Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause rear turn signals to switch sides?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What would cause rear turn signals to switch sides?

Took one of my first rides of the season this weekend and had the wife behind me for the first part of it thankfully. Because when we get to the first stop and she says, "What are you doing? Are you trying to get yourself killed?" I'm like what do you mean. She says everytime you made a left turn you put on your right turn signal and for every right turn your left turn signal. At first I thought she was kidding so I go back to the bike and turn on the ignition and put on my left signal. What do I get but my left front signal and my RIGHT rear signal flashing. Same goes for the right signal. WHAT!??
So here's the question, the scoot (06 LR) is going on two years old. The signals have been working fine at least through last riding season cause riding buddies would have noticed. The only winter mods, by the dealer mind you, were the 10k service and the dyna wide tire kit. As far as I know the wide tire kit just relocates the wires to the rear signals so I can't imagine that would be the cause.
Just wanted your thoughts before I go to the dealer to get it fixed. If it is something they did that could of gotten me splattered on the road I'm certainly going to give them some grief over it. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:17 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What would cause rear turn signals to switch sides?

Your turn signal wires plug into your tail light. Maybe when the dealer installed the wide tire kit they plugged in the wire backwards. Easy to check. Just pull your tail light and check the connectors. If they are backwards just switch them back. Thats the only thing I can think of.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:19 PM
fendrix
Cruiser

They might have plugged them in backwards...I don't remember how they're all wired in. Pop your tailight off and trace the lines under the fender back to the tailight...if it seems screwy, switch them...I honestly can't remember if the turn signals have different plugs or not. Would seem to me that they'd all plug in together....

Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Go back to the last work done on your bike. The guy who got canned from Hardees and is now a tech at your HD Dealer f***ed it up and crossed the wires when they did your tire. This is my guess.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:24 PM
recross
Tourer

left and right turn signal bulbs????? 8-)

Old 04-20-2008, 04:25 PM
RKLeo
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep, theCertified HD tech crossed your wires and didnt check everything before you rode off.
That reminds me of the time I rode off with 18lbs of pressure in my tires.
[:@]

Old 04-20-2008, 04:47 PM
ggreenetx
Advanced

Could also be that the ground is not tightened. Changed out the tins on my scoot a couple of weeks ago and noticed they will blink opposite if not grounded correctly. Make sure everything is tight and grounded before you switch the connectors.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I popped the tail light off and switched the rear signal light connectors and voila` everything back to normal. So TIDE you nailed it, yahoo tech at the dealer switched them with the wide tire kit install and didn't check his work. So I called the dealer and complimented them for the work the did on the bike. They were all apologetic but still the reason you supposedly take ti to the dealer is to get quality work. Funny thing is this dealer touts their service department as one of the few dealers in the NE to get the prestigious 2007 GOLD BAR & SHIELD CIRCLE OF EXCELLENCE AWARD from the Harley-Davidson Motor Company. Go figure..............

Old 04-23-2008, 08:10 AM
xmarine
Road Master

BLINKER FLUID..........definitely!!!
Call the dealer back and tell them you had to add some!
xmarine