been for years. The great FXR was the best handling HD ever to roll out of the MoCo. But the FXR is NOT a DYNA!
I agree that as far as Dynas go, you simply will not find a better handling bike than an FXDX or FXDXT. The suspension was and is head and shoulders above the rest (as far as out of the box.) Unfortunately, they quit making the FXDX in 05. It had the best ground clearance and lean angle of all the dynas.
So if you don't mind a used bike, go with an FXR or a Dyna FXDX if handling is your main concern.
As mentioned before, in 06, the Dyna frame was redesigned and beefed up. All of the 06 and up Dynas handle fairly well, but can be made much better with some tweaking.
The FatBob does have the most potential out of the box. With dual disc brakes up front and mid controls, with some well thought out modifications, it can be made into a beast. The Superglide, Street Bob, Custom or any of the Dynas with 29 degrees of rake is going to be a contender with some work.
If I were a younger guy coming off of sportbikes, I would definitely have to consider the new 1200R sportster. That bike looks like it would be an absolute blast to ride and from the specs and reviews I've seen, it has the power to back it up. With an inverted front end, ground clearance and lots of performance oriented goodies plus with a pretty descent price tag....it's worth checking into. If you can get your hands on one, because as I understand there's a very limited production run here for the states.
In ending, it's really all personal preference and what someone feels comfortable with. Also take into consideration a rider's skill level. After all, what good is an amazingly well handling bike if the rider can't take it to it's potential?
I'm sure there are those on here that would disagree with some of my opinions and some that will have even better advice to offer. This is just my 2 cents.

D
I have always wondered "what made the FXDX so much better"? If you upgraded the front and rear suspension on a fatbob (or any other dyna with a dual-disk setup) and didn't slam it low...wouldn't that make a superior bike, given the chasis upgrades on 06-up models???

Old 02-08-2009, 08:49 PM
wood butcher
Tourer

In my youth I also was a sportbike guy. Being older I've taken to the touring bikes. Last year though, I purchased a Fat Bob. When test riding I was surprised at how nimble the Fat Bob is. I personally like the fatter front tire and dual brakes. The stopping power is impressive. I haven't ridden any of the other Dynas unfortunately, but if they handle better than the Fat Bob you'll have a heck of a ride. Good luck with whatever you end up with.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:55 PM
wbeem
Tourer

Another vote for the Fat Bob. Also, the best handling Dyna is NOT the Wide Glide. Try doing some Figure 8's on that thing. Blech.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM
Lopoetve
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offense, but no Dyna compares to a decent sporty (Stock). Mine has lots of front end vibration and wiggle, especially in the high speed sweepers (80mph with it about a cm off of the left peg, for instance). My 1200R didn't do that at all.

I'm pretty sure it's correctable though - I've ordered a fork brace, true-track system, and I'm shopping for some better shocks.

I used to ride crotch rockets only - I ride hard, push the bike hard, and beat the pegs up Mine will handle by the time I'm done.

edit: and it won't be a wide glide - extra front end out there reduces handling capability.

Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
last saint
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by devils haircut
I have always wondered "what made the FXDX so much better"? If you upgraded the front and rear suspension on a fatbob (or any other dyna with a dual-disk setup) and didn't slam it low...wouldn't that make a superior bike, given the chasis upgrades on 06-up models???
I would think so given the right suspension choices. Check out Dyna Mo's fatbob. That's an amazing bike, well done and well thought out. He's got the best of everything on that bike. Probably as close to an FXDX as you can get and one of my favorite bikes on this forum. If I were buying a new dyna, I would lean towards the fatbob.....but I'd end up spending an arm and a leg trying to catch up to where he has his. Everytime I see that bike, I f'n drool all over the place.

D

Old 02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by last saint
I would think so given the right suspension choices. Check out Dyna Mo's fatbob. That's an amazing bike, well done and well thought out. He's got the best of everything on that bike. Probably as close to an FXDX as you can get and one of my favorite bikes on this forum. If I were buying a new dyna, I would lean towards the fatbob.....but I'd end up spending an arm and a leg trying to catch up to where he has his. Everytime I see that bike, I f'n drool all over the place.

D
It sucks he got banned. The only thing cooler than his bike was his creepy molester avatar.

There is a set of FXDX 13" shocks on EBAY right now...I wonder if they are worth a look.?...

Quick Reply: best handling dyna